Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,171,623 times

Advertisements

The Devils Backbone is one of the most haunted places on earth located between Austin & San Antonio right in the Hill Country, there are plenty of ghost there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM

110 posts, read 255,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
Does anyone know the story of the closed bridge over in Arlington where those kids in the 80's supposedly drove off the bridge and they closed that road down? I know they closed that road and it's pretty eerie. A friend of mine and I actually visited this site one Halloween night a couple of years ago. It's off Greenbelt road I think.
Yes, you're talking about screaming bridge. The real tragedy actually happened in the 60s and is much more sad and disturbing than the urban legend that surrounds it.

The bridge at the time of the accident was wooden and had been burned down by some high school boys. They said they did it as a prank, but there was speculation it was burned to prevent the African American community of Mosier Valley from crossing the bridge to enter Arlington.

A group of high school girls, classmates of the boys who burned the bridge down, were joyriding down the road at night and did not see that the bridge had been burned. They crashed into the ravine and I believe the two in the front seats were killed instantly.

There was another accident in the same exact spot in the 90s where two more girls were killed by a train. Here is a link to pictures and the newspaper articles about the accidents:

Screaming Bridge Arlington Texas pictures by reidrocks - Photobucket

Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 137,360 times
in amarillo you can drive north for a good ways out of town on Western (i'm pretty sure that was the street) and eventually on the left you'd see a train bridge or something with pentagrams and other occult-looking symbols on it. on the other side of the bridge was a very small community, i think just one road that looped around. some houses had cauldrons out in front. at the far end of the community was a large red barn a ways off the street, with no livestock or anything around it.

the story i heard from a few people was that the place was a cult of satanists / witches / occultists who were up to something and had regular ominous ceremonies and frightening things going on in the barn.

that was about 15 years ago, and it's not an entirely implausible story. 'satanists' is kind of silly, and that was before witchcraft had the legitimacy that it does now, but something curious certainly seemed to be going on at that place. and i'm sure the stories were fueled by the strong bible beltness of the area.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,494,222 times
Here is a link that offers info on a lot of ghost towns in Texas.

Texas ghost towns.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,354 times
In San Antonio we have La LLorna (the Weeping Lady), the ghost train tracks, and the Donkey Lady Bridge that I can name off the top of my head.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,084,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Hey, guys, we might want to include this offering. It's a place where we don't know if there's any population at all.

Here's our link: Toyah Texas.
Those images make me sad. In the early 2000's, I knew the mayor of Toyah. Her husband was the local Justice of the Peace. During a bad storm in April of 2003 the bridge on IH-20 leading to Toyah collapsed. There were people around then. I guess they're all gone.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM

4 posts, read 8,199 times
When I was a kid we used to travel from Del Rio to San Antonio frequently and my family always spoke about the lady in white outside Bracketville. I believe she had a lover stationed nearby at the fort and when he left town he didn't tell her goodbye. Story goes she killed herself and walks along the highway now sometimes keeping pace with your car. This story used to scare me so bad as a kid I hated driving by there at night. Also, in Del Rio I heard about La Chusa which is a giant bird that visits you at night if you've done something terrible and tears you apart.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:19 AM

15,543 posts, read 10,531,284 times

La Llorona - YouTube

Old 04-10-2012, 11:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,892,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Those images make me sad. In the early 2000's, I knew the mayor of Toyah. Her husband was the local Justice of the Peace. During a bad storm in April of 2003 the bridge on IH-20 leading to Toyah collapsed. There were people around then. I guess they're all gone.
More than likely. It is sad to see these neat little places lose population like they are, but I guess it's inevitable. Pecos, Van Horn, Dryden, Sanderson, Iraan, et al.....all in a slow process of fading away. Although Pecos is part of the current boom (as is Ozona), when the next bust comes, they will probably continue fading away.

In some of those places, I swear I can feel the ghosts of the past! That happened the last time I went to Fort Lancaster, though it is a historic site, and not a ghost town per se.

Ditto Fort Davis.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 21,232 times
In Del Rio there is a headless man in a black suit, circa 1880, holding out a lantern as he walks the old cemetery near Loma De La Cruz. I guess he is looking for his head.

I've heard of other stories around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas