Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM

19 posts, read 29,392 times

Advertisements

Want to relocate to warmer south...not too close to radiated west coast...and not to close to Nuclear Plant Heaven in South east. I have two young boys who love the outdoors and we unfortunately (due to financial status) live in an urban town with little options and a lot of litter, industrial pollution. Looking for a Happy Clean Place to live free and grow our own food.

If anyone knows of other warm locations not prone to frequent natural disasters..please share.

My babies are growing and I do not want them to be so hardened by our NJ mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 02:42 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
whats your budget?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:41 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
You are fleeing the west coast and/or south due to perceived higher environmental standards in Texas? Are you paying absolutely no attention to the state of the environment in Texas?

Here's a site where you can compare states using a wide variety of air and watery quality standards.

Pollution Rankings: By State

Texas ranks at or near the top on just about every single pollution measure.

You should be looking at places like Colorado, Oregon or Vermont if you want clean air and water.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM

195 posts, read 284,055 times
Houston is prone to Hurricanes and floods. DFW is prone to tornadoes and winter weather. San Antonio/Austin are both prone to droughts. I don't think there's anywhere in Texas that isn't prone to some kind of natural disaster. But honestly these things happen so rarely (except the droughts) and with so little intensity, they shouldn't scare you from moving to Texas. I've lived in Houston for 10 years, and have never had to evacuate because of a hurricane (even though I have experienced 2). Most of Houston is far from the coast so you don't have to worry about storm surge. You only have to worry about wind and occasional flooding. The worst the wind really does is blow a few shingles off the roof and knock over a few fences and power lines.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
There are several nuclear power plants in Texas, so moving here will not get you away from them.

Unless you are willing to put up with a lot of winter weather, I really can't think of anywhere that doesn't have "natural disasters"...

Old 01-19-2014, 05:52 PM

195 posts, read 284,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
There are several nuclear power plants in Texas, so moving here will not get you away from them.
There are only 2. One near Bay City on the gulf coast and one west of Ft. Worth.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
There are only 2. One near Bay City on the gulf coast and one west of Ft. Worth.
Right. So the previous poster trying to steer her towards Houston won't work, and neither will the western part of DFW. I really can't think of anywhere in Texas that meets her criteria...

Old 01-25-2014, 11:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Right. So the previous poster trying to steer her towards Houston won't work, and neither will the western part of DFW. I really can't think of anywhere in Texas that meets her criteria...
I disagree, almost anyplace in Texas would be better than New Jersey, other then maybe Beaumont!

Old 01-25-2014, 01:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
You are fleeing the west coast and/or south due to perceived higher environmental standards in Texas? Are you paying absolutely no attention to the state of the environment in Texas?

Here's a site where you can compare states using a wide variety of air and watery quality standards.

Pollution Rankings: By State

Texas ranks at or near the top on just about every single pollution measure.

You should be looking at places like Colorado, Oregon or Vermont if you want clean air and water.
That data is too simple to be useful. Texas is the 2nd largest state by land area. That emission is not concentrated over a small area. The American Lung Association rankings are much more targeted at the city level. Compared to beautiful California, Texas' air quality is pristine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas