Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 AM

24 posts, read 49,866 times

Advertisements

Retiring in texas-- my husband and I are looking to retire soon so our concerns are very different from those of families looking for good schools or job seekers looking for employment, short commutes. We have lived all our lives in the San Diego area. Would like somewhere smaller, friendlier, pleanty to do. I like the character of older homes, libraries, book stores, docenting at small museums. We both like volunteer ushering at live theatre productions and my husband likes to play poker. I need clean air and low humidity due to asthma. We are currenty looking at Amarillo, Canyon and Lubbock. Considered San Antonio, Austin and Hill Country but were concerened about humidity there. Also considered Las Vegas but oh that summer heat! Want low crime area, low cost of living as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times
How about Marfa?

Marfa, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2009, 08:52 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
It looks like you figured it out. Both areas have very friendly people and low cost of living, but I'll echo what I said before in that I think Lubbck is probably a better fit. There is a major university, so Lubbock has more bookstores and theater productions. Lubbock has four libraries (although one was shut down due to mold problems. Luckily they are replacing it with a bigger library.) I believe the Texas Tech library is open to the public also.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 38,218 times
Default Don't Do It. Unless you don't mind racist attitudes, and are not Black, perhaps it will be okay. I am Black and I lived

Don't do it. If you don't mind racist attitudes and are not Black, perhaps it would be okay. I tried to retire there once. It lasted 9 months and $30,000. I am Black and was trying to establish my own business there. When the general populace found out that I was not running the business for the people who owned the business, word got out and they started staying away. Racism there was so severe, that I had a nervous breakdown. I was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Again: Don't do it. Especially Sweetwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomarciago View Post
Retiring in texas-- my husband and I are looking to retire soon so our concerns are very different from those of families looking for good schools or job seekers looking for employment, short commutes. We have lived all our lives in the San Diego area. Would like somewhere smaller, friendlier, pleanty to do. I like the character of older homes, libraries, book stores, docenting at small museums. We both like volunteer ushering at live theatre productions and my husband likes to play poker. I need clean air and low humidity due to asthma. We are currenty looking at Amarillo, Canyon and Lubbock. Considered San Antonio, Austin and Hill Country but were concerened about humidity there. Also considered Las Vegas but oh that summer heat! Want low crime area, low cost of living as well.

Last edited by Teocka; 03-08-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 38,218 times
Don't do it. If you don't mind racist attitudes and are not Black, perhaps it would be okay. I tried to retire there once. It lasted 9 months and $30,000. I am Black and was trying to establish my own business there. When the general populace found out that I was not running the business for the people who owned the business, word got out and they started staying away. Racism there was so severe, that I had a nervous breakdown. I was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Again: Don't do it.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teocka View Post
Don't do it. If you don't mind racist attitudes and are not Black, perhaps it would be okay. I tried to retire there once. It lasted 9 months and $30,000. I am Black and was trying to establish my own business there. When the general populace found out that I was not running the business for the people who owned the business, word got out and they started staying away. Racism there was so severe, that I had a nervous breakdown. I was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Again: Don't do it.
I don't suppose that it ever ocurred to you that your own attitude might have made a difference. It's always somebody else's fault, though, right?

And....why the double posts?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,271 times
Lubbock would probably be a good fit.....lots of cultural activities thru the university, good shopping and restaurants, lots of pride in community. Lubbock is growing and doing well economically - lots of nice homes in the west and southwest part of town - low crime rate in that part of town also. There are definitely four seasons there, some wind, some snow, but nothing is to the extreme, nothing last lasts very long at a time. There is a good mix of age groups there, also, unlike some of the suburbs in the cities. And West Texas is the friendliest part of the state.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,275,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I would choose this (or Alpine) over the other places you mentioned. The humidity is lower and there is a much lesser chance of tornadoes, much!! Even though LV is hot, it is full of crime, rating very high in the nation.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teocka View Post
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I know here in Lubbock, blacks comprise 10% of the population, and most of the Katrina refugees that came stayed because of the friendliness. In fact, a black chef opened up a Cajun restaurant, and it has been very successful. Some of the small towns can be closed-minded, but your experience does not apply to all places.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:52 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
You've lived all your life in San Diego...do you realize that it SNOWS in those cities, especially in Amarillo?! It gets downright FREEZING COLD there in the winter, and there is nothing to stop the wind. Plus, there are large cattle feedlots near Amarillo and Canyon, and LOTS of cotton gins near Lubbock. Both of these things will wreak havoc with asthma or allergies!

Honestly, think you should look at San Angelo. You'll find a LOT more retirees, a warmer climate, and friendly people. There are several small museums and theatre companies, plus a university which adds to the town's culture. The humidity in San Angelo is quite low, and there are very few cotton gins and only one cattle feedlot nearby. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas