Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 06:28 AM

5 posts, read 11,541 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is where to post this but here is the deal, My dad just announced he is retiring at the end of next year. He wants to sell our house soon, we live in Abq, Nm. It needs some repairs but it's in a desirable area so he thinks it'll go well. I'm 18 on the 14th of this month, and was planning on moving in with my brother in Tomball, Texas around march or april until i can get an apartment of my own in that area or maybe up in the northeastern area of the state. My parents, after they sell the house, want to move out to East Texas, around Marshall, Jefferson, Tatum or somewhere round there. I'm not sure if i should just go ahead and wait it out and move when my parents go, or go to my brothers in march/april. Noone seems to give me any good advice on this so i thought i'd come here. So what do yall think? Also, Any information on Tomball would be nice too. I work at Wendy's full time as of now, making decent money, and am finished with high school and plan on going to nursing school in Texas.
Again, i dont know if this is the right section to post this, sorry if it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
I'd go as soon as you can if you want to start nursing school at a college in Texas. I think there's a one-year residency requirement for getting in-state tuition so you'll need to settle as soon as possible. It probably doesn't matter if you're looking at a hospital-based nursing school.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,597 times
I agree. If you know what you want to do, just go for it. What would be the positives of waiting? It is hard for someone to give you adivice when they dont really know the whole story. do the old fashioned thing where you write it all down on a piece of paper. 2 columns one waiting and one going sooner.
sometimes the act of writing it and seeing it in writing helps you to see things more clear.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:47 AM

222 posts, read 720,464 times
Default Dad Retiring, moving to Texas, should i wait it out?

Tomball is a good place to live...I live very close. Lots of good apartments to choose from. Cost of living is cheaper in Tomball or east texas than it is in albuquerque. I've tried to relocate from houston to albuquerque on a few occasions, but the higher cost of living in abq plus the lower salaries in abq were too difficult to swallow. Hopefully, the new environment won't have a negative affect on your dad's allergies (if he has any)...i've heard people with allergies moving between the 2 locations and they either get a lot better or a lot worse, but i've never heard them staying the same. I'd love to live in abq....maybe I'll retire there one day....i think your dad is crazy to move out of albquerque, but he has his own good reasons I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas