Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM

44 posts, read 119,615 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone can give me their HONEST opinion ....
I WILL be relocating to Texas hopefully before the summer (fingers crossed) and i would like a place where i can buy a nice affordable home with a HUGE lot (HEY maybe even a ranch) and i would like the place to be some what country like. I have been checking up and doing researches on Mcallen, Harlingen, weslaco,Mission Rio grande etc and i pretty much have liked what i have read overall ....but just outta curiosity something made me check homes in San Antonio it self. I have NEVER been to Texas so i know nothing other than what i was looked up online. Is san antonio better as far as schools, affordable homes, government agencies etc.... Would greatly appreciate all and EVERY oppinion out there . thanx all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:00 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,955 times
There are a lot of posts on San Antonio. Do a search and you'll get a lot of information. How come you're relocating to TX if you've never been there? Did you get a job or something? We're in CA and will be visiting Texas in April with the hopes of eventually moving there. We're looking specifically at the Hill Country around Austin/San Antonio. I understand its not quite as humid or flat. Where are you coming from?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
There are a lot of posts on San Antonio. Do a search and you'll get a lot of information. How come you're relocating to TX if you've never been there? Did you get a job or something? We're in CA and will be visiting Texas in April with the hopes of eventually moving there. We're looking specifically at the Hill Country around Austin/San Antonio. I understand its not quite as humid or flat. Where are you coming from?

Opps sorry i haven;t checked the posts on san antonio should have done that first.. I am relocating to Texas basically because i want to (don;t mean to be rude) See i was born and raised in Mass. lived many yrs in Florida (could NOT handle the winters anymore in Mass. ) Florida was ok as far as the temperatures and all BUT too many tornadoes, cost of living went sky high in matter of months..... Lost my job in Florida after sept 11 attack in New York ( remember Florida depends strongly on the tourist) well after i became disabled and moved to Puerto Rico where i am loosing my mind ( been here 6 yrs this months ) and I need out ! Noticed that Texas has a way better cost of living , foreclosure homes are VERY reasonable, etc....
I have a 4 yr. old and a 17 yrs daughter and an 18 yr single mother and my grandson which will turn 1 this month and my husband , here in Puerto Rico life is tooooooooo wild , no respect what so eva . My 18 yr old daughter is a LPN and has NOT found a job life is pretty rough here ....
I think my young daughters deserve a chance to live in a nice respectful state as my other 2 daughters did ( my oldest daughters were born in florida) Laws here mean NOTHING i can;t continue living here its like a crazy jungle went wild here ..........
Wish you a good trip when you go to Texas

Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM

350 posts, read 1,117,955 times
Good for you. You might want to check out some of the Hill Country like Kerrville. Smaller towns. That's why we're looking at Texas too. We're tired of Calif. and all the craziness. Good luck to all of you. I hope everyone loves Texas and prospers.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:27 PM

362 posts, read 1,058,535 times
McAllen is a small town, so even when you include all the entire Rio Grande Valley and all the small towns in the valley, won't give you the big city ammenties that you will find in a city the size of San Antonio, over two million people. It's like a night and day comparison when comparing, economy, schools, shopping, dining, nightlife, quality of life. If your looking for country atmosphere, the San Antonio hill country would be nice, but pricey.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM

Question mcallen or san antonio

is mcallen country like ? or is it a busy city ?................ how does the government offices work? do you get the assistance needed or do you get the run around? i ask cause i am disabled and as soon as i move to texas i have to report to the Social Security office etc and notify my address change and such ......
if i was to move to mcallen where would my nearest Social security office be located?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 AM

436 posts, read 1,614,571 times
you could research the ss offices locations online. I think san antonio or the surrounding smaller towns would offer you more opportunities.

I have never been to mcallen, but had a friend who grew up there, and could not wait to leave. I got the sense it was a small town feel.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,720,243 times
McAllen and San Antonio are very, very different from one another and both have had lots written about them on here. You should read all you can, but be sure and visit before you make any kind of decision.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:01 AM

5 posts, read 17,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needsomeinfo View Post
you could research the ss offices locations online. I think san antonio or the surrounding smaller towns would offer you more opportunities.

I have never been to mcallen, but had a friend who grew up there, and could not wait to leave. I got the sense it was a small town feel.

that is how many people who grow up in the valley feel, but most end up coming back after college because they love the "small town" feel. It's not that much of a small town but the people are pretty nice and everything is convenient.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 PM

100 posts, read 446,580 times
The only thing Mcallen and San Antonio have in common is there's a lot of mexicans that live there lol. McAllen/The Valley is it's own world. You have to go there to really get what we mean by that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas