Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,862 times

Advertisements

Good evening all,

1st time poster here. Thanks for any help anyone can give!!

Looking for some advise. I was down in the area about 3 weeks ago and really not as bad as I thought it might turn out to be. I'm getting relocated from the IL area and am having a hard time finding a home that I'd be happy buying. My problem is not the price of the homes (Looking in the 200-275 range) but when you throw taxes on top of that, gets to be a bit much. Is there somewhere in this area where taxes are a bit more what I might call reasonable? ;o) I don't mind 4-5 per yr but no way I'm going to to pay 8 grand a year. My kids are out of school so I'd really not be getting much value out of it. I'd like to be in the Hewitt area but if I have to commute a bit I could do that. (Like to keep it at no more than 30 mins.)

My thought is that if I'm going to relocate I should at least have a nice home I can enjoy. ;o)

Also one of the problem are a lack of homes for sale....(There are many lower priced homes but not as big as I'd like.

What I'd really like to find in something no more that 5 yrs old (perfer new) 4bd-3ba, 2500+, a place for my pooltable and a 3 car garage.....man finding a 3 car is pretty hard around there. Also my past 2 homes have been on close to a acre....(like some distance between myself and others living around me, lol) But realize that's not going to happen around there so long as it's bigger that where I used to live in Calif.

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,635,829 times
Have you looked in the Robinson or China Spring area?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:54 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,997 times
Property taxes are higher in Texas than in many areas of the country. Taxes in Hewitt are less than I pay in a rural Central Texas town. I think you can find a large enough home for less than the amount you quoted thereby lessening the tax burden. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:10 AM

709 posts, read 1,499,578 times
Watch out for government killers with flamethrowers...

Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,248,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Property taxes are higher in Texas than in many areas of the country. Taxes in Hewitt are less than I pay in a rural Central Texas town. I think you can find a large enough home for less than the amount you quoted thereby lessening the tax burden. Good luck.
I'd suggest they stay out of Hewitt and Woodway, taxes out there are CRAZY!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'd suggest they stay out of Hewitt and Woodway, taxes out there are CRAZY!
Where are you getting the numbers for your postings today? Hewitt and Woodway have the same tax rate as Waco and they're much nicer areas for the most part.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,248,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Where are you getting the numbers for your postings today? Hewitt and Woodway have the same tax rate as Waco and they're much nicer areas for the most part.
Hewitt and Woodway are much nicer, but the taxes are actually higher than the Waco area. I live in Houston now, but when I was living in Waco; Taxes were pretty high out in the suburbs compared to Waco

Old 01-04-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Hewitt and Woodway are much nicer, but the taxes are actually higher than the Waco area. I live in Houston now, but when I was living in Waco; Taxes were pretty high out in the suburbs compared to Waco
Then the site to which I'm referring where I'm getting the tax rates must not be correct. Good grief, how fair is that? We have to have something to rely on.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,239,197 times
Try looking a few miles outside Waco. There are some developments out to the west, towards McGregor, that may include nice sized lots and outside the city tax base. Another twenty years and they'll be a suburb, ready for resale.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:07 PM

109 posts, read 410,367 times
Bill, in case you are still around the boards. I looked up the tax charts for the Waco area. Adding together the County, ISD and City the tax rate is 2.59. In the Hewitt area it's 2.25. The cheapest tax rates I found were in Robinson, Crawford and Lorena due to the ISD rate.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas