Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:46 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,393,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
TexasGirl@Heart i have never heard of that deal you use to thaw out your lock on your car door just to get in. wow. thats crazy! why on earth do people live in places that cold, or where you have to shovel every day in the winter?
LOL!! It was 1 degrees yesterday for a low with wind chill of -2 here in Pittsburgh. I didn't even attempt to open my car doors....I kept my butt inside. I might have to pull this baby out to get into my car today! We don't shovel everyday! There is only a dusting of snow on the ground right now. It's actually too cold to snow right now. YES, it does get TOO COLD to snow!! We live here because it's where we were raised by our families. Thank God that he has given me the good sense I was born with to get the heck out of the frozen tundra soon!

While everyone around you is shivering and chipping away at the ice, you’re snug, cozy, warm and on the road in seconds! This pocket-sized de-icer is battery powered to deliver instant heat to the lock probe. Simply slide the probe out, insert it into the frozen lock and push the “on” button. In just a few seconds you can unlock your car and go! There’s even a built-in light for those dark parking lots and comes with a sturdy key ring. Requires 2 AAA batteries (not included).

Last edited by TexasGirl@Heart; 12-23-2008 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,393,744 times
Yep, my doors were frozen shut...just came inside from trying to open them. I finally got the back passenger door open and crawled inside. The car started up without any problems--Thank God! So now I'll let it run for about 20 minutes to dethaw it! It is 12 degrees here today.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,914,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
most of Texas has some very cold winters in MY opinion. heck, except for last Saturday when it hit 79 degrees, i have had to wear thermals, goose down filled snow suit, tall fleece lined UGG boots, scarf, hat, gloves, and on top of all that, a heavy Mossy Oak camo winter coat..just to walk the dogs. i have electric blankets on my couch in the living room and on my bed......
Boy, you ARE cold-natured, aren't you?!?

The older I get, the more cold-tolerant I've become. Go figure that one out. The hot-as-hell WT Texas summers didn't even faze me when I was a kid/teenager/ very young adult.

Now I can't stand them, and even Alamogordo is too warm right now.

I had to laugh when I went to the grocery store the other day. I saw everything from shorts to goosedown jackets with fur-lined hoods!! I had on jeans and a long-sleeved t-shirt, and that's all I needed. It was about 55 degrees.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:22 AM

322 posts, read 905,044 times
Cathy,

I'm the exact reverse of you. When I was younger, the cold didn't faze me. My mom would make me wear a coat to school and I wouldn't feel cold. I even moved up north and lived in Boston for 3 years. I didn't feel cold much there. So I moved to Fairbanks, Alaska. Now I'm cold all the time. I can't get warm enough. I go tanning and lie in the hot booth every day and still don't feel that warm. Heat doesn't bother me anymore. Cold bothers me a lot now. I dream about hot weather and sunshine every night.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:37 PM

389 posts, read 1,659,518 times
It was 8 degrees here in the bluegrass mon. morn.it warmed up to 19.tues. it felt better.by christmas its supposed to be warmer.As a native Texan I miss the dryer west texas weather.I don't like the black ice that forms here.but the last 2 winters haven't been to bad.Kentucky may be slightly colder than I'm used to.but you learn to adapt.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,990,515 times
I have lived in Ohio and New York and adapted very well to the weather.

Then again, I'm a person who would rather deal with the cold than the humid heat.

In Denver, temperatures are normally in the upper 40's during this time of year. That isn't that bad. We get such weather in San Antonio after every winter cold front. Denver is a great place to live.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 24,452 times
I Grew up in Dallas & east TX. Have lived in KS since I was 19, I'm 62 now. I hate the cold, snow, tornades. I would move back in a heartbeat, but my wife is from here. All her family is here, so it wouldn't be fair to her. My brothers are far apart, one in Houston, the other in SC. Guess I'll die here. Had a good career here, and have lots of friends, that means a lot. I mostly stay inside in the winter.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 AM

469 posts, read 1,454,141 times
It has been in the 70's for the past few days (I am just outside of Houston.) That sucks. It should not be warm in December. It was hard to get into the Christmas spirit when I was wearing capris and a short sleeve shirt. We also had to turn on the A/C.
Just another reason to get the heck out of here!
Pennsylvania, here we come!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,076,126 times
bailey-dog and i spent 11 days over the christmas holidays visiting friends and family in chillicothe, brenham and houston and on most of those days, i was running around in shorts and LOVING IT......

left chillicothe on 01/02, still warm enough for capris, and as we approached the oklahoma border, i began to see a huge fog bank ahead..... no sooner were we across the border and into oklahoma than we were enveloped in cold, dark, gloomy fog for the next 160 miles or so.....

welcome back to the midwest...... bleah........

Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 PM

71 posts, read 306,631 times
We want to move to Montana. Can't wait. NO more HUMIDITY and actual winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas