Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM

21 posts, read 30,865 times

Advertisements

doctorjef, wow we were niegbors I guess. I know Chevy Chase well, ( the area not the actor) glad to hear from you. Maybe we met. Although we appear to be from the opposite ends of the political spectrum I would be happy to talk to you about many things. One of which is knowing the Johnsons. I have to respectfully disagree about Ladybirds accent, but cannot offer any emperical evidence. I did not know that you spent time growing up in DC. I thought it was "Barnaby Place" but I certainly could be wrong. Do you have any memories of the Broad Branch market? Or the Uptown Theatre? A great place to live when I was young. I defer to your knowlege being that you hold a doctorate. But I still believe that Ladybird held her original accent. I had two freinds that attended school in England during 7-10th grade and twenty years later they still had some of their English accent.I get your " code switching" perspective but I must say my Father, James MacInness Henderson never lost his DEEEEEEP Southern drawl until the day he died. And if I may say so sir, their was NO fake in his accent.
BTW we might have attended church together! Although we were Episcopicalian, we also attended church with the Johnsons!!
May I ask what your affiliation with the family was? Again with all due respect, just would like to know if we may have met those many years ago.Again my Dad was chief legal council for JFK during the election and wa General Council for the FTC. 1960-1968
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:39 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,997,441 times
Bill, there is a street called Barnaby Place -- my best friend's house was there and it was one block over from 32nd Place. However, the original development comprising that bit of NW DC was called Barnaby Woods. There was a neat little cobblestone footpath that ran between 32nd Pl. and Barnaby Pl. -- very convenient for us and very annoying to an unpleasant old lady and her old maid daughter who lived next to the footpath on the 32nd Pl. side. As you may recall, many streets in that part of DC have both "Street" and "Place" versions, so we were on 32nd Pl. but the street immediately in back of us was 32nd St. I think you must have lived in or closer to Cleveland Park, since you were immediately off Conn. Ave. (if I understood correctly)? I went to Lafayette Elementary and then to Alice Deal Jr High. Then we moved. I used to spend some time at the Chevy Chase Community Center, just off Chevy Chase Circle and next to what was then a Safeway. Also used to go to the People's Drug on the opposite side of the street on Connecticut Ave, as well as the one over on Wisconsin Ave where the Giant Foods and a nice little shopping center was (close to Woodward & Lothrup). Etc, etc. Those years, together with previous ones at Quantico, caused me to imprint this part of the country deeply - primarily its nature, topography and history - which was a major factor in moving to northern Delaware after we returned to the States from Europe. DC sadly is too expensive these days to think seriously of living there.

Oh and actually we only had a passing acquaintance with the Johnsons. Got to chat briefly with them after church and such. They were frequently in attendance at National City Christian, which was their regular church home in the capital. My dad was initially assigned to the Pentagon as a naval liaison officer but hated the regime that McNamara (sp?) ran there and got himself assigned to a largely civilian think-tank called the Center for Naval Analysis.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:09 AM

21 posts, read 30,865 times
Default Wow, Samll world!

Yes, I do now remember about the Street and place thing. And boy we must have crossed paths sometime, as I went to Lafeyette also! We moved from 28th. st to 33rd and Broad Branch avenue just in time for me to attend Lafeyette in first grade. It was close enough for me to walk there even at that age. I was in class Nov. 22 1963 when we were all sent home that day. That was part of our progression that eventualy landed us in Bethesda. There was a
neat little place called The Broad Branch Market just a couple of blocks down and they would give us candy when we went there. when it closed sometime in the mid Nineties, The WaPo gave it two full pages as it had been run by the same family for about a century! At Chevy Chase Shopping Center where "Woodies" as we called it was there was a cool hobby shop called "Vicars" where we got our HO train sets and racing cars. That was a really great area to grow up in it still is, but sadly I have to agree with you there is no way that we could even think about living in that area any more.
Anyhoo, it is great reminiscing with you. Give me a holler if you want to talk more about the old days in DC or just shoot the breeze sometime.

Best of Luck,

Bill Henderson

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,989,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NintendoTogepi View Post
I think it's probably my least favorite.
Why would anyone here care what someone from NY thinks. Mnay here in stereotyping your area accents call it ganster accent.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:52 AM

443 posts, read 1,568,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
LMAO you are right no they don't!!! I have lived in both Cali and Fla and there is a definite distinction!!! I will take Cali any day--When I first moved to Fla they said I sounded like a Valley Girl...Have you ever tried to talking to the people from the Florida Pan handle---ooooh brother that is a southern drawl in and of itself I have lived in Fla large percentage of my life and because I don't have a southern draw and am very articulate so many people in this region think I am from NY...I asked one guy why did you think I was from NY--this was in Florida--He was like because you are so confident and articulate. So in other wards Floridians can't be confident or articulate??? BTW I sound NOTHING like a New Yorker
I'll take southern drawl over valley girl anyday. Valley girl tends to be the definition of shallow and dumb. If we're throwing judgements around, there you go. I have an idea, why don't we all step back from judging off the cuff. That in itself is stupid. The guy in Florida was probably trying to hit on you, nothing else. I don't think there is any reason to suggest that any particular region, in and of itself, does not have any citizens who are confident or articulate. That just shows a nice helping of hubrous with no real ability to interpret the environs that surround you.

Btw, Nintendo, if you don't like the Texas accent be on your way

Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM

64 posts, read 105,000 times
Wow... 25 pages of response for a comment made by a poster whose name is Nintendo somethingoranother... first hint he’s probably a kid with too much time is “nintendo”. A video game.

So, who gives a pile of cow dung what he likes or dislikes? Especially somebody who probably drivels on with a nasally, wise-guy dialect that sounds like a shyster selling (hot) used cars or has an arm under his overcoat lined with watches.

Give me a southern gal with a beautiful southern drawl anytime over some trashy sounding slickster from Noo Yawk!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,997,441 times
You're about six months late, I'm afraid.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
You're about six months late, I'm afraid.
Digging deep, I suppose.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,008,271 times
Why worry about it? There are variations in accent across this country, but as long as it's English, why complain? People get their panties in a wad these days over the most petty and asinine things.

OP: If you don't like the Texas accent, then go elsewhere. We don't want to hear it...

Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Why worry about it? There are variations in accent across this country, but as long as it's English, why complain? People get their panties in a wad these days over the most petty and asinine things.

OP: If you don't like the Texas accent, then go elsewhere. We don't want to hear it...
OP has not been around since the middle of 2009. Die thread, die! There is something to be said about locking old threads.

Last edited by Bo; 07-05-2011 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Deleted at member request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas