Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 07:40 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,219 times

Advertisements

I have never been to either place but dh has a very good job offer in either place that seems too good to pass up. We will moving from Virginia and have three small children. Which would you choose?

Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
wow..talk about vast contrasts. i dont know much about Midland. i worked in Wichita Falls and lived about 30 minutes southeast of there. i love the area for the fact that it is strong in family values and is "cowboy'd up". personally i wouldnt live IN Wichita Falls, but would live in one of the great small towns on the outskirts and there are so many choices-Henrietta, Burkburnett, Archer City, WINDTHORST (great great town!), Electra, Olney...oh heck the list goes on and on......its just a WONDERFUL area and i miss it so much. keep us updated!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,767 times
Default Use Search Function

If you use the "Search This Thread" function and type in the name of each city, you'll see a couple of specific threads pop up (and a lot of other non-specific). That'll give you something to read until you get more responses.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,635,365 times
I lived in WF 6 years and loved it! Nice, clean area, friendly people, good economy, university city, good shopping. DFW area a few hours away. No bad smells there!!

Old 02-17-2007, 08:29 PM

90 posts, read 471,971 times
Lived in both cities. Stayed in Norfolk for a couple months. Currently live in Wichita Falls. There is nothing around Midland-Odessa "metro". A 2 hour trip gets you to ... uh...? The scenery is lack luster even for a desert. It is the exact opposite of VA. Wichita Falls is not missing much, however a 2 hour drive gets you Dallas-Forth Worth or Oklahoma City. A nice day trip. Wichita Falls has a more diverse economy. A visit would be in order regardless of which city you choose. If you choose Wichita Falls I would recommend living in the city. It is not to large to have the draw backs. I would only consider Burlburnett as an alternative "suburb".

Old 02-17-2007, 09:26 PM

30 posts, read 181,685 times
I have resisted until now the urge to share what I think of Wichita Falls.

I just do not like that town! We are presently in a small town one hour from WF and because our town's small, I must choose between WF and Ft. Worth for real shopping.

Wichita Falls just doesn't have my favorite stores. Apparently they HAD a GAP store, but it's gone. There's no Barnes & Noble, Chick Fil-A, Gymboree, J. Crew, Macy's, etcetera. (YES, the metro isn't that far away. I know. I'm just trying to describe to help give complete picture.)

The university there (Midwestern) seems fine, nice.

For reasons I can't describe, it feels like a rough town to me and my eyebrows go up when I read descriptions of "clean" here. I can't imagine WF being described as clean.

I know saying those things may seem harsh. I just want you to have one more opinion.

You will definitely want to visit either city before deciding, right?

Old 02-18-2007, 05:33 AM

384 posts, read 1,669,219 times
Thank you all for your replies! Unfortunately I can't visit before moving really because my six year old is in school and I have 10 month old twins. I'll be staying in Virginia until the end of the school year but we must decide my mid-March because that is when dh is to start his new job (in the health care field) Dh has been to both places and he said he prefers WF. I though Midland would be more diverse as far as being closer to Mexico, New Mexico and the Guadalupe N. P. I asked a realtor about tornadoes in both areas and I was told they are rare in both places and very few homes have basements! I was really surprised. I really don't want to leave Virginia but this opportunity for dh is too good to pass up in terms of salary and retirement benefits! Regardless, it would only be for a few years and I guess I can live anywhere for a few years.

I'm also very worried about public schools and all the emphasis on passing those state exams even for an elementary school student. I prefer the independent school system and currently dd is enrolled in one. Only Midland has an indep. school (non-parochial and accredited by the independent school association) WF has many private schools but all religious. We go to CHurch and all but prefer school to be in the indep. system.

So lots to think about! Housing seems very affordable in both areas....I will miss the mountains though!

Thanks for your help. I will keep checking back for more info/input. It is really helpful.

Pam

Old 02-18-2007, 08:04 AM

Pam, you will be FINE in Wichita Falls. it's not the BEST place in Texas, but FAR from the worst. no, it's not a shopping mecca, but it has so much to offer, if you look. i dont think it is a very pretty city by any means, but the outskirts have some of the best small towns in Texas! but the best part is the people........the people are friendly. i sure miss it. and the hospital is GREAT!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:42 PM

90 posts, read 471,971 times
WF does not have the variety of shopping that a large city would have. If I had to choose between shopping in Ft. Worth or WF I would pick Ft. Worth every time. Clean... hmm... I don't think any city is clean. I think parts of each city are cleaner. As a comparison of these two Midland is more dirty. As you have to sweep the sand\dust regularly. Basements are a rarity in Texas, storm cellars however are not. I am not sure on the "accredited by the independent school association" but the school system is Wichita Falls Independent School District. The private schools are religous based.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM

i do know the private schools are very good there. also look into Wichita Falls Country Club-very nice!
you will find strong family values and friendship in Wichita Falls!
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas