Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Nice but I dont see anything breath taking this is stuff most cities have been doing inclulding Houston
Really, The video boi post, actually starts off by saying this is being done in other cities and that the narrator felt it needed to be done in Dallas as well. The narrator does name a couple of cities but I doubt he is trying to say those are the only other cities doing this. I'm sure every city that does this will have something unique to add to it.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:15 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
I believe where we have an advantage in Dallas is we are more compact and cohesive than Houston. Houston has a great arts district, a nice downtown, Montrose is a neat area, etc... but it is all disconnected, too large, spead out, and does not lend itself to walking, except in those specific areas. In Dallas, everything is starting to tie together to form a large, cohesive, walkable area, or at least accessible via public transit. For instance in Dallas, if you use Klyde Warren Park as a central point, you have tons of stuff within walking distance; you have the new science museum, art museum, Nasher, asian museum, aquarium, Kennedy musuem, arts district, Katy Trail, etc... You can walk to the West End, which is a shell of its former self, but still has lots of character and restaurants. You can take the train to Deep Ellum, which is bouncing back quickly from its years of decline and now has lots of character and neat restaurants. You can walk to the Farmers Market, which in the next couple of years is going to be quite impressive. You can take the trolley to Uptown, or you can just walk there. Soon you will be able to take the trolley to Oak Cliff. You can take the train to the zoo, or to Northpark mall, and soon to DFW airport. You can take the TRE train from downtown Dallas to downtown Fort Worth, and from there you can take busses directly to their zoo, their museums, etc... The amount of foot traffic and energy around downtown, uptown, etc... is absolutely amazing considering what it was even two years ago, and I anticipate it will only increase.
I've mentioned this before. There is definitely a noticeable difference in Dallas as all of the "cool" neighborhoods flow into each other. Another thing that helps the Dallas neighborhoods is that they aren't huge. It's much easier to create an identity with a smaller area.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yes. It is a Heavy Rail commuter system. The Denton Co. Rail commuter rail is light commuter rail.
I wonder why people say that Dallas doesn't have heavy rail. The TRE is over 30 miles of track.
That's a pretty decent amount of heavy rail service.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houston is more about boasting about HOW MANY museums they have which are buildings full of stuff thats only to be stared at while walking through. Dallas arts district is more interactive with the type of events that they host. Its more inviting and easier for the average person to engage into whats going on...not just stand and stare....I mean we have stand and stares also but thats not what defines our arts district....Our Arts District creates "experiences".

Dont get me wrong though...Houston does have better museums I hear.
Dallas Arts District has the potential to be a lot more interesting, but it's just not there yet as it's a new and growing area of the city. I wouldn't say it's a better experience than the Houston Museum District. The only advantage DAD has is it's central location in the core of the city. Other than that, both museum areas offer a similar level of excitement and both are very nice areas.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas Arts District has the potential to be a lot more interesting, but it's just not there yet as it's a new and growing area of the city. I wouldn't say it's a better experience than the Houston Museum District. The only advantage DAD has is it's central location in the core of the city. Other than that, both museum areas offer a similar level of excitement and both are very nice areas.
Our Arts District is not a museum district though. Thats the biggest difference. We have alot of museums also but they are not all in one area like in Houston. So we have museums (and keeps adding them)and an arts district. Houston's museum district is very nice with notable museums...but our "ARTS" district is developing into a total different beast.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Our Arts District is not a museum district though. Thats the biggest difference. We have alot of museums also but they are not all in one area like in Houston. So we have museums (and keeps adding them)and an arts district. Houston's museum district is very nice with notable museums...but our "ARTS" district is developing into a total different beast.
You keep saying that but your nor really saying what is so diffrent about it .right now I see nothing that really sperates it from Houston Museum district.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:49 AM

433 posts, read 660,849 times
This has to be the most useless thread in the Texas forum

Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Default Dallas (DFW) plans, development follows

Quote:
New study: Almost $4 billion in real estate projects in the works near DART’s rail stations

Two recent studies looked at how DART’s operations, build-out and train stations affect the economy and regional development. Here’s a look at some of the findings:

$1.5 billion: Value of developments built around DART stations

$751 million: Value of multifamily residences developed near DART stations

$393 million: Value of retail projects near DART stations

$224 million: Value of office projects near DART stations

13.9 percent: Premium that office properties near DART stations command

$36.4 million: Property tax contributions from land near DART stations

$3.9 billion: Value of developments currently being planned around DART stations

$46,000: Amount DART paid for the two studies

13: Number of cities DART services

61: Number of DART light-rail stations

85: Miles of DART light-rail lines

17 years: Age of the DART light-rail system (very much in it's infancy, already making a big impact)
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/20140128-studies-dart-a-regional-economic-engine-spurring-development.ece

Old 01-29-2014, 08:12 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I've mentioned this before. There is definitely a noticeable difference in Dallas as all of the "cool" neighborhoods flow into each other. Another thing that helps the Dallas neighborhoods is that they aren't huge. It's much easier to create an identity with a smaller area.
Except you Dallasites are forgetting that light rail already connects the museum district with areas like downtown (where the theater district is). Montrose should be connected too by the university line, but Houston has an idiot politician named john Culberson. You also have to remember that Houston's core is much larger than Dallas'. It is the center of a metro of over six million. the areas you guys are talking about in Dallas are tiny in comparison.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:44 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Except you Dallasites are forgetting that light rail already connects the museum district with areas like downtown (where the theater district is). Montrose should be connected too by the university line, but Houston has an idiot politician named john Culberson. You also have to remember that Houston's core is much larger than Dallas'. It is the center of a metro of over six million. the areas you guys are talking about in Dallas are tiny in comparison.
What does this mean? ....So are you saying its worse because we are itty bitty are you saying its worse because Houston is bigger?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas