Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,538,621 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter, really. This whole debate is founded on a fallacy, and Houston's catholic population isn't what it's being made out to be. As a matter of fact, Houston's population is 5% more Southern Baptist than Dallas's (28% compared to 23%). Dallas is 3% more Catholic (39% to 36%). Does that really mean anything? Nothing significant except to exhibit how quickly people on this forum will make up "facts" and run with them. That and how much Houston people love to exaggerate their diversity like they are New York or Chicago.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 01-20-2011 at 02:42 AM..

Old 01-20-2011, 07:16 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,640,923 times
Honestly Dallas and Houston in regards to religion are pretty damn comparable. It's mega churches in both cities. And even if other religions outside of the major ones are more visible in Houston you still wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two

Old 01-20-2011, 08:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
It doesn't matter, really. This whole debate is founded on a fallacy, and Houston's catholic population isn't what it's being made out to be. As a matter of fact, Houston's population is 5% more Southern Baptist than Dallas's (28% compared to 23%). Dallas is 3% more Catholic (39% to 36%). Does that really mean anything? Nothing significant except to exhibit how quickly people on this forum will make up "facts" and run with them. That and how much Houston people love to exaggerate their diversity like they are New York or Chicago.
Links to back up your numbers?

There's no way in hell Dallas is more Catholic than Houston. The states largest diocese is down there & the nations 3rd largest Hispanic population lives in Harris County.

A comparison of Houston city proper to Dallas city proper isn't a fair assessment to begin with considering Houston is twice the size of Dallas.

How about lets compare metros instead?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Also; unlike Dallas. You can find a sizable Black Catholic population in Houston. People forget Houston has had the Creole/Cajun influence for quite some time.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,858,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Also; unlike Dallas. You can find a sizable Black Catholic population in Houston. People forget Houston has had the Creole/Cajun influence for quite some time.
Lol, one of my mom's friends, who was raised Baptist, converted to Catholicism once he moved to Houston.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Lol, one of my mom's friends, who was raised Baptist, converted to Catholicism once he moved to Houston.
lol same with my cousin. I'm just saying though because you know Southeast TX and Southern Louisana is heavily catholic with a large black population and that influences has spread to Houston.

I know Houston during the 1920s??? (I think) had a small area within 5th ward called Frenchtown. LOTS of creole women here in Houston that I've met.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,538,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Honestly Dallas and Houston in regards to religion are pretty damn comparable. It's mega churches in both cities. And even if other religions outside of the major ones are more visible in Houston you still wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two

I agree with this. The truth is in the middle. Houston is nowhere near as diverse as some think and Dallas isn't as homogeneous as some think. Houston may have a bigger population so they have bigger numbers, but percentage wise both cities are only a couple of digits off when it comes to both religious and racial breakdowns. They're so similar it's not even worth arguing.

Quote:
Links to back up your numbers?

There's no way in hell Dallas is more Catholic than Houston. The states largest diocese is down there & the nations 3rd largest Hispanic population lives in Harris County.

A comparison of Houston city proper to Dallas city proper isn't a fair assessment to begin with considering Houston is twice the size of Dallas.

How about lets compare metros instead?
I didn't have to go far.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

I couldn't tell you a quick number as far as metros go. I'm sure the number of protestants increase in both areas when you start including Collin County, Northeast Tarrant County, The Woodlands, et cetera. But I can tell you that Dallas's Asian population more than doubles in a lot of its suburbs like Ricardson, Garland, and Plano, and that Asian influence is much greater in those areas than Dallas proper itself.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I agree with this. The truth is in the middle. Houston is nowhere near as diverse as some think and Dallas isn't as homogeneous as some think. Houston may have a bigger population so they have bigger numbers, but percentage wise both cities are only a couple of digits off when it comes to both religious and racial breakdowns. They're so similar it's not even worth arguing.

I didn't have to go far.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Dallas-Texas.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

I couldn't tell you a quick number as far as metros go. I'm sure the number of protestants increase in both areas when you start including Collin County, Northeast Tarrant County, The Woodlands, et cetera. But I can tell you that Dallas's Asian population more than doubles in a lot of its suburbs like Ricardson, Garland, and Plano, and that Asian influence is much greater in those areas than Dallas proper itself.
Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston

Territory 10 counties in Southeast Texas

Catholic population 1,045,030

Established May 4, 1847

Archdiocese of Dallas

Territory 9 counties in North Texas

Catholic population 955,298

Established July 15, 1890

Houston's diocese is 43 years older than Dallas' & has almost 90,000 more registered Catholics.

Statistics

About 1.3 million Catholics live within archdiocesan boundaries, making the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston the largest in the state of Texas and the eleventh largest in the United States. Catholics make up about 21.4% of the total population. There are about 447 priests, 200 diocesan, 206 religious, and 33 other, which means there are about 2,297 Catholics per priest. the archdiocese has about 378 permanent deacons. All these clergy serve about 150 parishes

Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,611,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's diocese is 43 years older than Dallas' & has almost 90,000 more registered Catholics.
I think you just like to argue for arguments sake.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,997,236 times
So we are down to arguing over priests now??

LOL, what next? Who pampers their poodles more???
I think I would give Dallas the win on that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas