Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I hope it is still there. There's a CFS with my name all over it.

In cream gravy.
Cream gravy is the only way! BTW, if you're ever in Fort Worth, Massey's Restaurant has great CFS. On Wednesday and Friday, they have all-you-can-eat catfish that is excellent. It's on the near South Side of FtW on Eighth Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 09:20 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
So anyway Daisy-Duke ... your getting some secondhand culinary advice.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,530 times
how about cedar creek tx small town feel and great people.old shops in bastrop. movies,skating rink.retail stores.small subdivision in cedar creek.i have been here 30 years and would not trade for anything.crime is every where but people watching out for each other is a plus. and we have a good sheriff.you can build your home or move a mobile home in and make what you want. the people are friendly and helpful.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:13 PM

7 posts, read 19,486 times
Small town, not set to grow....hmm....good schools....Palestine Tx

Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,131 times
Daisy...

I've been quiet for a while (been busy).. but I still think you should take a look at San Angelo... you may discount it because of its isolated location (1 hour from an interstate), but that's what makes our city so safe (who wants to drive 1 hour to a small town, commit a crime, and drive 1 hour to get away? lol)

We have several community swimming pools, winters are mild, we have an indoor mall (Welcome to Sunset Mall) and several strip malls throughout the town. We have Best Buy, Ross, Petco, Academy Sport, WalMart, & Sams.

It's large enough to have what I need to go shopping, but small enough I run into people I know (or have seen frequently). It's a town like most in Texas where you can still say "hi" and get a "hello" back.

We have several yearly events (parades, concerts, etc.). In fact, coming up, the city symphony is throwing a free concert at our riverstage. Every year they also have a kids fishing fest, where they net the Concho river and dump a bunch of catfish... then the kids all get to fish!!

Schools here are competitive with the state/national average. Like any city you'll find good schools and not the best schools.

Crime is normally relegated to kids being kids, or the more serious crimes (of which there are very few) normally being between people who know each other or relatives.

We have a couple rivers (primary being the Concho), parks in just about every housing community, and one recreational lake (Nasworthy). And this IS Texas, so we have local community sports through the city and YMCA.

Here's a link to the city paper gosanangelo.com : San Angelo, Texas News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information, and feel free to ask if you have any questions. If you've already marked this town off as not an option, good luck with your search!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Default George's Cafe at Post, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
High_Plains_Retired: Very well said. I have always been awed by the expanses of West Texas. I rather like the little town of Post about 40 miles SE of Lubbock. The escarpment at the edge of the High Plains fascinates me, especially along FM 669. You're right, people either love it or hate it out there. George's Cafe in Post (I hope it's still there) has the best chicken-fried steak I have ever had.
Catman, if you are still around, I wanted to let you know my brother and I returned from east Texas about three weeks ago and located George's Cafe on Highway 84 (the main drag through town). You are absolutely right about their chicken-fried steaks! It had to be one of the best I've ever had.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:41 AM

25 posts, read 57,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
... Most small west Texas towns have town events with small parades of old cars, tractors, wagons and codgers. Fourth of July celebrations are normally huge. To live in a small west Texas town one needs only a hardy spirit and a love for freedom. Best of luck in your decision.
I have lived near Philadelphia, PA, all of my 54 years. My corrupt township has never, never had a Fourth of July parade. Some Texans might consider that un-patriotic. While I am close enough to go into Center City Philadelphia 7 miles east of my home, Philly is not my home town and the crowds make it impossible. The spirit of Texas, and your patriotic fervor is awesome. I hope to not only visit again soon but to move to the Panhandle area. And one day, one year, enjoy a small town Fourth of July celebration.

Attached is a photo I found on line from this year's celebration in Canyon, Texas.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:14 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Default Best of luck in your move

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_D_Robb View Post
Attached is a photo I found on line from this year's celebration in Canyon, Texas.

Great photo! It reminded me of fireworks display this year across the street (and nearly above) my house at Muleshoe, Texas which is 80 miles SW of Canyon.

A friend of mine from Chadd's Ford, PA retired several years ago to near Bandera, Texas and, although not in the Panhandle, he loves it.

Best of luck in your move.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 AM

360 posts, read 1,087,731 times
Daisy Duke, If you're still looking at this thread, I've got a few ideas for you. If you're into hiking I'm guessing you enjoy hiking in places with good scenery. Consider Canyon, which has the nearby Palo Duro Canyon state park. By volume Palo Duro is the second largest canyon in the U.S. with excellent hiking and camping. Canyon is a very pleasant small town with a Super Walmart and Amarillo is close for most everything else. Canyon does have a small university, but that helps with the economic base. You should know that the Texas Panhandle has the worst winter weather in Texas.

I live in Lubbock and my job takes me to Levelland one day a week. It does have a Super Walmart and mostly fast food restaurants. As towns go it's ok but not much going on outside of the oil business or cotton growing. If hiking/scenery is your thing you won't find it there.

If you like woods East Texas is the best. Just keep in mind the further east you go the more humid it gets. To me the best of all worlds in Texas is the Hill Country. Great outdoors/scenery. Kerrville has opportunities for work and about everything you'd need. But you may find rent there expensive.

A good research tool if you want to know where to find a Walmart is the Rand McNally road atlas sold at Walmart. They list every Walmart, Super Walmart, and Sam's Club in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

I highly recommend San Angelo also. They have a very nice riverwalk, a good mall, alot of restaurants, and it's very laidback and friendly. The thing about larger towns in West Texas is the surrounding areas are very low in population. The small cities themselves just aren't that hectic, and they don't have tens of thousands pouring into and out of them from the outside every day like in the eastern U.S.. So anywhere in West Texas is going to be pretty laidback. The big cities of Texas are pretty fast paced. But I've read of people moving to Houston from New York and thinking it's much slower paced.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:19 AM

13 posts, read 37,536 times
Hey reloco... we're from Michigan, too... we liked our town there, too, but LOVE not owning a shovel! lol We like the sights of East TX, but have seen some quaint little places all around the outskirts fo DFW. Rowlett/Rockwall seemed nice but not certain just hwo close that is? Are you moving cuz of the economy issues? We did. We still have yet to sell our house up there (ick!). Luckily we have a pretty good renter, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas