Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 PM

22 posts, read 64,800 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just found this forum and have enjoyed reading through the miles and miles of posts. I thought someone out there might be able to help. My partner and I are both near 60, recently retired and ready to move from the suburbs of Dallas to a quiet rural community, rural meaning something under 20,000 people. I know anything near Austin and the Texas hill country would be more accepting (generally) but we're not looking for a gay lifestyle (bars, etc.), just a live-and-let-live libertarian area. I'm a blue voter, hiker and reader. He is a blue-red voter and spends all his time in the garden. Just wondering how Athens and Tyler would be? Or maybe Brenham? Any comments on these areas or others would be appreciated.

All the best! JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 02:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
I'll throw Cameron Texas out to you to check out. Been out there a few times. It's a small but thriving rural community. Near Temple and/or College Station but far enough away that I don't see explosive growth destroying it.

I would suggest that, once you've checked out potential cities on the internet, you go for the weekend and just wander around the town and strike up conversations with people and ask them outright the pros and cons of living there.

Cameron Chamber of Commerce - Cameron Tourism Advisory Board

Old 01-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'll throw Cameron Texas out to you to check out. Been out there a few times. It's a small but thriving rural community. Near Temple and/or College Station but far enough away that I don't see explosive growth destroying it.

I would suggest that, once you've checked out potential cities on the internet, you go for the weekend and just wander around the town and strike up conversations with people and ask them outright the pros and cons of living there.

Cameron Chamber of Commerce - Cameron Tourism Advisory Board

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've never been to Cameron. I'll put it on our list. Maybe we'll visit next weekend. Thanks again! JD

Old 01-26-2008, 05:25 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,700 times
I've heard Kerrville attracts a lot of artists, but I've never been there.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I've heard Kerrville attracts a lot of artists, but I've never been there.

Premont, thanks for the suggestion. I agree, Kerrville is a nice artistic town, as are nearby Fredericksburg and Boerne. Prices are so inflated down in that area thanks to our California visitors, it's made purchasing property cost prohibitive for native Texans. Guess we're looking for a place not yet discovered by our neighbors to the west. JD

Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,785 times
The Marble Falls/Horseshoe Bay area is not nearly as expensive as Kerrville/Fredericksburg. It's kind of an odd collection of red and blue. Close enough to Austin for medical but we have an active local arts scene, community theatre etc.

golfgod

Old 01-26-2008, 07:41 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
New Braunfels, San Marcos and the area between Austin and San Antonio is a possibility.

A friend of mine, who is gay, owns a house around there and he enjoys it, but he says values are going up and things are getting a bit expensive.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:56 PM

595 posts, read 2,722,031 times
I live in Tyler area. Have you looked into Edom? If you live rural...people won't bother you. I'm not gay...however I know people who are and they havn't run into problems in E Texas. There is a nice size gay community in Tyler so I don't think there would be a problem with acceptance. As a whole the people of East Texas are a good bunch..it's just taken them a little longer. More and more people are moving here from the metroplex and it's becoming very diverse. Let me know how it's going.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGayCouple View Post
Guess we're looking for a place not yet discovered by our neighbors to the west. JD
Oh no..did I give away one of my Texas gems when I said Cameron ???
lol..I hope not as I have my eye on it for my hobby farm one day.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destin04 View Post
I live in Tyler area. Have you looked into Edom? If you live rural...people won't bother you. I'm not gay...however I know people who are and they havn't run into problems in E Texas. There is a nice size gay community in Tyler so I don't think there would be a problem with acceptance. As a whole the people of East Texas are a good bunch..it's just taken them a little longer. More and more people are moving here from the metroplex and it's becoming very diverse. Let me know how it's going.

Edom, hmmmm. I've never been through there, but it looks like a nice backroads drive from Canton to Tyler may be in the offing. This forum has been so helpful. Thanks again. JD

PS By the way I was born in East Texas. My immediate family lived there and thrived in the Assemblies of God and Baptist Churches. Couldn't ask for a better family so I understand completely about the good folk of East Texas. Present company included! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas