Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 07:14 AM

12,995 posts, read 13,471,712 times

Advertisements

It has changed a bit since we (my family) drove it in 1947.

Seriously though, It really started filling in noticeably in the 1980s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 08:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,524,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It will be people wanting to live in Austin but unable to afford it living in San Antonio but claiming they’re from Austin.
Kind of like they do now...

Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 AM

9,857 posts, read 13,793,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Kind of like they do now...
Just even more of them.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:52 PM

109 posts, read 71,942 times
Quote:
Just even more of them.
What's the purpose of that? Like just to go to Austin all the time and take pictures to post on social media to fool people into thinking you moved to Austin or how does that work?

Old 05-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
What's the purpose of that? Like just to go to Austin all the time and take pictures to post on social media to fool people into thinking you moved to Austin or how does that work?
They like the idea of Austin. The music, the food, the outdoors. They’re willing to drive the hour to experience those things. I don’t get it myself. However, they can’t afford to live there, or find the housing because no one is willing to sell.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:24 PM

6,528 posts, read 7,628,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The expansion and urbanization really happened in the last 10-15 years.
...yep, and Austin started to outshine San Antonio about 10-15 years ago at least on a national level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
I wonder if it'll ever be a recognized CSA like DC/Baltimore.
San Diego - LA/OC have military land that keeps the two metro areas from converging, SA and Austin have nothing from stopping it from being one big CSA. Even so, the total combined population will still be smaller than the Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston CSA's. A big difference between SA/Austin and other CSA's is that both cities are served by different television media outlets.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:24 AM

11,969 posts, read 8,216,353 times
I just drove between AUS / SATX a few days ago. The areas between the two are up and coming but there is still a lot of rural land between them too. A lot of improvements happening on I-35 though.

It would be difficult for the two to be recognized as a CSA. Baltimore and D.C. are only 35 miles apart from each other. Austin and SATX are about 80 miles apart with a lot of undeveloped land if you move too far from the interstate. D.C. / Baltimore, Dallas / FortWorth, San Francisco / San Jose are completely developed even away from the interstates. It will probably be much like I-35 is driving from San Antonio to DFW. A lot of towns built up between them but no official adjacent established CSA. I don’t know of any CSA’s of two adjacent towns that exist with the distance between Austin and San Antonio.

Old 05-03-2021, 07:58 AM

3,570 posts, read 2,924,840 times
Quote:
They like the idea of Austin. The music, the food, the outdoors. They’re willing to drive the hour to experience those things. I don’t get it myself. However, they can’t afford to live there, or find the housing because no one is willing to sell.
Does Austin still love them?

Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I just drove between AUS / SATX a few days ago. The areas between the two are up and coming but there is still a lot of rural land between them too. A lot of improvements happening on I-35 though.
Not nearly as much as there was even five years ago. I remember living on the northwest side of San Antonio (10 and 1604) and "going for a drive" to Schertz where there was a store called Garden Ridge. It was like a road trip for me and my sister. Today, that's just a regular commute for some. The route is also straight suburbia now. Try a drive to Austin in the early 90s and it was like driving in the middle of nowhere with Kyle and Buda being completely separate from Austin. The exits between FM 2001 and Onion Creek felt like different worlds. (Of course this was before 45).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
Does Austin still love them?
Depends on who you ask. I know they're out there but not as many as will be in the future. I see lots of people posting here about the idea of living in New Braunfels but working in Austin. I've heard of some single girls expanding their online dating profiles to include guys from NB and it works for a few dates and then both sides realize it's a horrible drive.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:00 PM

3,570 posts, read 2,924,840 times
Quote:

Depends on who you ask. I know they're out there but not as many as will be in the future. I see lots of people posting here about the idea of living in New Braunfels but working in Austin. I've heard of some single girls expanding their online dating profiles to include guys from NB and it works for a few dates and then both sides realize it's a horrible drive.
Did you get my attempt at a joke?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas