Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:34 AM

72 posts, read 43,211 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Texas but having trouble deciding on a city based on my liefstyle and preferences.

Late 20s, work from home, 6 figures income.
Very libertarian/conservative and hate liberals, but I love dense urban cities.
Only interested in apartments.
Don't own a car; prefer to walk, bike, or take transit/uber.
Don't care about bars or "night life" other than eating out and seeing a movie maybe once a week.
Don't care much about being near cultural stuff like galleries or museums.
Don't care about "diversity".
Enjoy walking/hiking/biking in nature.

I visited Dallas and really liked it, but I know the city proper is very liberal.

Thanks, and let me know if any other info would help.

Edit: willing to live in a smaller city that's not quite "urban". Most important to me is living among like-minded people (non-liberals).

Last edited by r_marlowe; 02-17-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 10:59 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
The major metros of Texas (DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio) are pretty much the antithesis of what you're looking for.

Sprawly, largely car-dependent, liberal, diverse, and with the exception of Austin (and to a lesser extent San Antonio), 100% garbage for enjoyable hiking.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The major metros of Texas (DFW, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio) are pretty much the antithesis of what you're looking for.

Sprawly, largely car-dependent, liberal, diverse, and with the exception of Austin (and to a lesser extent San Antonio), 100% garbage for enjoyable hiking.
I'm aware that none fit my requirements 100%. I'd settle for maybe 75% though. Willing to compromise.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:45 AM

478 posts, read 418,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_marlowe View Post
I'm aware that none fit my requirements 100%. I'd settle for maybe 75% though. Willing to compromise.
None of them will reach 75%. You get dense urban, you’re going to find that the political beliefs that you can’t tolerate will be pervasive.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,036,540 times
Well...that leaves you with Amarillo, Lubbock, Tyler and Longview I guess. Not places I´d choose, but it you´re that rigid about politics and locale, those are pretty much your options. I can understand the desire to steer far from hipster culture, but I fail to see why living amongst people with a liberal leaning would be so horrific. I´m a liberal but I have plenty of conservative friends.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Fort Worth is less liberal/hipster than the other major metros in Texas that actually have dense urban areas. (All of the cities mentioned above do not.)

Dallas, Houston and Austin have the best public transit systems. You could get by in Fort Worth without a car, but it will be inconvenient when you need/want to go somewhere outside of the urban area, such as to attend a sporting event. Fort Worth does have the TexRail to take you to DFW Airport.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Fort Worth is less liberal/hipster than the other major metros in Texas that actually have dense urban areas. (All of the cities mentioned above do not.)

Dallas, Houston and Austin have the best public transit systems. You could get by in Fort Worth without a car, but it will be inconvenient when you need/want to go somewhere outside of the urban area, such as to attend a sporting event. Fort Worth does have the TexRail to take you to DFW Airport.
Good post. I've been liking what I've read about FW so far, and its access to Dallas is a huge plus.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,011,139 times
Are you more fiscally conservative or socially conservative?

Fort Worth is really the only option if you don't want a car but you will still see liberals and plenty of diversity.

Maybe Uptown Dallas or River Oaks Houston area

Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Are you more fiscally conservative or socially conservative?

Fort Worth is really the only option if you don't want a car but you will still see liberals and plenty of diversity.

Maybe Uptown Dallas or River Oaks Houston area
Very fiscally conservative. Socially I'm kinda mixed... depends on the issue.
Uptown Dallas/West Village looks exactly like my type of urban neighborhood. I love new urbanism.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:08 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,228,300 times
Serious question - Is there such a thing as a conservative big city anywhere in the country? Beto won in Tarrant county (Fort Worth) and there are other signs that it is turning blue. What could be more conservative than Fort Worth?

Hard to understand the dichotomy of someone who hates being surrounded by liberals but loves to live in the kind of environment that liberals create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas