Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:42 PM

5 posts, read 6,257 times

Advertisements

I just finished high school, but instead of opting for college, I decided that I'd like to take the next year to save up money and use the cash to move. I've never been fond of the state I live in and have been to Texas only a handful of times, but each time enjoyed the beautiful desert landscape and I found the people in each city I visited to be generally friendly and welcoming, even to me as a tourist. Being the youngest child, I have had the benefit of seeing my brothers struggle with financial problems due to college debt, even when they both attended on pretty nice scholarships. I have known so many people who have wanted to move to some other place, and begin life in a fresh place, but after people get out of college, they often have too many roots down. Whether is be a secure job, a relationship, family, there always seems to be some issue keeping them from actually picking up and moving.

While I have the chance, I'd like to take this window of time to save up money and prepare to move. I plan to work for the next 8-12 months just saving up money, preparing, etc. I'm well aware that it not as easy as just picking up and moving, and that is why I am taking this time to save my money and plan out my next moves. Once I settle down in a city, I would like to enroll in community college, and then hopefully transfer to a university to further my education.

I know I will get several different answers, but in your opinion, where would be the best place(s) in Texas for a young person looking to start their life to move to? Please keep real estate prices in mind, the number of other young people in the area (doesn't have to be a college town by any means, just not a place where everyone is 40+ lol), community colleges in the area, as well as schools (I want to become an elementary school teacher, so I'd prefer a place that has more than just a few schools). And of course a city with friendly people and just a nice all around place to live. I'm not necessarily looking for a huge city, just not a city that is too small. Preferably at least 25,000 or so. If it just happens to be a big city like San Antonio, Houston, etc, then that is fine.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 04:46 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
College For All Texans: Residency Information

Here's the problem: if you don't establish Texas residency before enrolling in college, you will pay out of state tuition the whole time you attend college here. That is HUGE!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
College For All Texans: Residency Information

Here's the problem: if you don't establish Texas residency before enrolling in college, you will pay out of state tuition the whole time you attend college here. That is HUGE!
You took the words right out of my mouth.

OP, you need to move to Texas and establish residency here, in order to avoid paying the massive out of state tuition costs. Basically that means you live and work in Texas for twelve months PRIOR to enrolling in school. Here is a typical list of residency requirements from a Texas college:

Residency Requirements : Welcome to Undergraduate Admissions : Texas State University

Old 05-29-2014, 08:26 AM
q32

42 posts, read 58,411 times
Since you mentioned liking the dryer landscape, I'd consider somewhere out west. Look into Abilene, Lubbock, Amarillo, and San Angelo. All have relatively low costs of living, and very low unemployment rates. They also aren't as dependent on oil for their economy like you'd see in Midland/Odessa. I know for sure that Lubbock and Abilene will have a decent college population, with multiple universities/community colleges to choose from. San Angelo and Abilene may have a more interesting landscape than Lubbock or Amarillo, although Amarillo is very close to Palo Duro Canyon, which is a very impressive sight to see.

As far as elementary schools, I can only speak for Abilene: two school districts and lots of good elementary schools to choose from within city limits. The city recently passed a bond election, so several elementary schools are about to be rebuilt/improved over the next few years.

Definitely look into getting residency, as you can save a ton of money that way. Best of luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

OP, you need to move to Texas and establish residency here, in order to avoid paying the massive out of state tuition costs. Basically that means you live and work in Texas for twelve months PRIOR to enrolling in school. Here is a typical list of residency requirements from a Texas college:

[url=http://www.admissions.txstate.edu/future/residency]Residency Requirements : Welcome to Undergraduate Admissions : Texas State University[/url]
would that apply to community colleges as well, though?

Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Even if that is so, it's not a deal breaker. Yes it would set me back another year for college, but that's not the end of the world. So I would simply have to establish a residency in TX for at least 12 months, and then I'd be able to qualify for instate tuition, etc, correct?

Also, could someone clarify this for me? I just read this on a website

'A person is entitled to classification as a resident for tuition purposes if that person:

1. Graduated from a Texas public or accredited private high school, and

2. resided in Texas the 36 months immediately preceding the date of graduation or receipt of the diploma equivalent, and

3. Resided in Texas the 12 consecutive months preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an institution or an independent individual who moves into the state and is gainfully employed within the State of Texas for a period of 12 consecutive months prior to enrolling in an institution of higher education.'

Does that mean I would have to live in the state for 36 months before becoming eligible for instate tuitions, or is that simply one way one can achieve in state tuition?

Last edited by roosterguy66; 05-29-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 01:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterguy66 View Post
would that apply to community colleges as well, though?
Yes.

Some may have waivers of some sort, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM

I was reading somewhere that some states have established some type of programs or something that allows people from neighboring states to receive a bit lower tuition. I do live in Louisiana, so I am curious if Texas has something like that, but I am having a hard time finding anything online.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Either way, thank you for letting me know that, you have really helped.

To the original question, which city do you believe would be best for someone in my situation? As you have said, I will have to live in TX for a year before I can enroll for instate tuition, so whatever place you recommend, please keep that in mind. I need a place that is best suited for someone in my situation, a total new comer. I do tend to like the more west Texas cities. Lubbock and all the outlying cities look pretty enjoyable.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:46 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterguy66 View Post
I just finished high school, but instead of opting for college, I decided that I'd like to take the next year to save up money and use the cash to move. I've never been fond of the state I live in and have been to Texas only a handful of times, but each time enjoyed the beautiful desert landscape and I found the people in each city I visited to be generally friendly and welcoming, even to me as a tourist. Being the youngest child, I have had the benefit of seeing my brothers struggle with financial problems due to college debt, even when they both attended on pretty nice scholarships. I have known so many people who have wanted to move to some other place, and begin life in a fresh place, but after people get out of college, they often have too many roots down. Whether is be a secure job, a relationship, family, there always seems to be some issue keeping them from actually picking up and moving.

While I have the chance, I'd like to take this window of time to save up money and prepare to move. I plan to work for the next 8-12 months just saving up money, preparing, etc. I'm well aware that it not as easy as just picking up and moving, and that is why I am taking this time to save my money and plan out my next moves. Once I settle down in a city, I would like to enroll in community college, and then hopefully transfer to a university to further my education.

I know I will get several different answers, but in your opinion, where would be the best place(s) in Texas for a young person looking to start their life to move to? Please keep real estate prices in mind, the number of other young people in the area (doesn't have to be a college town by any means, just not a place where everyone is 40+ lol), community colleges in the area, as well as schools (I want to become an elementary school teacher, so I'd prefer a place that has more than just a few schools). And of course a city with friendly people and just a nice all around place to live. I'm not necessarily looking for a huge city, just not a city that is too small. Preferably at least 25,000 or so. If it just happens to be a big city like San Antonio, Houston, etc, then that is fine.

Thanks
The only part of Texas with desert is the Trans-Pecos and El Paso is the only place that would meet your criteria or at least some of them in that region.I really do not know how important desert is to you.Also, the cost of living in Abilene/San Angelo is forecast to get higher due to the Cline Shale Boom.Angelo is already booming somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas