Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 05:59 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,093,829 times

Advertisements

I looked at your original post again. Tyler area. You will not get as many Tyler votes on CD, not near as many people on CD that are personally familiar with Tyler, that are personally familiar with the Central Texas recommendations. You should at least look at the Tyler area, best to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 12:39 PM

19 posts, read 21,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
I looked at your original post again. Tyler area. You will not get as many Tyler votes on CD, not near as many people on CD that are personally familiar with Tyler, that are personally familiar with the Central Texas recommendations. You should at least look at the Tyler area, best to you.

Taylor, TX.

Tyler is further up north and east but I'm not interested in that area.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:16 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,093,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmethewanderer View Post
Taylor, TX.

Tyler is further up north and east but I'm not interested in that area.

Yes, I thought you meant Taylor, not Tyler, I just reread you original post, looks like Tyler met most of your requirements at least as well as the Hill Country, unless you have a preconceived idea about the area, or just think you like dry hot heat over humid hot heat, but there are far more trees for shade in East Texas, and a change of seasons, lol, just saying. Yes, this area of the state has far "less love" than the Hill Country, partly because the Hill Country has far more viewers on CD, therefore familiarity with the Hill Country, than this area. Best to your choice. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Yes, I thought you meant Taylor, not Tyler, I just reread you original post, looks like Tyler met most of your requirements at least as well as the Hill Country, unless you have a preconceived idea about the area, or just think you like dry hot heat over humid hot heat, but there are far more trees for shade in East Texas, and a change of seasons, lol, just saying. Yes, this area of the state has far "less love" than the Hill Country, partly because the Hill Country has far more viewers on CD, therefore familiarity with the Hill Country, than this area. Best to your choice. Thanks.

In Socal I am used to dry heat. I hate humid hot weather, buttttt, if it means green more than desert, I am definitely open to it. I will check out Tyler for sure on zillow. I wasn't sure what you meant by "Hill Country" so I googled it. Pretty much the southern and western regions. I would love some green more than dirt so I will gladly check Tyler. If you know of any cities in that area worth looking into please do let me know.

Kindly appreciate that info!!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:24 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,363,190 times
Well, you know, humidity and green vegetation kind of come from the same source...

Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,363,190 times
The Hill Country is not just "the southern and western regions of Texas". I think you could roughly make a quadrilateral of Temple-San Antonio-Uvalde-San Angelo and that would be pretty accurate. South of SA is not Hill Country. West of the Hill country is the Big Bend/Pecos area out to El Paso, and northwest of the Hill Country is "West Texas" and the Panhandle (Midland, Odessa, Abilene, Lubbock, Amarillo).

Also, there are very few places in Texas where the land is "dirt" i.e., exposed soil, as you find in the true desert. Places like the Hill Country are covered with grass and small plants except in draws and creekbeds where trees will be found. East Texas is more a patchwork of open grasslands/farm/pasture and wooded areas; some parts were originally thickly wooded while other areas were originally more of a transition between the forests of the Southeast and the grasslands of the Great Plains.

For that matter, "East Texas" covers a vast swath of area, larger than most entire states, ranging from Commerce/Sulphur Springs in the north to Beaumont/Port Arthur in the south and (at least to me) from roughly a line Greenville-Kaufman-Palestine-Huntsville-just east of Houston, east to the state line. 330 miles north-south and about 120 miles east-west. There is a lot of climate and geographic variation in that area. Tyler is about 2/3 of the way up.

Both the true Hill Country and East Texas have a lot to recommend them.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The Hill Country is not just "the southern and western regions of Texas". I think you could roughly make a quadrilateral of Temple-San Antonio-Uvalde-San Angelo and that would be pretty accurate. South of SA is not Hill Country. West of the Hill country is the Big Bend/Pecos area out to El Paso, and northwest of the Hill Country is "West Texas" and the Panhandle (Midland, Odessa, Abilene, Lubbock, Amarillo).

Also, there are very few places in Texas where the land is "dirt" i.e., exposed soil, as you find in the true desert. Places like the Hill Country are covered with grass and small plants except in draws and creekbeds where trees will be found. East Texas is more a patchwork of open grasslands/farm/pasture and wooded areas; some parts were originally thickly wooded while other areas were originally more of a transition between the forests of the Southeast and the grasslands of the Great Plains.

For that matter, "East Texas" covers a vast swath of area, larger than most entire states, ranging from Commerce/Sulphur Springs in the north to Beaumont/Port Arthur in the south and (at least to me) from roughly a line Greenville-Kaufman-Palestine-Huntsville-just east of Houston, east to the state line. 330 miles north-south and about 120 miles east-west. There is a lot of climate and geographic variation in that area. Tyler is about 2/3 of the way up.

Both the true Hill Country and East Texas have a lot to recommend them.
Thank you very much for all this information. It is helpful to someone who is not from Texas. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas