Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 09:19 AM

1,952 posts, read 831,141 times

Advertisements

So this guy went to the tourist trap parts of Austin and San Antonio and downtown Houston in the most miserable months and was not impressed?

Why does this not surprise me. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 02:44 PM

325 posts, read 205,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperkinn View Post
San Antonio is nothing more than a working-class Hispanic majority suburb of Austin, IMO.
This has to be a troll lol.

If it isn't... I hate to break it to you but Austin was nothing more than a little college town until the San Francisco Bay Area decided to invade it. SA was the biggest city in Texas until the 30's, and is still notably bigger than Austin is.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:05 PM

3,470 posts, read 2,801,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadigggski View Post
This has to be a troll lol.

If it isn't... I hate to break it to you but Austin was nothing more than a little college town until the San Francisco Bay Area decided to invade it. SA was the biggest city in Texas until the 30's, and is still notably bigger than Austin is.
And now there’s no open space between the cities. Maybe we can call the new megalopolis “San Austinio”.

Old 08-09-2022, 04:33 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,014,540 times
The cities are too spread out to ever be a metropolis imo.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:56 AM

It's possible I think. CSA is more likely but Miami-Palm Beach is about the same distance and they're an MSA. Orlando-Tampa is about the same too and they're headed in the same direction. Lakeland and New Braunfels are about the same size but San Marcos/Kyle play a role too.

Not sure if there's data on it, but I'm sure there's a lot of people that commute somewhere between some part of both metros.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:16 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,014,540 times
Orlando to Tampa bay is actually further than San Antonio to Austin. So I guess if that happens it could happen down here too.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:23 AM

5,623 posts, read 4,953,183 times
There's a multi-thousand-acre MPC planned for the rural area between San Marcos and Luling, so, yeah, future consolidated metropolis.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:57 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times
Quote:
I hate to break it to you but Austin was nothing more than a little college town until the San Francisco Bay Area decided to invade it.
What? Maybe you could say it was a giant college town until Michael Dell (Texas native/UT student) opened a computer company there and built computers in the early '80s. Even then big tech, compounded by UofTX research has been important to Austin since the 1960s. SF transplants were band wagoners, not first invaders.

Quote:
SA was the biggest city in Texas until the 30's, and is still notably bigger than Austin is.
Houston was bigger than SA in the 1930s, it surpassed it in the 1920s. Dallas was basically the same population as SA though the same timeperiod. SA is bigger now, but is also 150 sq miles larger than Dallas in area.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 08-10-2022 at 11:06 AM..

Old 08-10-2022, 11:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,983,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Orlando to Tampa bay is actually further than San Antonio to Austin. So I guess if that happens it could happen down here too.
just barely, but also we shouldn't be looking at these cities from downtown to downtown imo. look at furthest development of the city limits. using that, SA and Austin are only roughly 50 miles apart. subject all the major suburban development in New Braunfels, San Marcos, Kyle, and Buda, and yeah SAA can definitely be one metropolis in the future. They may already have been there had a joint airport been built between NB and SM.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
What? Maybe you could say it was a giant college town until Michael Dell (Texas native/UT student) opened a computer company there and built computers in the early '80s. Even then big tech, compounded by UofTX research has been important to Austin since the 1960s. SF transplants were band wagoners, not first invaders.

Houston was bigger than SA in the 1930s, it surpassed it in the 1920s. Dallas was basically the same population as SA though the same timeperiod. SA is bigger now, but is also 150 sq miles larger than Dallas in area.
I'm saying that Austin didn't have the attention that it does now until SF tech started invading. Now people that don't know much about TX assume Austin is bigger than SA because of all the media attention (and general lack of that for SA).

I didn't look too deep into what year it changed, I guess sometimes in the late 20's. I just read that Houston was bigger than SA starting at the 1930 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas