Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:57 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,939,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emz916
Thank you we've been here our whole lives and nothing will change my grandma was going to buy a house but 200,000 can't even buy her a shack so we are looking to move
Yes its sad the prices are SO HIGH now for less quality!!!! (Not as good)

Good luck to you EMZ..... Its good having you with us here @ city-data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM

515 posts, read 561,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emz916 View Post
Hello I'm just curious my fiance and I decided Sacramento is not for us he works a dead end job I stay home with our kids we have 2, he makes about 2,000 a month and that is with no benefits in a warehouse we want to start over a new life we can't afford to have any more kids on this income or even really live life.
We were thinking of moving to Texas because we hear they have so many jobs opportunities and with benefits and the cost Of living is cheap but I am wondering is there anywhere else better for jobs and cost of living plus texas weather is crazy. We are willing to live in crazy weather just need some advice.

I'm looking at every state for

climate (my son has really bad allergies) Sacramento is city of trees he suffers here

Best schools to send my kids

Pay off jobs with benefits tired of struggling

Jobs availability

rental cost 700 is nothing in Sacramento we get the ghetto for that price

Cost of living

air quality I know texas is pretty bad but they are cheaper to live

Fun! We do alot with our kids every weekend but also need that alone time with out kids dancing etc

Housing cost after we move my family plan on following us and want to retire

Gas prices, I've seen our gas go almost to $5 lowest about $2.37

We are a family of Mexicans too half of us are light skinned and the other are dark skinned I don't want to relocate and go somewhere people won't accept us we are not illegals either
Hello, as a former San Joaquin Valley resident, I hope you make the move to Texas. I lived near Fresno before moving out here and still have family in Visalia. Regarding the allergies, It may be something in the air in the Valley your son is allergic to, have any of you ever been checked for Valley fever? As you may know, the soil in the San Joaquin Valley has bacteria and contaminents from when it was a shallow sea; and they are kicked up into the air when the farmers plow or from construction. I've known people who have horrible allergies and respiratory infections from this. I used to get tonsillitis every year until I moved to Texas, and I haven't had it since in the 16 years I've been here.

That being said, cedar, elm, and mold are higher in TX than CA, and some people who are allergy free in California develop severe allergies when they move to Texas. So having an allergy test done at the doctor's office may be the thing to do before hand.
Other than that, I think you will be very happy in any city in Texas, especially Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas, and maybe even San Angelo or El Paso. IMHO, coming from SAC, you will only have to adjust to the humidity and the fact it doesn't cool down at night much. The heat itself....no problem. I remember several days of 105 to 112 in the SJV summers, however, at least the mountains were only 1 - 2 hrs away, and the beach 3 hrs. Other than that, Texas will offer more in almost every other aspect. You will be very much accepted anywhere in Texas as a hispanic family, my wife is hispanic and I am 1/2 native american, and never had any issues of any kind. I've lived in Austin and DFW and I don't regret the move from CA at all. I have a brother that moved to Houston and another in Austin and they both love it out here.
Welcome and Good Luck

Old 03-25-2015, 02:58 AM

33 posts, read 51,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Hello, as a former San Joaquin Valley resident, I hope you make the move to Texas. I lived near Fresno before moving out here and still have family in Visalia. Regarding the allergies, It may be something in the air in the Valley your son is allergic to, have any of you ever been checked for Valley fever? As you may know, the soil in the San Joaquin Valley has bacteria and contaminents from when it was a shallow sea; and they are kicked up into the air when the farmers plow or from construction. I've known people who have horrible allergies and respiratory infections from this. I used to get tonsillitis every year until I moved to Texas, and I haven't had it since in the 16 years I've been here.

That being said, cedar, elm, and mold are higher in TX than CA, and some people who are allergy free in California develop severe allergies when they move to Texas. So having an allergy test done at the doctor's office may be the thing to do before hand.
Other than that, I think you will be very happy in any city in Texas, especially Houston, San Antonio, Austin and Dallas, and maybe even San Angelo or El Paso. IMHO, coming from SAC, you will only have to adjust to the humidity and the fact it doesn't cool down at night much. The heat itself....no problem. I remember several days of 105 to 112 in the SJV summers, however, at least the mountains were only 1 - 2 hrs away, and the beach 3 hrs. Other than that, Texas will offer more in almost every other aspect. You will be very much accepted anywhere in Texas as a hispanic family, my wife is hispanic and I am 1/2 native american, and never had any issues of any kind. I've lived in Austin and DFW and I don't regret the move from CA at all. I have a brother that moved to Houston and another in Austin and they both love it out here.
Welcome and Good Luck
I thank you for your help my sons allergies gets worse every year this year was the first year he got his tonsillitis and I tell you he cried and cried he's only 7 and his faces swells up like we beat him with a bat unrecognizable we did do an allergy test I forgot exactly what it was but ill ask for a print out we did it last year I do remember it was everything that had to do with outside now with Texas I have looked everywhere online at the 3 cities san Antonio Dallas and Houston we are saving our money looking for a job out there while in Sacramento then looking to put down for a rental and after my fiancé will give his 2 week notice we are terrified in picking the wrong city to move to. he loves the city I love the country here in Sacramento he works 6 days a week and hardly any pay so every weekend is family time we either go explore the town just to get out the house go to restaurants and on pay days well take them for some real fun lol I want my kids to grow up humble I figure Texas is the way to go im looking for great schools my son cant play outside he dance hip hop and breakin ill like for some preforming arts to still be in his life I also have a 2 year old that I want him to grow up in an awesome state my grandma is looking to move to Texas with us a year after we get settle she qualified for a house about 205,000 and we cant get anything decent here in Sacramento I want her to retire with no stress I have a friend in Irving TX and family in Dallas but those tornados scare me lol everyone says its not bad so im not ruling it out and I have friends in Terrell hills san Antonio Texas and friends in Houston but I don't know where to choose I do need good doctors for my kids not only great schools I just want to live happy safe fun relaxing and able to afford life all our wants are everywhere lol

Old 03-25-2015, 02:59 AM

33 posts, read 51,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes its sad the prices are SO HIGH now for less quality!!!! (Not as good)

Good luck to you EMZ..... Its good having you with us here @ city-data!
thank you yes its sad I just hope we find what we are looking for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas