Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 04:16 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,480,500 times

Advertisements

I've lived all over the country and I can't say I've ever seen anyone treated poorly for their race or whom they date. There may be people that don't approve, but they don't approve in their head...I haven't seen anyone take any adverse actions when dealing with those they disagree with. Heck I've often been the only white guy in my neighborhood. Do people look at me funny sometimes? Yes, they do, do they treat me different? Not where it really matters but I have felt a standoffishness at times. I just deal with it and don't let it bother me. I'm in their neighborhood, of course I'm gonna stand out. It's my choice though...I could always move if I was overly sensitive to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,939 times
In a newly released survey by the online dating service, which specializes in connecting people who choose "character above color," according to a release, ten of the site's top 20 states with the most populous members have historically voted Republican over the past five presidential elections.

Top 20 States For Interracial Dating (INFOGRAPHIC)

Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM

342 posts, read 685,474 times
Houston hands down for interracial....and houston have the most diverse beautiful women.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,231 times
I'm currently in Irving tx right near Dallas I'm a black woman and my husband is white l. We are from Seattle and just experienced our first time dealing with racism from 3 white guys

Old 05-06-2017, 06:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
My daughter is biracial (half black and half white) and her husband is white. Never had a problem living ANYWHERE in the US, including in Texas and Louisiana.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:05 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Ok I'll share since everyone else is. A few Christmases ago I took my then Hispanic girlfriend over to my parents neighbors house out in Ft Bend Co near Simonton/Fulshear, small town about 45 mins to an hour outside central Houston. Anyways, there was a small party and a few of the new neighbors were invited. One of them was having a discussion in the group I was in and the discussion was about all the new development and people moving in. Well this guy just blurts out drunkenly that we need to stop all the blacks and Hispanics from coming in. That left kind of an awkward silence. My girlfriend rolled her eyes. A bit before when the guy was introducing himself his name ended in a vowel, and we found out he was an Italian American transplant from up north!

I retorted back in front of the group that new development hasn't stopped a bunch of Yankees from moving down here. He laughed but didn't get I was poking fun at him and if I were any more of a jerk I could've used a slur for Italians but I didn't want to lower myself to his level to make a point.

Point is that was the ONLY outwardly rude thing my gf and I ever encountered in Texas and it came from a Yankee transplant!

For a while I was fuming that this transplant was bringing that disdain down to Texas. Especially an Italian guy knowing the history of discrimination they faced early last century and now he's throwing it back on others. But I've seen guys like him when I lived in the northeast. They're always the first to act Anglo even though no one in Texas, especially small town Texas, would think of them as such with the dark hair and a last name ending in a vowel. They project that insecurity through racism on other minorities instead and I don't want that low brow stuff down in Texas.

And there A LOT of upstate New York transplants moving down to Texas.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
I was surprised when I visited some friends in the Boston area by how segregated it was. My friend and her family had moved to a quaint historic (It's name appears in US history books when the Revolutionary War is covered.) New England town that looked like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting. It seemed wonderful and idyllic but I couldn't help but feel like something was off. I finally figured out what that is when I saw a lone African American man walking down the street. Every person I had seen since I arrived was lily white. That seemed weird to me because all of the schools I attended growing up in Richardson was diverse, my kids attend a very diverse private school and most of the neighborhoods I've lived in were diverse.

I am a member of a biracial couple (white and Asian Indian). The only discrimination we've experienced as a couple in Texas were from some (not all) other Indians including my mother-in-law, some members of the South Asian Association in college, some Indians at the local temple, and some Indians when we visited India. We haven't had any problems as a couple with anyone else. I did have some nosy strangers when my older son was a baby try to find out his ethnicity. Both my kids look like they could be Hispanic or Middle Eastern so people from those groups wanted to know if they were part of their tribes. I felt like it was none of their business.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:41 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I'm a black woman who has dated non-black men in San Antonio. I've never had anyone say anything rude. We would sometimes get strange stares because it's not very common to see non-black men dating black women in San Antonio. I found it odd that people were quick to assume that a friend or family member and I were a lesbian couple while being quick to assume that my date and I weren't on a date or my boyfriend and I weren't searching for an apartment together even though we were looking at the apartment together.

People are usually fine in ethnically diverse areas. I had a former coworker who was black and married to a Hispanic woman. They lived in a part of San Antonio that was probably over 95% Hispanic. His daughter was the only girl in her school who was half black/black. She would go home crying all the time because kids would call her the n-word everyday. I told him that he was living in the wrong part of town.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:44 PM

28 posts, read 38,482 times
curious. Well, good luck to anyone trying to meet someone special. It's a challenge no matter your interests.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
My husband is Indian and I am white. We haven't had any problems and neither have our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas