Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 03:38 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,984,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I’m not hating on The Galleria at all. But let’s be real. From an architectural standpoint, The Galleria is an average looking mall.

Does The Galleria have an art collection? Does The Galleria have timeless midcentury modern architecture? Was The Galleria the first mall to be featured in Vogue? Was The Galleria named one of the seven retail wonders of the modern world? NO. That’s not hating, that’s facts.

The Galleria is the largest mall in Texas. That’s a great accomplishment, but that’s where it ends.
One thing that Dallas does well in is marketing. Even when the list of things is BS or someone's opinion (that's as important as anyone's).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:06 PM

6,709 posts, read 9,964,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
One thing that Dallas does well in is marketing. Even when the list of things is BS or someone's opinion (that's as important as anyone's).
Marketing has nothing to do with that at all. There aren't many malls in America that look like NorthPark. Most malls are a hodgepodge of designs from separate owners, who didn't put much thought into them aesthetically. NorthPark is the opposite of that. You can tell they actually thought of every detail when it came to designing it. For Example: I think the Galleria Dallas looks nice but it's not on the level of NorthPark and it looks average in comparison. Heck, that goes for every other mall in North Texas. So, I'm not just picking on The Houston Galleria.

Here's a tour of the Houston Galleria and the other video is of NorthPark Center. Y'all can be the judge of which looks better from an overall design standpoint.

The Houston Galleria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFR69Fqd9ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWXsBafKUhI

NorthPark Center

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL3eD95fH5M

Last edited by Dallaz; 05-18-2019 at 04:18 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 05:23 PM

4,438 posts, read 6,315,118 times
While the Galleria in Houston has a lot of nice stores, there's just as many or more tacky/cheap stores you'd see at any suburban mall. And those kiosks are so annoying and junky.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 PM

9,929 posts, read 6,638,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
While the Galleria in Houston has a lot of nice stores, there's just as many or more tacky/cheap stores you'd see at any suburban mall. And those kiosks are so annoying and junky.
We know this. This is why the Houston Galleria is of the same caliber as the NorthPark Mall. Because just as the Galleria does, NorthPark has cheaper stores found in every suburban mall.

Houston and Dallas both, however, have malls that are unique to high end boutiques (I.e. dolce & Gabbana, Tom ford, Channel) which are the River Oaks District and Highland Park Village. These are the highest caliber luxury shopping areas in both cities.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:21 PM

9,929 posts, read 6,638,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I’m not hating on The Galleria at all. But let’s be real. From an architectural standpoint, The Galleria is an average looking mall.

Does The Galleria have an art collection? Does The Galleria have timeless midcentury modern architecture? Was The Galleria the first mall to be featured in Vogue? Was The Galleria named one of the seven retail wonders of the modern world? NO. That’s not hating, that’s facts.

The Galleria is the largest mall in Texas. That’s a great accomplishment, but that’s where it ends.
Is the NorthPark Mall, ranked a top 10 Mall in any Travel or shopping magazine? No. The Galleria is ranked top 5 by most. This is not hating on NorthPark. NorhPark is a very very nice mall but it is notches below the Galleria.

About your architecture claim, it is a personal thing by yourself based on bias. You want it to be an “average looking mall” so you convince yourself on your perspective. If your claim was true, the Galleria wouldn’t have atttacted the stores it does.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:31 AM

6,709 posts, read 9,964,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Is the NorthPark Mall, ranked a top 10 Mall in any Travel or shopping magazine? No. The Galleria is ranked top 5 by most. This is not hating on NorthPark. NorhPark is a very very nice mall but it is notches below the Galleria.

About your architecture claim, it is a personal thing by yourself based on bias. You want it to be an “average looking mall” so you convince yourself on your perspective. If your claim was true, the Galleria wouldn’t have atttacted the stores it does.
It only attracted those stores because it’s the best mall in Houston. That’s it...

How is my architecture claim bias? NorthPark Center is older than The Galleria but has NEVER needed to update its design. The same cannot be said for The Galleria. NorthPark’s modern design has lasted for over 50 years.

Notches below? C’mon now. I’ve never heard anyone say that NorthPark is notches below The Galleria. NorthPark is known for getting exclusive retailers. Please tell me what’s not average about The Galleria? It has kiosks and the design is of any typical super regional mall. If that’s not average then what is? On top of that, the design from the original and new newest part is mismatched...

Last edited by Dallaz; 05-19-2019 at 03:14 AM..

Old 05-19-2019, 01:13 PM

4,438 posts, read 6,315,118 times
Quote:
We know this. This is why the Houston Galleria is of the same caliber as the NorthPark Mall. Because just as the Galleria does, NorthPark has cheaper stores found in every suburban mall.

Houston and Dallas both, however, have malls that are unique to high end boutiques (I.e. dolce & Gabbana, Tom ford, Channel) which are the River Oaks District and Highland Park Village. These are the highest caliber luxury shopping areas in both cities.
The Galleria has worse cheaper stores though. Some don’t even appear to be national chains. NorthPark has Cotton On, Express, Gap, Bath & Bodyworks, but not really anything worse than that caliber of store.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:58 PM

19,864 posts, read 18,144,412 times
Quote:

No the other poster's point is not born of bias.

I don't give a flip about shopping really - I'm not even sure how I ended up reading your post. But NorthPark has won several legit architecture awards including at least two AIA design awards and some state awards. One of the AIA awards was a Design of the Decade Award.

Another distinction NorthPark is full of legit and very valuable sculpture/metal art and other art pieces from Warhol, Stella, Pepper and more. I don't care about shopping but I love art.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:11 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,462,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
No the other poster's point is not born of bias.

I don't give a flip about shopping really - I'm not even sure how I ended up reading your post. But NorthPark has won several legit architecture awards including at least two AIA design awards and some state awards. One of the AIA awards was a Design of the Decade Award.

Another distinction NorthPark is full of legit and very valuable sculpture/metal art and other art pieces from Warhol, Stella, Pepper and more. I don't care about shopping but I love art.
Largest Mall in Texas- Houston Galleria(Hands down!!)

Best Mall in Texas- Northpark Center(Hands down!!)

Old 05-20-2019, 11:25 AM

638 posts, read 570,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Largest Mall in Texas- Houston Galleria(Hands down!!)

Best Mall in Texas- Northpark Center(Hands down!!)
I like the Houston Galleria. But I have to agree with this. ^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas