Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 06:29 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Ray Price was born in Texas and died in Texas - one of my all time favorites.
He had an amazing effect on country music and a voice that lasted into his 80's.
I will miss him, but won't forget him.

Ray Price dies at 87; singer reshaped country music
Not satisfied to be merely a standard-bearer of honky tonk, Price began to experiment by tinkering with rhythm and later even adding lush strings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
He was truly an icon and a pioneer! I enjoyed his latest, even if his voice wasn't as strong as it once was.

I saw him at San Antonio's HemisFair in 1968 (?)...it was a great show.

I wish I could have seen him with two other greats at Willie's show--he came onstage with Willie and Johnny Bush. That must have been something!

We will indeed miss him. In light of what passes for country today, thank God his music will live on.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
I was saddened to hear this last night on the news. It brought back to mind of a time when a girlfriend and I decided to take quick trip to Mexico one Labor Day week-end many years ago. We went in my car (a 1963 Chevolet Impala) that I had put an 8 track player into the glove box (got to remember, that was cool back then ). We didn't make it out of Arlington until around noon Sat. and we had to be back to go to work Tues. morning, so we spent a lot of time driving in which we took turns. She was shorter than I was and we'd have to pull the seat up for her to be able to reach the pedals ok and that threw me in a more cramped up position (like feeling my knees up up to my chin to exaggerate a little).

Well, we left out of Matamoros late on Sun. night and she was driving. I slid down and put my knees up against the dashboard and went to sleep listening to a Ray Price tape that was in the player. I woke up as we were pulling into Corpus Mon. morning. I will never forget the song that was playing when I woke up and that was Burning Memories. I said, oh good, this is one of my favorite songs on this tape. My friend said, well, yeah, I like it too, but can we please change tapes? I've been listening to this Ray Price tape over and over all the way here. I told her, you should have just knocked my legs down and changed tapes. She said, well I hated to do that and Ray Price is easy to listen to, so thank God his was the tape that was in there, but I've had enough Ray Price to last me for a while. LOL

I never got to see him perform an entire show. We did go to see him one time at Panther Hall in Fort Worth and got to hear him sing a few songs, but he was so drunk he almost fell off the bandstand. One of his band members ran and caught him and they helped him off the stage. I'll say one thing, the songs he did manage to sing before he left were flawless, you would never have known he was drunk as a skunk. I guess you could say he was a true professional in this performance as long as he could remain upright.

One of the true legends of the C&W music, he will be missed.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:34 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I wish I could have seen him with two other greats at Willie's show--he came onstage with Willie and Johnny Bush. That must have been something!
Oh my gosh, that would have been something to see for sure.

Quote:
We will indeed miss him. In light of what passes for country today, thank God his music will live on.
You got that right, I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Oh my gosh, that would have been something to see for sure.

You got that right, I couldn't agree more.
When Willie and Ray teamed up for an album, you realized how nasal and flat Willie could be, next to a smooth crooner like Ray Price, LOL!

I never really liked "Danny Boy" (no matter who sang it), but his "orchestra" album was fantastic. I loved it, and also "Last of the Breed."

Last edited by Cathy4017; 12-17-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 01:37 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Sad. Another great one passes. A contemporary of Ray Price once asked in a song, "I Wonder If God Likes Country Music." I'm hoping it's his favorite music.

Pancreatic cancer is bad at any age. I lost a BIL to it.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Sad. Another great one passes. A contemporary of Ray Price once asked in a song, "I Wonder If God Likes Country Music." I'm hoping it's his favorite music.

Pancreatic cancer is bad at any age. I lost a BIL to it.
Yes, it is really bad--I lost an old dear friend last May, and one close relative to it. It's really rough, and just grim.

I knew that Ray Price had left Nashville--along with Wille and others. Thank God that greats like them and Buck Owens/Merle Haggard chose another path.

I can't remember the last time I bought any music that has come out of Nashville--probably around 1990 or so. I don't even watch the awards any more. Every time I change my satellite radio station to "progressive" country (read: current), I am reminded of 1970s soft rock.

It's OK in very small doses, but I always go back to Willie's Roadhouse, ch 56.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Yes, it is really bad--I lost an old dear friend last May, and one close relative to it. It's really rough, and just grim.

I knew that Ray Price had left Nashville--along with Wille and others. Thank God that greats like them and Buck Owens/Merle Haggard chose another path.

I can't remember the last time I bought any music that has come out of Nashville--probably around 1990 or so. I don't even watch the awards any more. Every time I change my satellite radio station to "progressive" country (read: current), I am reminded of 1970s soft rock.

It's OK in very small doses, but I always go back to Willie's Roadhouse, ch 56.
I listen to Willie's Roadhouse too...all the time in fact.I just don't like today's country that much. Ray Price was truly one of the best.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I listen to Willie's Roadhouse too...all the time in fact.I just don't like today's country that much. Ray Price was truly one of the best.
There's hope for us yet, LOL!!

What about your friends? Do they like traditional stuff, too? I hope a lot of you twenty-somethings like that stuff, because it might help bring some of it back.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:42 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
There's hope for us yet, LOL!!

What about your friends? Do they like traditional stuff, too? I hope a lot of you twenty-somethings like that stuff, because it might help bring some of it back.
True....well I know one of my friends is into Elvis but I don't know my friends taste in country very much because were busy with college and work and don't have much time together but I would say they have more of a modern taste in music in general than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas