Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 PM

252 posts, read 518,905 times

Advertisements

Hi , Im currently a student in California, in junior college , i have a year till i get my associates but I m looking around at potential universities. I have a bachelors degree in English and most public California public universities will not accept 2nd bachelors students ( i have already tried) I used to live in Hawaii and it was not for me culturally. I m going to school for music education. I want something kind of low key and more on the slow side not like party school ut austin . I heard mixed reviews about Lamar University.. I know Its out of state and its a mid sized town and there is no snow and its near louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
You probably know more about Lamar University than me but, in the summer, the Beaumont area is as hot and humid as you can get in Texas.

A 12stringguitarguy

Old 10-11-2013, 03:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times
I took a online class there b4 and it was good.I have never been to Beaumont but Ive read pretty much nothing other than bad things about the area.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:04 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
I went there. Beaumont will be boring to you, I promise. However, Lamar is relatively inexpensive compared to the big state schools (of course you will pay out-of-state tuition), and some of their programs are highly respected in industry. They do have a good music program (stage bands and marching band, etc), but I don't know any details about it. I was in band in high school, and that was the local university for us to go to for competitions. The local high school band directors praised the music program there. Some of my classmates who went to Lamar went on to teach in area high schools.

It's more of a commuter school, so yeah it's definitely low key. Put it this way - they have respected academics and it could save you $$$, but if you want the 'college experience' then you are gonna have to work for it there.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the info.. I m not going to rule it out because it's boring although that could be important weighted factor..maybe its really slow in Beaumont.. I have never been there so, people said Honolulu was "boring" but i usually found stuff to do. I decided to leave Hawaii because it was too isolated geographically it is an island and it was too expensive.. I heard Lamar has good music program which is important. My family is visiting southern Louisiana next year , so i will probably stop by the university and check it out in Beaumont. Thanks

Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 PM

184 posts, read 143,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
Hi , Im currently a student in California, in junior college , i have a year till i get my associates but I m looking around at potential universities. I have a bachelors degree in English and most public California public universities will not accept 2nd bachelors students ( i have already tried) I used to live in Hawaii and it was not for me culturally. I m going to school for music education. I want something kind of low key and more on the slow side not like party school ut austin . I heard mixed reviews about Lamar University.. I know Its out of state and its a mid sized town and there is no snow and its near louisiana.
You might want to check out Sam Houston state in Huntsville, tx. I'm not sure about a music education major, but they have a good music department and a good education department, so it is possible.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM

ill check it as well . thanks again..

Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,850 times
Lamar would be WAY too "backwoods" for you, IMO. Especially coming from California. If you're a music education major, then the University of North Texas has the best music program in Texas. Plus, while the campus is in the DFW metroplex, its just far enough to give you the smaller college town experience. Its diverse and you'd have more options with a music degree from UNT than Lamar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas