Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,354,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Houston has plenty of great architecture, but i guess since Houston has so many buildings, it doesn't stand out like in Dallas. Let's just call a spade a spade, Houston has great architecture and the differences aren't vastly different, but Dallas wins this. It's everything from the way Dallas designs its lightrail stations to it's bridges to alot of Dallas's landmark buildings.

Not talking down on my town, but i've been quite appalled by some of the developers that have thrown up some of the worst looking structures in Houston. (Mercer, Embassy Suites downtown, Memorial Herman Memorial City)
Well said, although I'm one of those few who doesn't absolutely hate the Mercer.

Dallas really shines with its modern additions to the city. I honestly feel that Houston, with its darker-hued, more Gothic environment, pulls off European architecture better. It just seems strange in a land-locked plains city, although the neoclassical and Art Deco stuff seems to work well in Dallas.

Last edited by Nairobi; 10-08-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Where future architects are trained has little impact on the local building design scene. Where the top architecture firms are located would have a greater impact. Top local firms tend to draw a good percentage of the local business.

Top 300 Architecture Firms - Practice Matters | Architectural Record
Ranking Architectural firms by their previous years revenue is like ranking art by what the painting originally sold for. You will not know for years if these buildings hold up to time, and this years buzz can become next decades eyesore.

I think the list of AIA's top 150 buildings in America is probably the best standard to judge, although it is all of course, highly subjective....

America's Favorite Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Jack Lance; 10-08-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-08-2013, 11:21 AM

328 posts, read 472,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Ranking Architectural firms by their previous years revenue is like ranking art by what the painting originally sold for. You will not know for years if these buildings hold up to time, and this years buzz can become next decades eyesore.

I think the list of AIA's top 150 buildings in America is probably the best standard to judge, although it is all of course, highly subjective....

America's Favorite Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A better case would be made if the research were not six-seven years old. By the time they get around to a revised list, the Astrodome might not even exist.

Any list of favorite international architecture that was six-seven years old would be laughable. Not to mention that both Dallas and Houston have not been standing still architecturally since 2006.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyber View Post
When one resorts to posting pictures of renderings you might as well wave the white flag
seriously.. did you not look at the first page? BCB posted renderings there, so i figured it was fair game. another great example of the pot calling the kettle black. besides, 2 of the renderings i posted are already well under construction, with a 3rd starting this month.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,462,568 times

Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,462,568 times

Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,512,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
A better case would be made if the research were not six-seven years old. By the time they get around to a revised list, the Astrodome might not even exist.

Any list of favorite international architecture that was six-seven years old would be laughable. Not to mention that both Dallas and Houston have not been standing still architecturally since 2006.
You are right architecture is not stagnant , but truly great architecture takes time to appreciate. If you look at the first 20 on that list you will see the newest structures are the Vietnam memorial (1982) and the World trade Center (1975) which of course was destroyed 6 years before the list was compiled. Most in the top 20 are 70 years old or older.

If you do have a more current list lets see it (BTW) this list is of American architecture not international.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:52 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,569,696 times

/

Old 10-08-2013, 01:58 PM

16 posts, read 33,932 times
Some of you guys should ease up on posting renderings. The final design can change drastically from the original. The Embassy Suites DT Houston comes to mind.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,792,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method_Man View Post
Some of you guys should ease up on posting renderings. The final design can change drastically from the original. The Embassy Suites DT Houston comes to mind.
I agree. If something is not built it shouldn't even be posted. They have been posted for both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas