Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,076 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move from central Indiana to Texas, probably in the spring of 2014; a lot of the timing and eventual location will be determined by my job hunt. I visited Texas this past spring and spent a few days in Collin County but also briefly visited Fort Worth.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out which of the two areas might be a better fit for me. If Fort Worth would be a good place to check, which neighborhoods or areas should I look at most closely? Any suggestions or points to consider would be greatly appreciated!

Some information about me and what I'm looking for:
--I'm female, single and 45 and occasionally have a college-aged relative living with me.
--I work full-time (currently at a college) and also am a grad student (online, so my studies are portable).
--The biggest issue in housing would be finding an affordable apartment (preferably no more than $900-950) in a relatively safer area.
--Most of my recreational activities are church activities (and I already know there are good churches in both areas), going to concerts (mainly country music), attending live theater, and attending sporting events.
--Although I'm more working class (salary 34-37K range), I've always lived in a more affluent, conservative area. I'd definitely prefer to live in a more conservative area after moving, although that's not the ultimate deciding factor.

I loved the Collin County area when I visited, but Fort Worth seems like it would be good also. Hopefully I'll be coming back down in January to visit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,984,728 times
I like Collin County too but I must say I am biased towards Tarrant county since I am from Arlington.There's country music in Fort Worth....ever heard of Billy Bobs but I don't know how the Dallas and Collin County concert scene in relation to country music. The Cowboys and the Rangers are both in Arlington but idk if the cowboys would be out of your price range no offense intended....last I heard parking was over 70 bucks per game and there's no public transit.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:05 PM

Although I didn't visit Billy Bob's while I was there, I did attend the rodeo in the Stockyards in Fort Worth. That's one of the reasons I'm considering that area.

Unfortunately, the Cowboys would be out of my price range. I typically attend college-level and lower games in person!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:35 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,984,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrulyAragorn View Post
Although I didn't visit Billy Bob's while I was there, I did attend the rodeo in the Stockyards in Fort Worth. That's one of the reasons I'm considering that area.

Unfortunately, the Cowboys would be out of my price range. I typically attend college-level and lower games in person!
Oh I see sorry I assumed you mean professional games but there is TCU in Fort Worth and several high schools such as Southlake Carroll Hurst LD Bell and Euless Trinity in the Tarrant County area that have good teams.But im sure theres good teams in other parts of DFW such as Allen

Old 09-20-2013, 11:46 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,335,054 times
Fort Worth sounds like a better fit for you, esp. if you like country

Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,781,856 times
Fort Worth all the way! Unless you go out to farm communities, I think you'll find Collin County will lack for you. It sounds like you would love a traditional Texas flair, and Collin County is mostly full of transplants in the populated areas.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:04 PM

17,474 posts, read 9,299,874 times
There is a lot of difference between Fort Worth and Collin County

1. Location
Collin County has several towns, is more spread out, you are almost closer to the Oklahoma border than you are to Cowboy Stadium. Most of the Cultural events are going to be near downtown Dallas, a lot more traffic. Not much in the way of University venues - you would have to go to Dallas. I don't know easy it is to get to know people or how friendly they are in CC - generally you will find all Texans very friendly (especially the natives)

Fort Worth is more laid back, there is just a different feel there - almost like a small town feel in some ways. Fort Worth is a very modern city in it's renovations and cultural area, but a very historic city in it's heritage. Very friendly city with a wonderful Downtown area and great parks. If your work is in the University sector - the tilt goes to Fort Worth in a major way. Fort Worth is very easy to navigate and to get to wherever you are going pretty easily - compared to the Dallas area. FW is a lot more centrally located - you can be in the hill country or in Austin is 3 hours - in San Antonio in 4 hours, at the beach in Port Aransas in about 6-7 hours. It would be a lot better location if you wanted to explore Texas (which I hope you will)

2. Apartments - (not your biggest issue - this will be easy)
I know nothing about Collin County in this area - I suspect it may be more expensive than Fort Worth I also expect that Collin County has plenty of "safe" apartments.
You will probably find more for your money in Fort Worth - I did a quick check just on Craigs List for some FW listings and found 3 that looked good in safe areas, centrally located - they were either 2 bedroom/2 bath or 1 bed w/Den & 2 bath. 2 had w/d in the units. These were all under 1,000 - you can drop the price quite a bit by going with a 1 bed. Be aware that wherever you live - your summertime electric bill will be fairly high because of the heat.

3. Demographics, Income
Collin County does not have much diversity - the Asian population is higher than the black population.
Median income is higher (that's why I think rent will be higher), household headed by female is half of what FW is.
Fort Worth has a higher Black and Hispanic population and a lower Median income.

I expect you would be happy in either one if your goal is to be in Texas - concentrate on your job hunt and see which city offers you the most opportunity. If it were me - once I had a job or even while looking, I would check out available apartment areas (check back here for local opinions on location) so you will have a better idea of what's available and what you might want to see when you visit next.

It's incredible how much information you can find on the internet - you can almost explore the cities by net. Send off for some local maps so you can keep track of locations and get a better feel for size and travel.

Good Luck in the job hunt.
K

Old 09-21-2013, 06:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,781,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There is a lot of difference between Fort Worth and Collin County

1. Location
Collin County has several towns, is more spread out, you are almost closer to the Oklahoma border than you are to Cowboy Stadium. Most of the Cultural events are going to be near downtown Dallas, a lot more traffic. Not much in the way of University venues - you would have to go to Dallas. I don't know easy it is to get to know people or how friendly they are in CC - generally you will find all Texans very friendly (especially the natives)

Fort Worth is more laid back, there is just a different feel there - almost like a small town feel in some ways. Fort Worth is a very modern city in it's renovations and cultural area, but a very historic city in it's heritage. Very friendly city with a wonderful Downtown area and great parks. If your work is in the University sector - the tilt goes to Fort Worth in a major way. Fort Worth is very easy to navigate and to get to wherever you are going pretty easily - compared to the Dallas area. FW is a lot more centrally located - you can be in the hill country or in Austin is 3 hours - in San Antonio in 4 hours, at the beach in Port Aransas in about 6-7 hours. It would be a lot better location if you wanted to explore Texas (which I hope you will)

2. Apartments - (not your biggest issue - this will be easy)
I know nothing about Collin County in this area - I suspect it may be more expensive than Fort Worth I also expect that Collin County has plenty of "safe" apartments.
You will probably find more for your money in Fort Worth - I did a quick check just on Craigs List for some FW listings and found 3 that looked good in safe areas, centrally located - they were either 2 bedroom/2 bath or 1 bed w/Den & 2 bath. 2 had w/d in the units. These were all under 1,000 - you can drop the price quite a bit by going with a 1 bed. Be aware that wherever you live - your summertime electric bill will be fairly high because of the heat.

3. Demographics, Income
Collin County does not have much diversity - the Asian population is higher than the black population.
Median income is higher (that's why I think rent will be higher), household headed by female is half of what FW is.
Fort Worth has a higher Black and Hispanic population and a lower Median income.

I expect you would be happy in either one if your goal is to be in Texas - concentrate on your job hunt and see which city offers you the most opportunity. If it were me - once I had a job or even while looking, I would check out available apartment areas (check back here for local opinions on location) so you will have a better idea of what's available and what you might want to see when you visit next.

It's incredible how much information you can find on the internet - you can almost explore the cities by net. Send off for some local maps so you can keep track of locations and get a better feel for size and travel.

Good Luck in the job hunt.
K
I take issue with the part about Collin County not having much diversity at least as far as Plano is concerned. Even though it lacks the black and Hispanic populations of Dallas and Fort Worth, Plano and the surrounding areas of populated Collin County make up for it with the huge Asian, Indian, and religious diversity.

Plano is becoming the international center of the Metroplex with the exception of immigrants from Latin America and Africa.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,786,825 times
From what your needs sound like, I think you would be more happy in the Fort Worth area. I live in NE Tarrant County and absolutely love our neighborhood and community.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm coming down after the first of the year, and I think I'll focus more on the Fort Worth area during that visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas