Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times

Advertisements

I don't plan on working in those fields as a career ChristieP.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 08-25-2013 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: delete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I don't plan on working in those fields as a career ChristieP.
Then don't waste your time and money getting a degree in those fields. Get a degree in something that will get you a good job.

FWIW: I used to do HR for a small hospital in Abilene. (Most of the job was done remotely from Fort Worth, but I did drive out there once a month.)

Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Then don't waste your time and money getting a degree in those fields. Get a degree in something that will get you a good job.

FWIW: I used to do HR for a small hospital in Abilene. (Most of the job was done remotely from Fort Worth, but I did drive out there once a month.)
Well I am currently debating on whether or not I should stay in skool or just go to work....I may give it at least this semester but Im real confused cuz my parents are pushing me to stay in skool.Thanks for the advice.Thats kool.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:52 AM

If you think you don't want to stay in school, join the military for a few years. The Navy is a great way to see the world and also to learn skills that will take you a long way. My father learned to be an electrician, and my uncle learned to be an airplane mechanic in the Navy. The Air Force also has a lot of career fields that are great training for high tech civilian jobs.

But just dropping out of college? No. That's not a good way to become successful. And few women will be attracted to a man who doesn't have a good education and job, as he won't be able to support a family.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you think you don't want to stay in school, join the military for a few years. The Navy is a great way to see the world and also to learn skills that will take you a long way. My father learned to be an electrician, and my uncle learned to be an airplane mechanic in the Navy. The Air Force also has a lot of career fields that are great training for high tech civilian jobs.

But just dropping out of college? No. That's not a good way to become successful. And few women will be attracted to a man who doesn't have a good education and job, as he won't be able to support a family.
I'm 4F.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 08-25-2013 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: delete

Old 08-25-2013, 11:15 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Well I am currently debating on whether or not I should stay in skool or just go to work....I may give it at least this semester but Im real confused cuz my parents are pushing me to stay in skool.Thanks for the advice.Thats kool.
I'm certainly not in the loop nowadays for knowing how jobs and higher education correlate but in the late 1970s I entered graduate school simply because I could not find a decent job with a BS, even internationally. In short, I finished an MS while continuing to do extensive job searching. Unfortunately, I did not have the advantage of an immediate family to encourage me on. Had it not been for in-laws who cared and encouraged me, I would have likely quit school after a BS had even a mediocre job materialized. I'm now glad I stayed in school because I ended up in a very interesting career field with a retirement.

Again, whether or not a 1970s jobs/education scenario is even applicable to today, is highly debatable. I will tell you the same thing my late father-in-law once told me that is is even more applicable today than in the 1970s. He said "They can, and they will, take much from you during your lifetime but they cannot take your education."

PS: Don't be in a hurry to start your life. It will go by fast enough.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Thanks High Plains

Old 08-25-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I'm 4F.
Bummer for you.

I do completely agree with HighPlains. Life will come at you pretty quickly. Don't rush it!

Old 08-25-2013, 12:01 PM

yes it is a bummer Christie but it all will work out for the best.Okay thanks.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM

795 posts, read 1,584,969 times
Quote:
Yep its gud to stay in skool and lern sum stuff cuz it mite help u laterr in life. Bro fist. Fist pump. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas