Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 05:04 AM

4 posts, read 13,208 times

Advertisements

I am looking for anyone who may have attended either of the High Schools in Abilene in 1980-83 who may have a memory of two students who were gunned down in a double homicide. One was 17 and the other was 16.

The two girls involved were from the area and were at a Colonial Food Store on North Mockingbird Lane during the late night hours on the weekend. One was a clerk who was on duty. This happened in the months leading up to the summer vacation of 1980.

I was a temporary resident living in Abilene while my brother-in-law was stationed at Dyess AFB. I was also employed at another location for the same chain. The story made the news for several weeks. The motive was not robbery and it had the whole city on edge because it appeared to be a random shooting.

Eventually a 15 year confessed to the crime and the weapon used belonged to his Uncle. The motive listed in the newspaper was a dispute over the clerk's refusal to sell a minor a pack of cigarettes. I was told that this incident help changed the laws to make them strict about advertising the law against selling tobacco to minors.

The clerk went by the first name of 'Sam' but her given name was something different. She had dreams of becoming a lead guitarist for a rock band. She was into rock music and wanted to play guitar like Eddie Van Halen.

In 1986 - I had a roommate from Seattle and we was into music. I told him the story and he wanted to write a song in honor of her memory. He introduced me on the telephone to another musician and he also asked to permission to use part of the story to write a song in honor of her memory.

I went overseas in 1989 and stopped in Waikiki for a night on the town. I met a couple there who were from Abilene. I told them I had lived and worked there for a brief time. They asked where I worked and they automatically asked if I knew either of the girls. I had forgotten about it and was surprised they had a clear memory of the incident. From their telling - a scandal had come to light about the past and it had made headlines.

I am looking for information regarding the news of that event from anyone who may have been in the community during that time period.

I have been overseas and lost touch with my old roommate. I had a silent contract with the two of them and I really lost track of them due to my involvement overseas. Turns out that they both became very popular artists back in the early 90's and the songs are a collection of grunge catalog. I am gearing up to travel to Seattle and would like to have the details of the original story that went into the inspiration of the three songs.

Any information or help in recovering any old news articles on the situation would be appreciated. It is sort of good to have something good come out of something that tragic.

For those interested - the two songs are "Been a Son" and "Chloe Dancer."

Any one who knew Sam - would probably hear a part of her shinning through the lyrics of "Been a Son." Chloe Dancer was a more hidden feminine twist to her in a romanticized view. The nut hidden in the tough outer shell.

Any old student or residents of that time period who recall that tragic time who have old memories of that news story?

Goldenwords
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 01:10 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,028 times
I went to Cooper High School beginning in 1981 and I remember this incident happening but that's about it. I didn't know either of the two girls that were killed. If you want more news info, you might check out the website for the local newspaper here in Abilene (Abilene Reporter-News). They might still have some kind of story about that, but it may be in their archives.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
I went to Cooper High School beginning in 1981 and I remember this incident happening but that's about it. I didn't know either of the two girls that were killed. If you want more news info, you might check out the website for the local newspaper here in Abilene (Abilene Reporter-News). They might still have some kind of story about that, but it may be in their archives.
Hi Dave,

Thank you. I have written both the newspaper and the library in the past and I never get a response from them. I am not in Abilene currently or I would just go to the microfilm section to look it up. That was a traumatic event in my life and left scars I was trying to heal from. I am trying to look back again because one of the songs we worked on together - got passed off to an individual and he made a huge success out of it. I want to be able to tell the whole story and have the facts straight.

I am not sure which campus I had friends on. They lived in the Northern part of town in the vicinity of the store I worked on Ambler and N. Willis.

They had a band and they played at both HS prior to this incident. I think they continued playing gigs for awhile after the incident.

I was hoping to shake this tree a little to see if I can find a path back to the surviving members of the old garage band.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

DK

Old 07-27-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
If you want more news info, you might check out the website for the local newspaper here in Abilene (Abilene Reporter-News). They might still have some kind of story about that, but it may be in their archives.
I finally received a reply from the genealogy department of the local library and there is a researcher who is going to be working on finding me the details.

Thanks,
DK

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,037,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwords View Post
I finally received a reply from the genealogy department of the local library and there is a researcher who is going to be working on finding me the details.

Thanks,
DK
Great news! I'm glad they are going to help you with that.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,168 times
I wish I had information to help you. My question is... Where was the colonial food store located? I work at a dollar general on north mockingbird, and I was told it was once a grocery store. We have been having very, VERY supernatural occurences. Pants have been tugged, items have been moved, we've seen figures. I'm wondering... Maybe one of these victims are still with us? My store is located in an old strip mall, on the opposite side of the street from Abilene high, just a little farther down. If you could email me I'd appreciate it!! [email]D.smith_photography@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin2509 View Post
If you could email me I'd appreciate it!! D.smith_photography@yahoo.com
I sent you an email as requested.

I still haven't heard back from the librarian.

I am wondering if anyone has any memory of it that can help out.

DK

Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,327 times
The Store where the Dollar store is located used to be a grocery store called M System. I worked at the store next door called TG&Y. A far as I know there was a guy named Michael Adams who was a cashier there who disappeared in the summer of 1987 and was never found. As far as the convenience store murders that was across the street on the left hand side. One of the girls names I remember reading was a 16 girl named Maria Carrillo who would of graduated from high school in 1984. I don't know any more details. I found this information in our Abilene High school alumni page on FB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas