Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM

587 posts, read 961,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie_B View Post
Not.

What he said was "A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

It’s completely absurd that getting firearms is so much easier for a lot of folks than being able to vote with no hassles. Bill Clinton is right. Something is horribly wrong with this picture.
It is not harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon. To buy a firearm requires an I.D. and a background check and in some cases a waiting period. Bill Clinton is wrong.

P.S. And there is not a good definition of assault weapon. By the most technical definition, a weapon with fully automatic capability, they are basically banned outright already. They can be owned, but it is expensive and troublesome to get the required license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 PM

75 posts, read 173,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
It is not harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon. To buy a firearm requires an I.D. and a background check and in some cases a waiting period. Bill Clinton is wrong.
gun shows in Texas. TEXAS GUN SHOWS Uptodate list of gun shows in Texas

Gun shows which basically allow anyone who's not a licensed firearm dealer to buy or sell guns without a waiting period, background check, or i.d. Also known as the Gun Show Loophole, which Congress has made clear it has no interest in closing.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

Fraud is fraud, regardless if it's widespread, narrow spread or eagle spread. It is against the law, yet you are saying you're ok with the breaking of the law as long as it's 'not widespread'.
Take a deep breath and think for a moment. Do you really want to live in a country where the police have so much rigid power, that they effectively reduce the incidence of crime to absolute zero. Not one, but zero.

Your freedom to do anything depends on a climate in which an acceptable small incidence of misbehavior is tolerated. What do you think would happen to the price of toothpaste, if WalMart made you run such a gamut of store detectives and detectors and high-tech surveillance that it was impossible for even a single tube to ever be be stolen in a single one of their 5,000 stores? Wouldn't you rather tolerate a couple of shoplifters?

Go and read about the "law of diminishing returns", in which the cost of attaining a desirable goal is greater than the value of the goal. It's one of the simplest principles of economics, and every successful businessman understands it.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 AM

587 posts, read 961,524 times
Quote:
gun shows in Texas. TEXAS GUN SHOWS Uptodate list of gun shows in Texas

Gun shows which basically allow anyone who's not a licensed firearm dealer to buy or sell guns without a waiting period, background check, or i.d. Also known as the Gun Show Loophole, which Congress has made clear it has no interest in closing.
Have you ever even been to a gun show? Sure, someone who is not in the business of selling guns can sell one (or more) without a federal license, but just about every vendor at a gun show is a dealer and does have a license. Bill Clinton's claim is false, it is not more easy to buy an assault weapon or any firearm than it is to vote.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
How does one ACT American and who the hell are you to decide what American is?
I call it as I see it.

An American, especially one in a leadership position, should have this country's best interests at heart, and I don't see that happening much with this administration.

Now, back to Voter ID--I hope it is enacted, and as LS2007 said, those who have difficulty in getting a proper ID can call and ask for assistance in most places.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
I just thought I had seen exaggeration coming into play in this subject. Boy, was I ever wrong. I failed to take into account the miraculous wonder of the human imagination.

I am legitimate and I have no problem whatsoever showing my ID to vote.

Thanks jtur88, for the suggestion to take a deep breath and think. Ahhh, deep breath taken and now I'm thinking . . . I'm out of this farfetched, crazy mess!

Oh, also want to thank you, jtur88, for the big smile that's still on my face from reading your post. I got a big laugh out of it, thanks again!

Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,349,576 times
Quote:
Not.

What he said was "A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

It’s completely absurd that getting firearms is so much easier for a lot of folks than being able to vote with no hassles. Bill Clinton is right. Something is horribly wrong with this picture.
To buy a firearm from an FFL dealer a photo ID and background check are required. In order to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to carry for self defense, I am required to do all that and take a class and pay a fee.
Where in the Constitution does it say I have to do all that?

"Hard to vote"

What a joke!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
When my mother was 97, she hadn't driven a car in more than ten years and was living in a care facility that provided all that she needed without ever asking to see here Photo ID.

With an election coming up, I drove her down to city hall, and while she waited in the car, I went in and requested an absentee ballot, showing her voter registation card. I took the ballot out to the car, she marked it and sealed it in the envelope, and I took it back in and handed it to the registrar. That was then.

This is now. Under new Texas law, she would have been denied the vote, unless I first took her 30 miles to the DMV office, got her out of the car in a walker, taken her inside, taken a number and waited an hour or so. It had been so long since her DL had expired, it probably would not have been accepted, and I doubt if she was in possession of any of the necessary documents, since her birth had never been formally registered.

By the way, my mother was not an illegal alien.

What has to be done in this country to get selfish people, for whom everything in life comes so easy, to think for a moment about what the lives and circumstances of other people might be like?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When my mother was 97, she hadn't driven a car in more than ten years and was living in a care facility that provided all that she needed without ever asking to see here Photo ID.

With an election coming up, I drove her down to city hall, and while she waited in the car, I went in and requested an absentee ballot, showing her voter registation card. I took the ballot out to the car, she marked it and sealed it in the envelope, and I took it back in and handed it to the registrar. That was then.

This is now. Under new Texas law, she would have been denied the vote, unless I first took her 30 miles to the DMV office, got her out of the car in a walker, taken her inside, taken a number and waited an hour or so. It had been so long since her DL had expired, it probably would not have been accepted, and I doubt if she was in possession of any of the necessary documents, since her birth had never been formally registered.

By the way, my mother was not an illegal alien.

What has to be done in this country to get selfish people to think for a moment about what the lives and circumstances of other people might be like?
Your are missing the point!

You mother didn't have a license/Id Card because she didn’t need one for anything. If she needed a license then she would have had one. Now with renewing online it is very simple to do and it would take no driving to a DMV office.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:57 PM

80 posts, read 182,120 times
US is my third country of citizenship. In other countries voting is not a right, but a responsibility, and there are not just ID, but PASSPORT requirements in order to vote in elections. No one caters to one's "what if ...." It is simple: you are either a responsible citizen or not, and take care of your responsibilities or not, no exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas