Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,930,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Apparently bad logic. Though Obama hasn't been a good president, he is certainly better than the last and I would have rather voted for him than Mitt Romney.
We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Wasn't carried away with his predecessor, but at least he was raised as an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 AM

4,455 posts, read 5,382,673 times
Canada makes you show government issued ID to vote and they aren't exactly a conservative country people.

Quote:
Federal elections[edit source | edit[SIZE=2]beta[/SIZE]]

In Canada the Federal government will send out, by mail, an Elections Canada registration confirmation card, which the voter takes to the polling station, in advance detailing the where and when that individual should vote. To vote, one must prove their identity and address. A voter has three options:[1]
(1) Show one original piece of identification with photo, name and address like a driver's license or a health card. It must be issued by a government agency.
(2) Show two original pieces of authorized identification. Both pieces must have a name and one must also have an address. Examples: student ID card, birth certificate, public transportation card, utility bill, bank/credit card statement, etc.
(3) Take an oath and have an elector who knows the voter vouch for them (both of which will be required to make a sworn statement). This person must have authorized identification and their name must appear on the list of electors in the same polling division as the voter. This person can only vouch for one person and the person who is vouched for cannot vouch for another elector.
Voter ID laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2013, 09:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,421,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
but like your grandmother and others in her situation they would have likely went and obtained an ID because with this law they would need one to vote.
Possibly. Look at it from a different perspective, though.

You have an elderly woman living on a fixed income with no car. She does her grocery shopping on foot. If she has a doctor appointment or has to go somewhere that isn't within walking distance, she has to take a bus or use a taxi. Using a bus to get across town can be exhausting for an elderly person, and quite stressful.

Also bear in mind that this woman's first language is not English and while she does speak English very well, she has an accent that some people find hard to understand.

Many younger people get frustrated with government bureaucracy and throw their hands up in anger or frustration over how difficult it can be to accomplish even the simplest task. Now remember that this woman would most likely have to renew her passport before being able to use it as a picture ID, then she'd have to travel around to government offices many miles from home and stand in line for a long time in order to obtain the required picture ID. She'd have to do all of that unassisted with no guidance from anyone else. To a frail old woman in her 90s that can actually be incredibly intimidating. Many will simply give up and stop voting.

So sure, they can just go and get an ID. But you and I both know that many of them won't.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM

12,988 posts, read 13,454,535 times
If they want to vote bad enough they will.
Besides, how do they cash a check or do any bank business without an ID? How did they sign up for Social Security or any government programs?

Read your history. Voter fraud in South Texas during the 1940s led directly to the Vietnam War.

If you people think that doesn't happen today just because we're in more modern times, then there is no point in arguing about it.

Corruption is rampant from Washington DC down to your local city government.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,503,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Canada makes you show government issued ID to vote and they aren't exactly a conservative country people.

Voter ID laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So does Germany and The Netherlands. They also enforce their immigration laws.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,421,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If they want to vote bad enough they will.
Besides, how do they cash a check or do any bank business without an ID? How did they sign up for Social Security or any government programs?
I have no idea, and I can't ask her how she did it because she died some time ago. I do know that she did not have a social security number or if she did, she didn't know what it was. She was a naturalized US citizen (as evidenced by her expired US passport and a yellowing, foxed piece of paper affirming her naturalization) but she was a stay-at-home-mom, then a housewife. She also does not appear on the Social Security "death roll".

Quote:
Read your history. Voter fraud in South Texas during the 1940s led directly to the Vietnam War.

If you people think that doesn't happen today just because we're in more modern times, then there is no point in arguing about it.

Corruption is rampant from Washington DC down to your local city government.
Of course voter fraud happens. The question is, is it widespread enough to make a huge difference...and is eliminating it worth the cost to more vulnerable segments of society who do not have picture IDs?

As long as we help people get picture IDs (including waiving any fees for the elderly/poor), I'm fine with having to show an ID to vote. (Even if it's just a temporary measure, i.e. for the next X number of election cycles.)

Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM

298 posts, read 418,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Wasn't carried away with his predecessor, but at least he was raised as an American.
Well ok, I understand. I'm not a big fan of Obama either.

But, how wasnt Obama raised an american might i ask? Are you insinuating he wasn't born in this country? Even if he wasn't, his mother was still a United States citizen.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM

12,988 posts, read 13,454,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I have no idea, and I can't ask her how she did it because she died some time ago. I do know that she did not have a social security number or if she did, she didn't know what it was. She was a naturalized US citizen (as evidenced by her expired US passport and a yellowing, foxed piece of paper affirming her naturalization) but she was a stay-at-home-mom, then a housewife. She also does not appear on the Social Security "death roll".

Of course voter fraud happens. The question is, is it widespread enough to make a huge difference...and is eliminating it worth the cost to more vulnerable segments of society who do not have picture IDs?

As long as we help people get picture IDs (including waiving any fees for the elderly/poor), I'm fine with having to show an ID to vote. (Even if it's just a temporary measure, i.e. for the next X number of election cycles.)
Widespread?

ONE stuffed ballot box in rural South Texas was enough to send "Landslide" Lyndon Johnson to the US Senate.

Need I say more?

IIRC, the Texas voter ID law provides a free ID to the poor & elderly.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,930,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Well ok, I understand. I'm not a big fan of Obama either.

But, how wasnt Obama raised an american might i ask? Are you insinuating he wasn't born in this country? Even if he wasn't, his mother was still a United States citizen.
No, not referring to where he was or wasn't born. He spent a number of years in INDONESIA with his mother and a non-American stepfather.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM

577 posts, read 514,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
No, not referring to where he was or wasn't born. He spent a number of years in INDONESIA with his mother and a non-American stepfather.
Just because an American citizen spends a few years outside of the country is no reason to call them un-American. Also, many of the greatest Americans in history had parents that were not citizens of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas