Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,627,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Learn something new everyday because I honestly thought it was only used for DFW.I did a google search and it confirmed what you said about different metroplexes.
LOL well, I learned something too. Not being a native Texan, I've heard the term used to describe other similar city configurations, and I had no idea that the term apparently actually DID start with Dallas/Fort Worth!

I honestly never had any idea that many Texans would consider it to only apply to DFW - since I've heard it applied to other cities outside of Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,317,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
"Metroplex" in Texas usage means the Dallas/Fort Worth area specifically, you should know that. In Central Texas we use the term, "Austin/San Antonio Corridor".
I have lived in Austin since the mid-1980s. "Austin/San Antonio Corridor" is hardly commonly used except by city planners.

Metroplex? Yeah by some.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:35 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,527,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Learn something new everyday because I honestly thought it was only used for DFW.I did a google search and it confirmed what you said about different metroplexes.
It is still used primarily to refer to DFW, but like all words, it is subject to semantic shift, and has broadened in meaning. It will most assuredly continue to do so. DFW residents can still enjoy that they were the first and original metroplex, but there's no stopping the evolution of words.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL well, I learned something too. Not being a native Texan, I've heard the term used to describe other similar city configurations, and I had no idea that the term apparently actually DID start with Dallas/Fort Worth!

I honestly never had any idea that many Texans would consider it to only apply to DFW - since I've heard it applied to other cities outside of Texas!
DFW has been referred to as simply "The Metroplex" for decades now. As a Dallasite, my ideas about how much the word is used outside of DFW is probably really skewed. I hear the word so often that its just ingrained in me to refer to DFW alone. But for those who grew up outside of DFW, hey, why not use the word to describe other similar metropolitan areas?

I'd be curious to hear what other metros you've heard called a metroplex. Language change is fun.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM

562 posts, read 995,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Don't be deceived by $ per student spending numbers. They are never adjusted for cost of living.

I think the most truthful thing about Texas schools is that they vary widely in academic performance. The #1 reason is the demographics of the student body in each school district and campus.
Yeah, I will keep that in mind.

For what its worth, I've only heard the term 'metroplex' used to refer to DFW.

This is a bit of a less important and off-handed question but does anyone have an idea of which of the major cities may have the biggest Wiccan or pagan populations? Especially when it comes to looking for occult or herbalist stores. I would imagine Houston by sheer volume but maybe there is somewhere else? Anywhere that there is even a small pagan community would be wonderful. No such thing really exists here in central Illinois.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Yeah, I will keep that in mind.

For what its worth, I've only heard the term 'metroplex' used to refer to DFW.

This is a bit of a less important and off-handed question but does anyone have an idea of which of the major cities may have the biggest Wiccan or pagan populations? Especially when it comes to looking for occult or herbalist stores. I would imagine Houston by sheer volume but maybe there is somewhere else? Anywhere that there is even a small pagan community would be wonderful. No such thing really exists here in central Illinois.
Not knowing a thing about what makes a true pagan community or a pagan herbalist store, a quick search found The Labyrinth in Dallas and The Magick Cauldron in Houston. The Magick Cauldron specifically calls itself a Pagan store.

I have also found a website that lists Metaphysical Shops around DFW. Maybe one of those is what you'd be looking for?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,014,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

haha,before yesterday I had never heard Austin-San Antone refered to as a "metroplex".Yes, I understand because I am sure if I ever lived somewhere else there would definately be things to learn.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,014,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
It is still used primarily to refer to DFW, but like all words, it is subject to semantic shift, and has broadened in meaning. It will most assuredly continue to do so. DFW residents can still enjoy that they were the first and original metroplex, but there's no stopping the evolution of words.
true.I guess my perspective was distorted by being a native of Tarrant County.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:54 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,101,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Not knowing a thing about what makes a true pagan community or a pagan herbalist store, a quick search found The Labyrinth in Dallas and The Magick Cauldron in Houston. The Magick Cauldron specifically calls itself a Pagan store.

I have also found a website that lists Metaphysical Shops around DFW. Maybe one of those is what you'd be looking for?
The Magick Cauldron was kinda cool.
There used to be other stores around Montrose but I dont know if they are still around.

I fear that tge Magick Cauldron is getting too comercialized though.
There adds make them look too Party City

Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,933,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Metroplex? Yeah by some.
Not ever.

https://www.google.com/#output=searc...w=1092&bih=514
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas