Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 72,518 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Texas in February. We live in California right now and hope for a better life style in Texas. I heard Texans are so nice, here in California everyone thinks they are better than everyone else. Dont want my children growing up in all that. Im visiting in October and want to check out some possible locations. So a few questions....
Which part of Texas floods? What area of Texas has "rolling hills?" and are those good places to live? What would you consider to be the best mid-sized place to live in Texas for a family? Does Dallas have the most tornados?
Thanks in advance. =D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM

714 posts, read 2,932,756 times
cali82,

Just about any place in Texas has been known to flood at one time, but I think it occurs the most in larger cities, and off the coast due to hurricanes and tropical storms.

I'd stay away from Dallas, and I live near it. It is way to big, too noisy and dirty for me.

If you want rolling hills, you can look into the Hill Country, it is sorta northwest of San Antonio, or the Piney Woods of East Texas. But the towns are not large in those areas, mostly less that 100,000.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM

83 posts, read 418,132 times
Wow, you sound exactly like me! What part of California are you in? I was born and raised in the Bay Area lived in San Diego for 5 years and now live outside of Sacramento and I have never been around a bigger group of snobs in my life. We are taking a vacation in August to Ft. Worth to see how we like the area and possibly move down there. No family around there, but it is more important for us that our kids do not grow up to be like everyone out here who thinks that you are beneath them if you do not live in a certain neighborhood. Anyway, I have been doing research and Austin seems like it has the most mild weather as far as hurricanes, tornadoes, snow? Not sure.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali82 View Post
My family and I are moving to Texas in February. We live in California right now and hope for a better life style in Texas. I heard Texans are so nice, here in California everyone thinks they are better than everyone else. Dont want my children growing up in all that. Im visiting in October and want to check out some possible locations. So a few questions....
Which part of Texas floods? What area of Texas has "rolling hills?" and are those good places to live? What would you consider to be the best mid-sized place to live in Texas for a family? Does Dallas have the most tornados?
Thanks in advance. =D
Hi Cali,

There are so many options in terms of what you are looking for! You mention rolling hills? I would say that if you want some greenery along with the rolling hills, that parts of southern North Texas and Central Texas would be a place to look at.

The mid-size city aspect really depends on how you define it. In Texas, I would say, IMHO, the mid-size range runs from about 75,000 to about 125,000. Waco, Tyler, Wichita Falls, Abilene, to name a couple, might all fit. But again, that definition is very subjective...

So far as tornadoes go? That is an often asked question by people moving from California. There are a couple of good threads on this forum you might check out on the topic. As a general rule though, the north central and northwestern parts of the state are the most "tornado prone".

The only other thing I can really add before specifics is that a lot of folks moving from the West Coast experience "culture shock" (which is natural, of course). But I can say with confidence that if you move to Texas and want to become "one of us" so to speak, then you will find no more hospitable and welcoming place in the country!

Good luck in your search, and you will find many here happy to assist you!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM

121 posts, read 488,593 times
My choice for the best "mid-size" city with rolling hills, would be San Marcos or New Braunfels. Both are close enough to San Antonio and Austin to have good job opportunities but neither feel like they are part of those cities.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimama View Post
Anyway, I have been doing research and Austin seems like it has the most mild weather as far as hurricanes, tornadoes, snow? Not sure.
LOL I just posted when I caught your last one about Austin! I think you are probably right about Austin perhaps having less than an average amount of all the things you mention, but at the same time, I understand it can be VERY prone to flooding.

Another thing, is that Austin is a city where, in recent years, has become a sorta of "meca" for transplanted Californians. So, depending, it might or might not be what you are looking for. I mean, you might be around people from your native state and feel more at home. On the other hand, you might just be getting into a locale where you are back into what you are trying to get away from!

I don't really know all that much about Austin though, so will defer to those more knowlegeable!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Calimama--
How awesome!! Im so happy to hear another Californian leaving this snobbish state!! My husband and I dont have any family in Texas either, but I think it will be a good thing, I can feel it. I have heard alot of good things about Austin as well, I was looking at San Marcos because its between San Antonio and Austin, and its in a mid-sized town. Does anyone know more about San Marcos?

Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Hi Cali,

There are so many options in terms of what you are looking for! You mention rolling hills? I would say that if you want some greenery along with the rolling hills, that parts of southern North Texas and Central Texas would be a place to look at.

The mid-size city aspect really depends on how you define it. In Texas, I would say, IMHO, the mid-size range runs from about 75,000 to about 125,000. Waco, Tyler, Wichita Falls, Abilene, to name a couple, might all fit. But again, that definition is very subjective...

So far as tornadoes go? That is an often asked question by people moving from California. There are a couple of good threads on this forum you might check out on the topic. As a general rule though, the north central and northwestern parts of the state are the most "tornado prone".

The only other thing I can really add before specifics is that a lot of folks moving from the West Coast experience "culture shock" (which is natural, of course). But I can say with confidence that if you move to Texas and want to become "one of us" so to speak, then you will find no more hospitable and welcoming place in the country!

Good luck in your search, and you will find many here happy to assist you!

Thank you so much! Im excited to move out of this snob state lol.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:42 AM

384 posts, read 1,581,169 times
Quote:
I was looking at San Marcos because its between San Antonio and Austin, and its in a mid-sized town. Does anyone know more about San Marcos?
My brother moved just outside of San Marcos in December to work at the university there. He really enjoys it, and plans to stay a very long time. Neither of us had even visited that part of Texas before last year.

San Marcos feels more "blue collar" than the pricier areas of metro Austin, but it feels very safe. I think my brother could leave his house unlocked, and never have a problem (not that I'd recommend that).
New Braunfels is just a short jump down the road, and is probably a little nicer overall, BUT San Marcos has the advantages of being closer to Austin, having a large university of its own,
and having the huge outlet mall.

You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better location in Texas than San Marcos-New Braunfels. Austin and San Antonio are so close, plus you have the Hill Country to the west, and the little BBQ towns Lockhart and Luling to the east.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatex View Post
My brother moved just outside of San Marcos in December to work at the university there. He really enjoys it, and plans to stay a very long time. Neither of us had even visited that part of Texas before last year.

San Marcos feels more "blue collar" than the pricier areas of metro Austin, but it feels very safe. I think my brother could leave his house unlocked, and never have a problem (not that I'd recommend that).
New Braunfels is just a short jump down the road, and is probably a little nicer overall, BUT San Marcos has the advantages of being closer to Austin, having a large university of its own,
and having the huge outlet mall.

You'd be hard-pressed to come up with a better location in Texas than San Marcos-New Braunfels. Austin and San Antonio are so close, plus you have the Hill Country to the west, and the little BBQ towns Lockhart and Luling to the east.
Thank you! I will definatly go and check it out in October!
Does anyone know anything about Longview, TX? I just want to explore all my possibilities before I make the big move.
Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas