Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,482,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
a two block area called Uptown
False. Here, let me enlighten you. Does this look like a two-block area? (2 links)
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...581&dg=feature
Uptown Dallas - Explore Uptown

They claim that...Uptown is the crown in all of Texas of being the pedestrian-friendly area
Uptown is one of the most pedestrian-friendly areas in all of Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown,_Dallas

In 1993 they formed one of the first public improvement districts in the region [Uptown Dallas].
It's amazing what a city can do in 20 years, when it puts its mind to it. The key is to make a plan, then stick to the plan. In August, 2013, Dallas celebrated 30 years since voters in Dallas and 13 other cities voted to become part of the transit authority. Look how far we've come.
DART Inmotion July 2013

In December, 2014, DART will finally connect via rail to DFW International Airport. IMO, this should have been done sooner, but at least it's almost a reality.
DFW Airport offers sneak peek at DART station | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

DART is moving ahead, with connections to Denton.
DART.org - DART Rail Green Line

And Arlington in a 2-year pilot program.
DART Approves Arlington Bus Service | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

DART already connects to The T (Fort Worth Transportation Authority) via the TRE (Trinity Railway Express).
Schedules - Trinity Railway Express (TRE)

It takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to the Downtown Garland Station. From there I can take the train to downtown Dallas, the TRE to downtown Fort Worth, then The T to anywhere in Fort Worth. I did that last year when I went to the Fort Worth Cultural District to visit the Kimbell Art Museum, considered to be "America's best small museum."
Kimbell Art Museum

Yet another innovation is coming this Monday, 9/16/13 from DART, the Fort Worth Transportation Authority and the Denton County Transportation Authority. (2 links)
No cash, no paper, no problem: Dallas transit agency to soon launch ticketing app | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
GoPass SM

The North Texas agencies are among the first in the country to offer mobile ticketing.
DART.org - DART News Release

Dallas-Fort Worth does not copy--we pioneer.
....So how many buses does Houston have in its fleet again???

Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 PM

328 posts, read 473,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
You feel good about yourself? Considering much in your post is overly exagerrated.

Because i could think of plenty of equally ridiculous claims and arguments I've heard Dallasites make.

They argue Houston only grew by annexation, nevermind to those towns only being populations of 10,000 people at the time. They argue that Houston's population is so large because its city limits are so big, never- minding that although not by much, it still manages to be denser than Dallas in city limit population.

They argue that claiming suburbs THAT GREW BECAUSE OF HOUSTON like The Woodlands and Sugarland is equal to claiming a big major city like Ft Worth that was already a big city in its own merit, as well as its own suburbs.

They like to act like they're the only major city in Texas that's doing urban projects like residential living downtown, urban parks, and etc, while totally oblivious to all the residential that's happening in Houston at this very moment.

They claim that a two block area called Uptown is the crown in all of Texas of being the pedestrian-friendly area when really those claims should rightfully go to San Antonio, Ft. Worth, or Austin.

They claim that they're "so original" like they're the first city in the world to have thought to build a deck park.

I could go on, but my time is valuable and plus, it doesn't bother me as much enough to write an entire page essay about it.

And this is a lie! No one in Houston argues that Uptown is more pedestrian friendly than Uptown Dallas. But Uptown Houston does come closer to representing alot of major city's downtown than UTD. It's got office space and a skyline comparable to downtown Denver for pete's sake!

And Uptown Houston is quickly changing. The Whole Foods/ BLVD place development is quickly reshaping the area. There's been like over 4 new skyscrapers, the River Oaks/High Street development on the other side of 610 is also spurring up, and then there's always the benefit of having The Galleria amidst looming skyscrapers and residential development.
They argue Houston only grew by annexation
Forget annexation. Let's talk about the population increase from Katrina.
Post-Hurricane Population Data Released (search "Houston")

In the hurricane's immediate aftermath, Texas sheltered the bulk of those forced to flee New Orleans and other areas in Louisiana. Houston alone took in nearly 250,000 displaced people, and a year after the storm, there were still about 251,000 evacuees statewide, according to a survey by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.
Katrina population may help Texas gain 4th U.S. House seat | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

An additional 150,000 to 200,000 mostly black evacuees arrived in 2005 from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, with many of them deciding to stay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Houston

There is no question that Houston's population is growing from in-migration from other US cities. But population increases due to past annexation and Katrina have skewed the stats. Those facts cannot be denied.

Added later. BTW, I have read numerous articles about the tremendous generosity--the humanity--displayed by Houstonians in the aftermath of one of the greatest natural disasters in American history, Katrina. When it happened, I recall that Houston was very vocal and receptive to help. Initially, with first-responder help, that is, housing the homeless in centers. Then, later, I distinctly remember the powers that be in Houston said that New Orleanians were welcome to stay and make their lives in Houston. Some simple searches in Google will provide a timeline of the events from 2005 going forward. Many have regrets considering what transpired, but I will always say that Houston did the right thing. The charitable thing. They showed true hospitality in helping those who had nothing, whose lives had been destroyed, who had lost loved ones. No matter what the naysayers might believe, including those in Houston itself, the city, and the people, ultimately did the right thing for the people of New Orleans.

Last edited by casimpso; 09-14-2013 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: props for Houston

Old 09-14-2013, 07:45 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,866,085 times
The DART train to DFW will be the most driven rail line in the system. The fact that a person can get to the airport without having to go through traffic, paying parking fees etc is good deal IMO.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:53 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,795,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The DART train to DFW will be the most driven rail line in the system. The fact that a person can get to the airport without having to go through traffic, paying parking fees etc is good deal IMO.
There's just too many reasons why this line will be very successful.

1.Employees - AMR is the biggest DFW metro employer. Add to it everybody else working in the airport and you can see why this alone will greatly increase DARTS numbers.

2.Travelers - DFW citizens will no longer have to go through all that hassle of taking their car, renting a cab, or asking a friend or relatives for a ride to the airport. At the very most they could just be dropped of at their nearest station if they don't live close to one.

3.Visitors - It's no secret that DFW Airport is one of the busiest airports in the nation and Dallas is big on conventions. Expect many visitors to ride DART instead of renting cars or calling cabs. It's more convenient, less expensive, and DART passes by the Convention Center, World Trade Center, Downtown and other convention areas.

4.Regional Hub - In the future when the T and DART build the Cotton Belt Rail line, DFW Airport will become a major regional connecting hub. It will connect Fort Worth, Carrollton, Coppell, Grapevine, Addison, N Richland Hills, Haltom City and beyond to the orange line and the rest of the DART system.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:31 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,392,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
a two block area called Uptown
False. Here, let me enlighten you. Does this look like a two-block area? (2 links)
https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...581&dg=feature
Uptown Dallas - Explore Uptown

They claim that...Uptown is the crown in all of Texas of being the pedestrian-friendly area
Uptown is one of the most pedestrian-friendly areas in all of Texas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown,_Dallas

In 1993 they formed one of the first public improvement districts in the region [Uptown Dallas].
It's amazing what a city can do in 20 years, when it puts its mind to it. The key is to make a plan, then stick to the plan. In August, 2013, Dallas celebrated 30 years since voters in Dallas and 13 other cities voted to become part of the transit authority. Look how far we've come.
DART Inmotion July 2013

In December, 2014, DART will finally connect via rail to DFW International Airport. IMO, this should have been done sooner, but at least it's almost a reality.
DFW Airport offers sneak peek at DART station | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

DART is moving ahead, with connections to Denton.
DART.org - DART Rail Green Line

And Arlington in a 2-year pilot program.
DART Approves Arlington Bus Service | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

DART already connects to The T (Fort Worth Transportation Authority) via the TRE (Trinity Railway Express).
Schedules - Trinity Railway Express (TRE)

It takes me less than 10 minutes to walk to the Downtown Garland Station. From there I can take the train to downtown Dallas, the TRE to downtown Fort Worth, then The T to anywhere in Fort Worth. I did that last year when I went to the Fort Worth Cultural District to visit the Kimbell Art Museum, considered to be "America's best small museum."
Kimbell Art Museum

Yet another innovation is coming this Monday, 9/16/13 from DART, the Fort Worth Transportation Authority and the Denton County Transportation Authority. (2 links)
No cash, no paper, no problem: Dallas transit agency to soon launch ticketing app | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
GoPass SM

The North Texas agencies are among the first in the country to offer mobile ticketing.
DART.org - DART News Release

Dallas-Fort Worth does not copy--we pioneer.
^ Great overview on what's happening with DART. Dallas doesn't receive the recognition it deserves for at least making an attempt to create a less car dependent way of life in a Sunbelt city.

The Downtown to Oak Cliff streetcar project is moving along...

Placing of rails another milestone for Oak Cliff-downtown streetcar project | Dallas Morning News

Old 09-14-2013, 01:01 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,140,657 times
How many people ride DART again?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
How many people ride DART again?
Here you go. DART.org - Facts about Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)

Now my questions.

How many miles of rail has Houston built since 2004? How much has ridership on Metrorail decreased since inception? How many bus lines has Houston shut down to promote Metrorail ridership? Why has there been so few (if any) TODs constructed along the rail line in Houston since it's initial completion?

Old 09-14-2013, 01:42 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,748,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
Here you go. DART.org - Facts about Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)

Now my questions.

How many miles of rail has Houston built since 2004? How much has ridership on Metrorail decreased since inception?
Right now two new light rail lines are being built in Houston and the current line is being extended to the north, so a total of 15.2 miles will be added to the system. They are expected to be open by 2015 at the latest, with the North Line expected to open in December of this year.

Homepage

Anyways ridership has increased and the system has the second highest ridership per track mile with only Boston's Green Line exceeding it.

Quote:
How many bus lines has Houston shut down to promote Metrorail ridership?
None

Quote:
Why has there been so few (if any) TODs constructed along the rail line in Houston since it's initial completion?
There have been new housing and mixed use developments being developed along the rail line in Midtown and Downtown among others. Anyways there isn't really a need for TOD because the rail line already runs through densely developed areas such as the Texas Medical Center and Downtown.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,995,019 times
Dart shut down bus lines when it extended rail. All cities do that. There are more TODs being developed now because there are other lines under construction.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Right now two new light rail lines are being built in Houston and the current line is being extended to the north, so a total of 15.2 miles will be added to the system. They are expected to be open by 2015 at the latest, with the North Line expected to open in December of this year.

Homepage

Anyways ridership has increased and the system has the second highest ridership per track mile with only Boston's Green Line exceeding it.

None

There have been new housing and mixed use developments being developed along the rail line in Midtown and Downtown among others. Anyways there isn't really a need for TOD because the rail line already runs through densely developed areas such as the Texas Medical Center and Downtown.
Thanks for the info. The genuineness of your answers and not coming across as a hater is much appreciated.

I truly hope Houston's mass transit plans are a complete success, the same hope I have for Dallas' and Fort Worth's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas