Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,510,314 times

Advertisements

" However Dallas and DFW never rides the highs but hasn't ever seen the lows either. Do you think Houston wants a repeat of the 80's which almost turned Houston into Detroit? DFW never bottomed out like that."

Here's an article from the New York Times that totally debunks the statement above. dated July 31, 1988

* Houston added 27,500 jobs in the 12 months that ended last May and is now gaining jobs at an even faster rate, about 4,000 a month, at a time when employment in Dallas has been essentially flat.
* Last month Houston set a record for home sales, while newspapers in Dallas were carrying banner headlines about a decline in the value of properties there.
* Although its oil and gas exploration industry and commercial real estate are still hobbled, Houston's petrochemical businesses and port are booming. The city is also home to many of Texas's stars from business and science, such bright lights as the Compaq Computer Corporation, which plans to add 4,000 jobs here, and Paul Chu of the University of Houston, a leading researcher in superconductor application. In Dallas, meanwhile, unresolved problems in banking and real estate are casting a pall on the economic landscape. Only Friday night, the Government announced a $4 billion bailout of the First Republicbank Corporation of Dallas, one of the nation's largest and most troubled banking concerns.

Heres the link

Houston vs. Dallas - A Boom, a Bust, Two Cities and One Intense Rivalry - NYTimes.com

Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The difference between Houston and DFW in total GMP is 31 billion a year that is nearly 8.5% that is a significant difference, but where it really gets substantial is per capita GMP where Houstons per capita GMP is 64,000 and DFW is 55,000 that is over 16%. These are facts supported by Brookings institute which is the same org that said DFW came out of recession first, that you jumped on without any analysis.

Here is the link if you can handle the facts. Global MetroMonitor | Brookings Institution

BTW I don't hate DFW either. You are the one who is saying Dallas has a better economy and I have to disagree with facts and not just absolutist rhetoric...
If you're saying I said Dallas has a better economy, ill send you a first grade enrollment form because you wouldn't know how to read. I said Dallas and DFW has/have a more diverse economy. As I've said over and over (that somehow you missed), there are advantages to a flagship and a diverse economy.

As for the size difference I cannot open the link as I'm out of country right now. The difference between DFW and Houston as of 2010 was 10 trillion. I can't post either since I'm stuck using an iPad.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,510,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
If you're saying I said Dallas has a better economy, ill send you a first grade enrollment form because you wouldn't know how to read. I said Dallas and DFW has/have a more diverse economy. As I've said over and over (that somehow you missed), there are advantages to a flagship and a diverse economy.

As for the size difference I cannot open the link as I'm out of country right now. The difference between DFW and Houston as of 2010 was 10 trillion. I can't post either since I'm stuck using an iPad.
I understand but my point has been that Houston's economy has been just as stable at least over the past 10 years. So either Houston has more diversity than you give it credit for and or diversity is not all its cracked up to be.

As far as GMP figures ,I'm sure you meant 10 "billion", sorry for your computer problems. I tell you what we can put our debate off till you get into a better computational position if you like lol

Thanks for letting me know about that shortcomming of Pads

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,785,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The difference between Houston and DFW in total GMP is 31 billion a year that is nearly 8.5% that is a significant difference, but where it really gets substantial is per capita GMP where Houstons per capita GMP is 64,000 and DFW is 55,000 that is over 16%. These are facts supported by Brookings institute which is the same org that said DFW came out of recession first, that you jumped on without any analysis.

Here is the link if you can handle the facts. Global MetroMonitor | Brookings Institution

BTW I don't hate DFW either. You are the one who is saying Dallas has a better economy and I have to disagree with facts and not just absolutist rhetoric...
Dallas does have a better economy. That makes two.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,454,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
You are dead wrong about the economy. The others ok, but not the economy.
No I am not The reason why Houston is doing so well is due to its very diverse economy.

Economy of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Dallas does have a better economy. That makes two.
No true...

Houston ranks #1 and Dallas ranks 91st

Houston economy ranked top in U.S., 40th worldwide - Your Houston News: News

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM

405 posts, read 823,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
If you mean ethnically than yeah Houston is more diverse. DFW is more economically diverse however since half of Houston's economy revolves around oil/gas.

Houston region is now the most diverse in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
I agree. And almost the rest of the other half of Houston's economy is based around medical jobs. Dallas definitely has the edge with economic diversity while Houston has the edge with ethnic diversity. Just one of many examples of how both cities are equally great for different reasons. It's just a matter of which one you prefer as an individual.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
I agree. And almost the rest of the other half of Houston's economy is based around medical jobs. Dallas definitely has the edge with economic diversity while Houston has the edge with ethnic diversity. Just one of many examples of how both cities are equally great for different reasons. It's just a matter of which one you prefer as an individual.
Please provide data to back up your claim about Dallas having such a diverse economy.

Also you are flat out wrong claiming that half of Houston's economy is oil and the other half medical.

So you think that all the people working in Houston are either in oil or medical and that this is the reason that Houston now has the #1 economy in the US?

Did you forget about NASA?
Did you forget about the Port of Houston?
Did you forget about the Energy Sector?
Did you forget about the Banking and Financial Services?
Did you forget about Information and Technology?
Did you forget about the numerous Higher Education Colleges especially for the Medical Professions?
Did you forget about Manufacturing?
Did you forget about Construction?
Did you forget about Retail?
Did you forget about Real Estate?
Did you forget about Hospitality?
Are you aware that Houston is home to 23 of the 52 Fortune 500 Companies in Texas?

Lastly did you miss that Houston had the #1 economy in the US and that Dallas ranked 91st?

Houston economy ranked top in U.S., 40th worldwide - Your Houston News: News

Old 01-29-2013, 01:52 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,582 times
Not to crash on the Houston ticker parade, but until I can get a job in Houston without the prerequisite of living in the area, it has no room to talk about having the #1 economy in the nation. Since 2009, I've been stuck in the only city I've seen that has created jobs (thanks to excessive federal spending) and have been trying to GTFO this swamphole by applying for jobs in a select few cities, Houston included. But so far, no dice.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Not to crash on the Houston ticker parade, but until I can get a job in Houston without the prerequisite of living in the area, it has no room to talk about having the #1 economy in the nation. Since 2009, I've been stuck in the only city I've seen that has created jobs (thanks to excessive federal spending) and have been trying to GTFO this swamphole by applying for jobs in a select few cities, Houston included. But so far, no dice.
What are your skills and education?

About its #1 economic status...it is what it is. The numbers don't lie

Please site your source for claiming that Houston rose to the top economically due to excessive federal spending.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/daily...s-fiscal-union

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ng-charts-maps

Gee look how much TX pays in Federal Taxes...certainly more than it receives.

Last edited by TVC15; 01-29-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas