Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 AM

14 posts, read 87,936 times

Advertisements

My brother is relocating to Anna Tx, I live in Panama City Florida and am seriously thinking about moving over there, maybe to Mckinney. Is it a good place? I'm so sick of Florida, I moved here back in 1988 and it has gotten bad here, the jobs really suck, I make decent money but I have been stuck in this same job for 10 yrs and the mentality around here is 'you're lucky to have a job' now work your ass off, get bitched at all the time and threatened to lose your job if you don't bow down, any other jobs pay like 8-9 dollars start and no insurance that ya can afford at all, and the dam rent is too high everywhere here and roaches and flies etc, so sick of this dam place and want a new start. I'm 45 and want a new start for my wife and I so I'm really curious about Mckinney, been looking stuff up online about the place and going over there in July when I help my bro move into his new house in Anna to help him move in and we'll look around. I'm in the home medical equipment business as a warehouse manager, any info would be great. Florida really sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Follow the money and the money is in Midland/Odessa Tx. McKinney is a nice area but if you can't find a job you like or pays well, you're only swapping one unhappy situation for another.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 AM

But anywhere in Texas has gotta be better than Panama City fl, gotta start thinking about retirement, only got about 25-30 yrs left to work, can't see doin it here

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz1967 View Post
But anywhere in Texas has gotta be better than Panama City fl, gotta start thinking about retirement, only got about 25-30 yrs left to work, can't see doin it here
I've been to Panama (Destin and Water Color as well) and it didn't look like anything was going on outside of tourism. I had never in my life seen that many homes for sale in one area at the same time.

If you want to continue just getting by, then Dallas or McKenney is your place. If you want to make enough money to retire before your 100yrs old, then head West my friend. You talk about bad economies, the news talks about a struggling economy, this is news to us. Our economy has been top economy in the state and 15th in the nation starting when the economy took a dump. Inexperienced high school drop outs are making $40,000-50,000 while guys with a CDL are making $40,000-75,000. If the oil field isn't for you, other non-related businesses are seeing a boost as well. Heck, McDonalds had to rate their wages to help keep workers from quiting and joining the oilfield.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoz1967 View Post
Spoiler
My brother is relocating to Anna Tx, I live in Panama City Florida and am seriously thinking about moving over there, maybe to Mckinney. Is it a good place? I'm so sick of Florida, I moved here back in 1988 and it has gotten bad here, the jobs really suck, I make decent money but I have been stuck in this same job for 10 yrs and the mentality around here is 'you're lucky to have a job' now work your ass off, get bitched at all the time and threatened to lose your job if you don't bow down, any other jobs pay like 8-9 dollars start and no insurance that ya can afford at all, and the dam rent is too high everywhere here and roaches and flies etc, so sick of this dam place and want a new start. I'm 45 and want a new start for my wife and I so I'm really curious about Mckinney, been looking stuff up online about the place and going over there in July when I help my bro move into his new house in Anna to help him move in and we'll look around.
I'm in the home medical equipment business as a warehouse manager, any info would be great. Florida really sucks.
Work in Texas dot com < < < no spaces, no special characters excepting... you know... a dot

Bring cash.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 AM

Didn't see the Medical part. Midland is finishing up a brand new hospital. So there should be plenty of medical related jobs.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Looks like the wife is leaving for Anna Tx on the 18th of Jan, we are gonna give Tx a shot. I'll stay in Panama City Fl till between Mar--June and then I'll move over there. She's gonna find work and get us set up while I stay here at my job and keep money comin in. I'll look for a job in the medical home equipment buisness when I get over there, found around 16 companies between Anna,Mckinney to Dallas that I hope to find a job with. We are going to stay with my brother and his family in Anna till we can find a place we want to rent that will let us have our pets. Here in Panama City there are tons of mobile homes etc but I know it may be a bit more difficult in the Anna,Mckinney area to find what we can live with etc.It has to be a better living over there than compaired to the Panama City area and wages.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
You would only want to live or work in Midland for the money, beyond that it is a dreadful place. McKinney is much better and there are probably 10 times the number of hospitals and I35 is a huge transportation hub.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM

OK update---after long thought and my wife going to Texas (Dallas--Mckinney--Anna) to look for work and get a feel for the area while I stayed back here in Florida just in case, we have come to a conclusion. Texas is NOT for us. Although I would have liked to have gotten out of Florida I have come to a newer appreciation for it. The jobs are too few in Texas and are NOT paying much more than here in Florida, The traffic is god awful and you really can't get anywhere without being on an interstate, the rent for apartments is too high and you'd have to spend too much in gas just to get between home and work. Plus there are car inspections which we do not have in Florida. There are too few trees, no hills etc so the landsacpe sucks. Here in Florida we have tons of trees even though alot are pine trees it is still green here, tons of lakes,ponds,river,and the Gulf. The grocery stores are too expensive too. I'll stick with Florida for the time being and enjoy our slower pace of life and our trailor living and back roads, I've come to understand that I'm a proud redneck and not a cowboy on a dusty trail. Ya'll have a good day.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Work in Texas dot com < < < no spaces, no special characters excepting... you know... a dot

Bring cash.
Is this what you meant?

http://www.workintexas.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas