Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 04:51 AM

543 posts, read 703,613 times

Advertisements

As you all may know from my previous thread,I'm interested in relocating to the Laguna /Bayview area. Does anyone think this area can turn out resembling south florida?It's the only other place in the US with garanteed warm warm weather all year round.I've never been there so i don't know if there are a lot of dumpy areas that will turn off people who want to build high end homes and shopping areas.
Also, does Texas have an income tax or excise tax on vehicles or a sales tax? The property tax on the homes for sale in this area seem rather high,things like this can hold back development but maybe thats what the people want.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 09:57 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Texas does not have an income tax. Sorry, that's all I can answer for you.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
Neither does Florida.

Individual Income Tax Rates-2007 (http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/ind_inc.html - broken link)

Their property taxes are up there just like Texas.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM

56 posts, read 187,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvap View Post
As you all may know from my previous thread,I'm interested in relocating to the Laguna /Bayview area. Does anyone think this area can turn out resembling south florida?It's the only other place in the US with garanteed warm warm weather all year round.I've never been there so i don't know if there are a lot of dumpy areas that will turn off people who want to build high end homes and shopping areas.
Also, does Texas have an income tax or excise tax on vehicles or a sales tax? The property tax on the homes for sale in this area seem rather high,things like this can hold back development but maybe thats what the people want.

No, the RGV will never resemble South Florida, because you'll never see hundreds of thousands of people from up north with big money looking to move to an area that is 90% hispanic. Most people from outside the RGV consider it to be a huge culture shock when they come here, and aren't interested in becoming a minority. This is especially the case for the very rich. This is great for those of us who do choose to move here, like myself, because we don't want over-population, and we don't want the cost of housing to rise to rediculous levels as a result of rich people who come with tons of money, and bid up prices all around. That's what happened to South Florida, where I have lived.

Considering how cheap housing here is versus South Florida, I wouldn't even bother spending much time thinking about property tax rate differences.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 AM

5 posts, read 18,102 times
Default Relocating to Southern Texas?

We are looking at possible moving to the Southern or South Eastern part of Texas in a few years. We are down to earth middle class people from small town Iowa. I want to move somewhere warmer but be in an area with a lot of opportunities for job growth and good medical care. That being said, we are not afraid of diversity but it would take some getting used to. I have been relearning and brushing up on my Spanish as I have not used it much. My question is, what can anyone tell me about drastic culture change in how to prepare for it and what to expect? I do not want to live in an all white upper class, well to do community, but I want to to be accepted in a diverse community since we are white, english speaking people. I am more worried about being accepted as a minority than accepting of minorities. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,981,010 times
Personally, I wouldn't mind visiting South Florida and seeing the white sands. But for settling down, I'd rather be in Southeast Texas.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,385,807 times
yep you should be worried, because most likely you will not be accepted. you may, to a superficial extent, depending on the circumstances.
for instance, my coworkers were friendly to me at work (we were all health care professionals), but i noticed how i never was invited to socialize with them OUTSIDE of work.
i did not feel comfortable there at all. it was very difficult being a minority. i felt like i was in a foreign country, not my home state of Texas. i cant imagine the culture shock someone from small town Iowa would experience.
i think the only minorities there who seem to thrive are the elderly snowbirds, but that is because they all flock together in the RV communities, and have comraderie-i notice that they always had activities together-going shopping together in Mexico etc.
if you are caucasian, i would strongly encourage you to visit and spend a good amount of time in the area you wish to relocate to. a good gauge of community would be to spend a few hours walking around in Walmart. had i just done that ONE simple thing, i would have never sold my soul for all those big bucks down there.
personally, i recommend Central Texas for you...it's still a mild climate, esp compared to where you are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsafeadventures View Post
We are looking at possible moving to the Southern or South Eastern part of Texas in a few years. We are down to earth middle class people from small town Iowa. I want to move somewhere warmer but be in an area with a lot of opportunities for job growth and good medical care. That being said, we are not afraid of diversity but it would take some getting used to. I have been relearning and brushing up on my Spanish as I have not used it much. My question is, what can anyone tell me about drastic culture change in how to prepare for it and what to expect? I do not want to live in an all white upper class, well to do community, but I want to to be accepted in a diverse community since we are white, english speaking people. I am more worried about being accepted as a minority than accepting of minorities. Thanks for your input.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
Timely thread. I might have an interview in South Florida next month but have yet to line one up in Southeast Texas. So far, we are talking about dollars and cents. What about the people vibe, though?

I wound up looking at some Montgomery County properties on the MLS courtesy of HAR. (I love looking at MLS sites for pricing). I was surprised to find houses with property tax assessments in the 2.5 % range. On a $ 200,000 home, considering you don't pay income tax, that's pretty darn good.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:43 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,712,073 times
You have to remember bellstar was in the Rio Grande Valley, the furthest south/border area in the state. Also home to some of the worst poverty in the entire USA, barely ahead of parts of South Dakota, and has been that way for decades. You can't go there and expect San Diego!!! And by copying/pasting the same spiel about the valley over and over again - she obviously feels more comfortable being in the white Baptist (northern) part of the state, as it is her right. But she does not speak for most of S or SE Texas. If you can't find people to get along with & hang out down here (Houston/coastal area), you are socially retarded.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,385,807 times
nope i wasnt even THAT far south-i was in the Corpus Christi area...i could only imagine how much worse it would have been in the RGV which i visited several times while living down there.
yes i definitely feel more comfortable being in the white Baptist area of the state, even though i am not Baptist. i go to Cowboy Church (which is non-denominational, very down to earth laid back services)
i admit i cannot speak for the Southeastern part of Texas, i have not spent a significant amount of time in the Houston/Beaumont/Galveston areas...
p.s. didnt copy and paste my "spiel"...just speaking from the heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You have to remember bellstar was in the Rio Grande Valley, the furthest south/border area in the state. Also home to some of the worst poverty in the entire USA, barely ahead of parts of South Dakota, and has been that way for decades. You can't go there and expect San Diego!!! And by copying/pasting the same spiel about the valley over and over again - she obviously feels more comfortable being in the white Baptist (northern) part of the state, as it is her right. But she does not speak for most of S or SE Texas. If you can't find people to get along with & hang out down here (Houston/coastal area), you are socially retarded.

Last edited by NOTAM; 03-23-2008 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas