Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,617,867 times

Advertisements

Ok, I was wrong. Houston is a lovely place overflowing with nice people and everyone wants to live there. Nobody wants to move the suburbs any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 07:12 PM

7,904 posts, read 11,500,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Ok, I was wrong. Houston is a lovely place overflowing with nice people and everyone wants to live there. Nobody wants to move the suburbs any more.
People live all over driven by personal desires and job locations. Sure people like to live in the suburbs where schools can be better for a reasonable cost home. Those moving to Houston are doing so for jobs. Fla is a really pretty place, in part due to little manufacturing and focus on tourism. Nice pretty place if you already have money and dont need a good job or well located home you can afford with the pay from a job you can find.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 PM

285 posts, read 570,665 times
Quote:
Oh, come on. Houston is a decaying, overcrowded, smelly place, mostly filled with folks nobody wants to live next door to. The only bright thing there is the flare gases out along the ship channel.
Houston may be overcrowded and "smelly" to you, but it sure as hell isn't decaying. Whether or not you're put off by the city doesn't change the fact that it has the fastest growing economy in the country - few if any cities have a brighter future right now. Fortunately there are plenty of people who feel differently than you about Houston, who take pride in the city's prosperity despite a national downturn.

Quote:
Today, it has pockets of prosperity in an otherwise pretty dismal place. It has too many people, to few jobs which pay a living wage, too much crime, too much drugs and too little opportunity.
I disagree with that assessment, though I suppose it depends on your definition of "prosperity." Nonetheless an expansive underclass is endemic to all of the nation's cities and is the consequence of much greater forces than simply an influx of opportunistic northeasterners. Indeed your economic generalization could be apt for any city in this country particularly with respect to the low wages. That said, Houston, and Texas as a whole, offers more opportunity than most of the rest of the country - in part evidenced by the uptick in migration to Houston and Texas in the past several years. Things are much bleaker elsewhere.

Quote:
Houston is a perfect microcosm of the new Texas.
Like it or not, Houston IS the new Texas. More and more, Texas (and the rest of the country) is becoming defined by its cities. As goes Houston, Dallas, and Austin, so goes the rest of the state. These cities - and thus Texas - are on the forefront of the prevailing demographic and social transitions underway in this country. In all sincerity you will find that your beloved "good ol' days" mentality prevails just to the north, in a far less dynamic land called Oklahoma - at least for now. The rest of us wussies happy to embrace modern society can happily stay in "decaying" Texas.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 PM

659 posts, read 1,382,548 times
I had a nice coversation with a neurosurgeon fellow this weekend who moved from NYC and he loves living in Neartown Houston. He said he'll never go back. Houston is a perfect fit for him. Besides the decay you know. Read a book.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 23,020,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
This is possibly the most ignorant statement I have read on CD.
... that would be saying A LOT.

But you have to understand, the OP represents "old Texas". Regardless of what we say or what we show, there's nothing positive to him about it.

BTW stillkit, if you think Houston feels overcrowded, go to Boston, a city that would be ranked about 6th largest here in Texas, yet feels HUGE. Say what you will about Houston, I mean it is pretty crowded, but at least everyone's not stacked on top of everyone.

Well, at least not yet anyway....

Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,418,978 times
Quote:
Oh, come on. Houston is a decaying, overcrowded, smelly place, mostly filled with folks nobody wants to live next door to. The only bright thing there is the flare gases out along the ship channel.

Houston is a perfect microcosm of the new Texas. Before, it was a thriving metropolis, the hub of the oil business world wide and a pretty decent place to live, if you could stand the humidity. Then, beginning in the 1970's when the industrial belt began to rust, the city was overwhelmed by get rich quick outsiders seeking relief from the problems of the NE and Midwest. They poured in, driving up property values and driving down wages. Within a couple of decades, they'd abandoned Houston for Katy or The Woodlands, leaving behind the natives they'd displaced in the city core. Once, Houston had pockets of poverty in an otherwise pretty prosperous place. Today, it has pockets of prosperity in an otherwise pretty dismal place. It has too many people, to few jobs which pay a living wage, too much crime, too much drugs and too little opportunity.
So you don't like big cities. Don't ever live in one. Problem solved.

I'll keep my Houston, and you'll keep your Pflugerville, Johnson City, or wherever you stay at.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,418,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... that would be saying A LOT.

But you have to understand, the OP represents "old Texas". Regardless of what we say or what we show, there's nothing positive to him about it.

BTW stillkit, if you think Houston feels overcrowded, go to Boston, a city that would be ranked about 6th largest here in Texas, yet feels HUGE. Say what you will about Houston, I mean it is pretty crowded, but at least everyone's not stacked on top of everyone.

Well, at least not yet anyway....
I had to laugh when he/she said that the city of Houston is decaying lol. Southern cities are actually doing the exact opposite, compared to the Northeast and the Rust Belt.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM

13,015 posts, read 13,513,889 times
I think the good elements of our state's history far outweigh the bad elements and we are continuing to evolve because of it all.

Get over it, but NEVER forget, and move forward.

God Bless Texas!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:18 AM

118 posts, read 274,346 times
This thread reminds me of No Country For Old Men. Sheriff Bell laments the fact that West Texas has become so violent and he feels " overmatched" by the new criminals. But his uncle reminds that him that West Texas has always been violent and all that has really changed is Bell himself.

I am not saying that Texas hasn't changed any, it certainly has, but it is easy to view Texas through the nostalgia filter.

I mostly agree with those arguing that Texas is getting better.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,116,561 times
Lol@ that guy saying Houston is decaying. I chose Houston out of all the other cities when I came from LA. Originally from s tx but Houston is more prosperous and diverse than Austin, San Antonio and Dallas. Lots of opportunity and they continue to add more to do in downtown. I miss being out west but there's plenty to see and experience in houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas