Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,898,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Did you know that in 1960, the population of Texas was just over 9 million? That's nearly a 3 fold increase in just half a century! What used to be wide-open spaces is now filled with McMansions for our "beloved" immigrants from the Northeast and the Left Coast. Urban sprawl is covering the land, especially east of the Balcones. In that same year, Austin was a sleepy little burg of about 180,000 hardy souls. Now, it's approaching 800,000 and the urban area is over a million.
Yep.

Austin/Hill Country/Central Texas has been overrun with people. The infrastructure can't support the crazy growth, and traffic is a freaking nightmare.

I was shocked in just having been away from Austin for 5 years--go down for a visit, and not even recognize the place (Austin-Buda-Mountain City-Kyle-Wimberley).

It's why I love remote, isolated far West Texas. The question in my mind is whether I could live in that remoteness, as much as I love it. Not so many people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM

998 posts, read 1,327,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Growing up in urban, eastern Texas, I simply can't relate. I'm sorry for your loss, though.

The Texas I've known and loved, embraces all walks of life, and not just some romanticized image of the cowboy hero.

I agree 100%. I hope Texas continues to move away from that stereotypical image.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

795 posts, read 1,587,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
.... I don't think I wanna get into this one.
Yeah, me either. Just sounds like another form of snobbery and elitism to me.

Last edited by Two4damoney; 03-02-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM

795 posts, read 1,587,927 times
Quote:
Growing up in urban, eastern Texas, I simply can't relate. I'm sorry for your loss, though.

The Texas I've known and loved, embraces all walks of life, and not just some romanticized image of the cowboy hero.
Luckily the majority of Texans feel the same way you do. At least thats been my experience.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,866,180 times
Quote:
You know...the Texas which was unique, the Texas where Texan's were By Gawd Texan's in cowboy boots and hats; self-reliant, tough, unimpressed by false fronts, not the self-absorbed, whiney metro-sexuals in sneakers we have today.
The "old" Texas you claim to miss is still very much alive and well in many of the people who live here today. There are plenty people like myself here who are "self-reliant, tough, unimpressed by false fronts"... We haven't been outnumbered by the the "self-absorbed, whiney metro-sexuals in sneakers". We keep to ourselves, we respect the land and we take pride in the history of this state.

To me Texas is more about the people as it is about the hill country or any other beautiful area of this great state. I travel all over this country for business and there's no other place in this country that comes close to Texas when it comes to hospitality or helping your fellow man. When I say yes mam to the lady at the bank, she doesn't get offended. When I offer to open a door for a stranger they don't look at me like a crazy feminist that's just been insulted. When I stop to offer help to a complete stranger with Northern state license plates they still look at me like I'm from another planet.

When I hear people talk badly about Texans having way too much pride in their state I know what they really mean, I know that they've been here and are probably a little upset that they don't live in a place like this.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,866,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I agree 100%. I hope Texas continues to move away from that stereotypical image.
That "stereotypical image" is just one of the many that this state is known for, we openly embrace people from all walks of life.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,363,877 times
Quote:
Did you know that in 1960, the population of Texas was just over 9 million? That's nearly a 3 fold increase in just half a century! What used to be wide-open spaces is now filled with McMansions for our "beloved" immigrants from the Northeast and the Left Coast. Urban sprawl is covering the land, especially east of the Balcones. In that same year, Austin was a sleepy little burg of about 180,000 hardy souls. Now, it's approaching 800,000 and the urban area is over a million.
Yeah, and in 1960, like other southern states, Texas was also a haven for racial oppression and discord. The good ol' days indeed.

"I miss the olden times" is a statement that only one group of Texans can proudly proclaim. As far as I'm concerned, this state is definitely changing for the better.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Yeah, me either. Just sounds like another form of snobbery and elitism to me.
It's just... things change.

And it's like some people just don't really get that. But this happens with every generation. While the OP sees Texas more as the "Grit and tough cowboy" image, I see it more as the fast growing, inovating, energy driven image.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,557,518 times
Quote:
Yeah, and in 1960, like other southern states, Texas was also a haven for racial oppression and discord. The good ol' days indeed.

"I miss the olden times" is a statement that only one group of Texans can proudly proclaim. As far as I'm concerned, this state is definitely changing for the better.
Please don't twist my intent. I remember "colored" drinking fountains, duel ticket booths at the theater and all that other stuff too and I wouldn't go back to those days if you paid me to.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,557,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's just... things change.

And it's like some people just don't really get that. But this happens with every generation. While the OP sees Texas more as the "Grit and tough cowboy" image, I see it more as the fast growing, inovating, energy driven image.
Yes, things change and nothing stays the same. But, progress isn't always progress. Sometimes, the trade off of things lost for things gained isn't equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas