Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM

170 posts, read 326,284 times

Advertisements

Ok, so here's my dilemma (a good one). I have received 2 job offers: one in Houston and another in Dallas-Ft.Worth. Is there anyone with experience living in either? Or both? This is a dilemma for me because they seem similar and have the same big positives. Am I wrong? I am considering Houston at this point, but could easily change my mind. I like that they both have affordable cost of living, great shopping, great options for food, and things to see and do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
They are both Similar.

Dallas's amenities are just more spread out among the cities in the metro, while Houston is more centralized.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,269,868 times
Depending on where you are coming from, as sunbelt cities, they may seem inter-changeable to you. Dallas and Houston are both BIG sprawling, high-energy cities. Dallas has somewhat better pubic transport but Houston is building more rail now. In either case, it would be a challenge for most people to live in Dallas or Houston without a car. Neither city has particularly vibrant DTs but you'll find their entrainment concentrated in a number of "nodes" scattered around the metros.

As two of the top 10 cities and metros in the US, they each have the critical mass to support world class culture including museums and performing arts. That said, between the two big cites, I give Houston the edge here because its cultural offerings are usually considered somewhat better on national ratings.

Do you want lakes or salt water? Dallas has better lakes and Houston has access to the gulf and Galveston Bay (the brown water and Galveston beaches will disappoint you if you are used to east coast, west coast or many Great Lakes beaches, but it's there.) Dallas is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than Houston, but less humid all year around. Houston has the edge in diversity. As the center of the oil industry, I was always amazed at the number of different languages I heard in the restaurants and entertainment venues in Houston.

Houston has better restaurants and Dallas has better hotels. In terms of shopping, I'd rate Dallas over Houston. Houston has elected a lesbian as mayor but the city of Dallas is more liberal than people outside Texas realize. Some Houstonians consider Dallas "snooty" and some Dallasites consider Houston as dirty and more working class.

Those are some of my takes on how the two cities compare.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM

38 posts, read 76,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
They are both Similar.

Dallas's amenities are just more spread out among the cities in the metro, while Houston is more centralized.
You're kidding, right? Exactly what, if anything, is centralized in Houston?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Top restaurants are concentrated in Montrose, along Kirby, Washington with some still in the Galleria area. Musesum are concentrated near Hermann Park. Arts north end of downtown. Shopping from Galleria to Kirby. Sports stadiums along Main Street. Universities mostly within 4 miles of downtown (Houston, TSU, ST. Thomas, UHDC, Rice, HCC Central). Heavy concentration of medical facilities in the Texas Medical Center. Big employment districts downtown, Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza and Galleria area (there's no Las Colinas or downtown Ft. Worth even if there is the Energy Corridor and Greenspoint).

Old 02-16-2012, 03:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Depending on where you are coming from, as sunbelt cities, they may seem inter-changeable to you. Dallas and Houston are both BIG sprawling, high-energy cities. Dallas has somewhat better pubic transport but Houston is building more rail now. In either case, it would be a challenge for most people to live in Dallas or Houston without a car. Neither city has particularly vibrant DTs but you'll find their entrainment concentrated in a number of "nodes" scattered around the metros.

As two of the top 10 cities and metros in the US, they each have the critical mass to support world class culture including museums and performing arts. That said, between the two big cites, I give Houston the edge here because its cultural offerings are usually considered somewhat better on national ratings.

Do you want lakes or salt water? Dallas has better lakes and Houston has access to the gulf and Galveston Bay (the brown water and Galveston beaches will disappoint you if you are used to east coast, west coast or many Great Lakes beaches, but it's there.) Dallas is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than Houston, but less humid all year around. Houston has the edge in diversity. As the center of the oil industry, I was always amazed at the number of different languages I heard in the restaurants and entertainment venues in Houston.

Houston has better restaurants and Dallas has better hotels. In terms of shopping, I'd rate Dallas over Houston. Houston has elected a lesbian as mayor but the city of Dallas is more liberal than people outside Texas realize. Some Houstonians consider Dallas "snooty" and some Dallasites consider Houston as dirty and more working class.

^^^This. They are way more similar than different especially to an outsider. The character of the cities are slightly different. In my opinion Houston is more cultural and Dallas is more party oriented. Houston is more laid back and Dallas is more fashionable.

Its worth a look at both. Also remember, Fort Worth is an amazing city as well. If you job is between the two cities or in Fort Worth, Fort Worth has a very charming and walkable downtown and the friendliest people in Texas. Its also a very cultural city with a great ballet and a large museum district. However, you wont get the huge city vibe that Houston and Dallas have.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,011,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Ok, so here's my dilemma (a good one). I have received 2 job offers: one in Houston and another in Dallas-Ft.Worth. Is there anyone with experience living in either? Or both? This is a dilemma for me because they seem similar and have the same big positives. Am I wrong? I am considering Houston at this point, but could easily change my mind. I like that they both have affordable cost of living, great shopping, great options for food, and things to see and do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Do you prefer coastal living (Houston) or being land locked (Dallas) hundreds of miles away from a large body of water?

I myself prefer Houston's semi-tropical environment & closeness to the coast. Lakes & dried up creek beds don't cut it for me, sorry. It also beats Dallas in diversity.

That being said, both offer excellent job opportunities & low costs of living compared to other large cities. I could live in either (which I have lived in both) & find ways to be happy.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,976,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwavies View Post
You're kidding, right? Exactly what, if anything, is centralized in Houston?
everything.

And please stick to giving advice instead of creating another war.

The Smackdown thread is hot right now go there if you want to continue a war

Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM

7,892 posts, read 11,422,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
..... In terms of shopping, I'd rate Dallas over Houston. Houston has elected a lesbian as mayor but the city of Dallas is more liberal than people outside Texas realize. Some Houstonians consider Dallas "snooty" and some Dallasites consider Houston as dirty and more working class.

I agree with your post but note ..

Travel And Leisure just released a tops in the world list they do annually and for high end shopping Houston ranked number 5 in the world, Dallas wasnt ranked (only top 5 were listed). This is different from general shopping I agree but those who see Houston as a blue collar town inferior to Dallas are missing the full picture.

Dallas has more enteprenuers who have made a fortune and more billionaires than Houston I believe. Houston has more upper middle class, high net worth individuals as a result of the high paying oil related jobs in Houston that out number Dallas around 15-20 to 1. These are white collar global energy jobs in Houston not blue collar ones.. they also are global which is where the larger number of consultates in Houston arise from as well as the large number of flights to energy related markets globally. Dallas's and DFW's energy business is North American Geography and land based. Houston's is deep water as well as much more global.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:09 PM

61 posts, read 141,430 times
The only thing I find better in Houston is Chinatown (and my job). I'd like to get back to DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas