Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:22 AM

674 posts, read 1,539,391 times

Advertisements

I've already done a thread on the best small town in Texas but what in your opinion is the worst small town in Texas and feel free to explain why? For me it was Lumberton which is north of Beaumont. Me and my family stopped there to eat, a few years ago, on our way home to Texarkana. Anyway the people there weren't very friendly and stared at us making us feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome. I didn't know if their reaction was because we were black or not. I've never experienced anything like that anywhere. Weird. I know everyone there wouldn't have the same reaction but the people we did encounter made us not want to stop there again.

Last edited by Darbro; 02-13-2012 at 01:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
Although it's a pretty little town with lots of good folks, I'd have to say Athens, primarily due to the extremely crooked politicians and business leaders who run things there. And when you look at the huge amount of trailer trash around the outskirts of town and meth cookers, it really does get my vote.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM

393 posts, read 1,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Although it's a pretty little town with lots of good folks, I'd have to say Athens, primarily due to the extremely crooked politicians and business leaders who run things there. And when you look at the huge amount of trailer trash around the outskirts of town and meth cookers, it really does get my vote.
The last I heard (a decade ago), meth was a big and growing problem all over East Texas. Lots of town and country homes blowing sky-high from meth operations gone bad; I think Marshall had a few.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I've already done a thread on the best small town in Texas but what in your opinion is the worst small town in Texas and feel free to explain why? For me it was Lumberton which is north of Beaumont. Me and my family stopped there to eat, a few years ago, on our way home to Texarkana. Anyway the people there weren't very friendly and stared at us making us feel very uncomfortable and unwelcome. I didn't know if their reaction was because we were black or not. I've never experienced anything like that anywhere. Weird. I know everyone there wouldn't have the same reaction but the people we did encounter made us not want to stop there again.
That's small town behavior in general.

I remember when we stopped in a small town on our way from Waco to Houston [we were all black too] and everyone stared us down. Staring is a huge pet peeve of mines so I always acknowledge those who stare with a big smile and wave. They always give me that "WTF?!" look and quit looking.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
The last I heard (a decade ago), meth was a big and growing problem all over East Texas. Lots of town and country homes blowing sky-high from meth operations gone bad; I think Marshall had a few.
For 10 years I owned some land just outside of Athens. Cronyism took my property rights away, meth cookers used my woods for making their product, and then stole everything I had. The local sheriff's office knew about it and did nothing.

In the middle of my fight with local authorities, I was warned by a retired judge out of Tyler about how politics were controlled by a select few in Athens. Basically to make themselves and their friends rich, no matter what the laws say. Apparently it even includes local judges.

I was glad to get out of there.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 PM

816 posts, read 1,948,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
For 10 years I owned some land just outside of Athens. Cronyism took my property rights away, meth cookers used my woods for making their product, and then stole everything I had. The local sheriff's office knew about it and did nothing.

In the middle of my fight with local authorities, I was warned by a retired judge out of Tyler about how politics were controlled by a select few in Athens. Basically to make themselves and their friends rich, no matter what the laws say. Apparently it even includes local judges.

I was glad to get out of there.
Wow, that is pretty awful.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
I've already done a thread on the best small town in Texas but what in your opinion is the worst small town in Texas and feel free to explain why?
You sure set up folks who have something bad to say about some small Texas town. There is one on the south plains that I would mention but I won't simply because most of these small towns who exhibit bad characteristics are much better at being their own enemy than they were at making me one.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That's small town behavior in general.

I remember when we stopped in a small town on our way from Waco to Houston [we were all black too] and everyone stared us down. Staring is a huge pet peeve of mines so I always acknowledge those who stare with a big smile and wave. They always give me that "WTF?!" look and quit looking.
That's an interesting way of dealing with that situation. I'm gonna have to remember to do that the next time someone decides to just stare.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You sure set up folks who have something bad to say about some small Texas town. There is one on the south plains that I would mention but I won't simply because most of these small towns who exhibit bad characteristics are much better at being their own enemy than they were at making me one.
Other than that experience in Lumberton I don't have any issues with small Texas towns except for some small town city governments that are corrupt.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
Muldoon.

Seriously, it has a small post office and a liquor store. That's not the bad part, that's actually the good part.

There is a pack of trouble living there, but I only say this from years of trying to get drunken cousins not to drive through there on weekend jaunts. Maybe they were the pack of trouble....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas