Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,674 times

Advertisements

robstown tx does suck, i been here for 3 years bored 2 death miss san. antonio tx my born n raised city **** this place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,473,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
I'm sure I'll get alot of flack for this, but I would argue that pretty much all East Texas small towns are like this in some way.
I can't speak for "Deep Southeast Texas" but I can for northeast Texas small towns.

I love 'em, and there's a level of sophistication and gentility in many of them that might surprise you.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Marshall and, to a lesser extent, Longview are depressed areas, too. That's part of the reason that more Longview natives live in Dallas than in Longview. I spent 5 horrible years in Longview, made horrible largely because I could barely find employment. My AAS in Laser Electro-Optic Technology was, apparently, worthless to everyone out there. I did work in the IS Department of the hospital for a while, earning $6/hour. I moved to Longview to attend LeTourneau University, but then I found I could not support myself. It took me years to escape.

People in East Texas are odd. They have ape-like men with bad attitudes and the region has generally low literacy rates. Many of the people talk with a slow, lilting intonation. Many of the people won't make a right turn on red, even though they know it is legal and no traffic is coming. Even more make a turn by allowing their vehicle to coast almost to a stop, then they apply their brakes and maybe use their turn signal as they make a 90° angle turn.
This is so inaccurate. I am not a Texas native, but I moved to northeast Texas twenty years ago - and surprise! I ended up staying, even though it was much more rural than the area I moved from (on the east coast).

I personally don't care much for southeast Texas (don't care for Houston or it's spawn). But overall, I have found the people of East Texas to be friendly, helpful, industrious and hard workers, resourceful, and extremely polite and thoughtful. Don't confuse the lilting southern drawl for a slowness of mind or spirit. East Texans are some of the hardest workers I've ever been around.

Any small town anywhere in the US is going to seem more "backwards" than larger cities. But keep in mind, not everyone is trying to get OUT of those towns to get to the "big city lights." Some of us move FROM congested areas to these smaller towns and hamlets - and breathe in a deep sigh of relief along with that fresh, country air.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooua View Post
Is it growing? When I lived there, a decade ago, the news articles said it was struggling. I saw "For Sale" signs in front of houses all over town. According to Wikipedia, Longview has actually seen slight growth over the last decade:

2010: 80,455
2000: 73,344

However, I think that depression is more of an economic term than a demographic term. Again, Wikipedia provides the answer that Longview's median household income was $33,858 in 2000. For a family, it was $42,378, and per capita, it was $156,768. Yeah, I'm looking at that last number like it's a little out of place...

Longview, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here's some info about Longview:

Longview ranked #9 in the 2011 Milken Institute's Best-Performing Cities Index on the smallest metro list. Ranking is based on how well the metro is creating and sustaining jobs and economic growth.
Longview's cost of living is below the national average.
Longview's unemployment rate is consistently lower than the state and the nation. December 2011 Longview's unemployment rate was 5.9%, the State's 7.2% and the Nation's 8.3%.
Community Profile | LEDCO
More interesting info about Longview's profile at that site as well.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM

355 posts, read 1,118,327 times
Default No love for EP on these boards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
I've lived in various parts of Texas since 1957 and I have a few "not good" places to live or visit:
Andrews and Lamesa in west Texas, Port Lavaca on the coast, Denison on the Ok border, Henderson in east Texas just to name a few. Although El Paso isn't small, it's not safe, especially on the freeways close to the Mexican border (bandits with guns have been known to stop traffic at night). In regards to a couple of comments at being stared at while eating in a small town... doesn't matter what color you are... if you are a stranger, they stare at you... doesn't matter what part of the state.
Sources please?? I've never heard of any such incidents in the 10+ years that I've lived here. Funny how people who don't live in El Paso call it "unsafe" and "dangerous".

Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,651,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSPECELP View Post
Sources please?? I've never heard of any such incidents in the 10+ years that I've lived here. Funny how people who don't live in El Paso call it "unsafe" and "dangerous".

Sometimes personal experiences, watching the news, reading the newspapers, etc. count and people don't always get their info from a specific "source". But since you are demanding a "source", here is one (of several I found) which wasn't hard to find at all:

In brief: West Side robberies just 13 minutes apart - El Paso Times

Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,676,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Sometimes personal experiences, watching the news, reading the newspapers, etc. count and people don't always get their info from a specific "source". But since you are demanding a "source", here is one (of several I found) which wasn't hard to find at all:

In brief: West Side robberies just 13 minutes apart - El Paso Times

Big deal...in San Antonio our west side gets them 6 minutes apart

Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
Athens is the most corrupt city in Texas.

Pecos is probably the dirtiest and most run down city.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:11 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,871,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitherines View Post

Pecos is probably the dirtiest and most run down city.
Great first post!!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:36 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,651,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitherines View Post

I can testify to that fact for sure. A good ol' boy town run by crooks. The local water authority is the worst the state has to offer; they should all be in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas