Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times

Advertisements

University of Dallas is an excellent small, private university.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM

4 posts, read 4,939 times
My list

1. Rice
2. UT-Austin
3. TX A&M-College Station
4. Southern Methodist University - DFW holds this school very highly
5. University of Houston - Pretty good school for Houston-area
6. Baylor University - Admissions are pretty easy, program doesn't work students very hard. It's good in pre-med but that's about it. Being pretty generous to even give it #6
7. UT-Dallas - Up and coming school, at the time I was applying for schools hadn't heard much of it but seems to be a successful place.
8. Trinity University - Good liberal arts school
9. Texas Tech - All my friends who graduated here are either unemployed or underemployed. I think it's what you make of it. The opportunities are there but everybody knows it plays second fiddle to UT & A&M
10. Texas Christian University - Pretty OK school.
11. St. Mary's University - (My alma mater) I got into every school I applied to but went here for the financial aid. It turned out to be a great choice, the small atmosphere gave very good professor to student interaction. It's uncommon for such a small school to have an engineering school. It's pretty underrated but everybody I know graduated from here is gainfully employed or working on a PhD at some good schools.
12. UT-Arlington - I've heard good stories and bad stories; mostly that some professors or admins are unhelpful but kind of like a mystery box.
13. University of North Texas - Very average college experience
14. Texas State University - Party school. Very easy to get into, graduate in top half of high school class and you're pretty much guaranteed. Students mostly enjoy the laid back atmosphere of going to class then hitting the river.
15. UT-San Antonio - Pretty much will take anyone. Facilities are pretty good here. Living accomodations not so much.
16. Stephen F Austin
17. Sam Houston State - this was always kind of threatened to me by my parents if I didn't study hard.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM

254 posts, read 401,539 times
Pretty shocked by how little respect TCU seems to be getting on this thread. There are a lot of people on here who seem to know very little about or who've had very limited (or dated) interaction with that university. If it's not in the top five of your list, you're working with the wrong list.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Glad this thread is still alive...used to live in TX and now considering returning for law school. Rankings are so subjective, but I think it's better to consider schools on different tiers as opposed to individualized 1, 2, 3, etc. Here's how I would break it down:

Tier 1: UT-Austin, Rice
Tier 2: A&M, SMU, Trinity, Baylor
Tier 3: Tech, UH, UT-Dallas, TCU
Tier 4: The others

Like I said, this is subjective. My breakdown is based on my perception of a school's prestige, personal biases, etc. Of course, depending on your personal goals, price, and individual programs, you may be better off at UTSA than Trinity, UH than Rice, or UT-Dallas than SMU.
This doesn't include every school but I would say this is pretty accurate too

Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomtomb View Post
This doesn't include every school but I would say this is pretty accurate too
Again, there's no way that TCU would/should be considered "a Tier 3" university. Really interested to hear what people are basing this view on.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFW View Post
Again, there's no way that TCU would/should be considered "a Tier 3" university. Really interested to hear what people are basing this view on.
TCU is a very good school. Its kinda overpriced.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Its kinda overpriced.
You could probably say they about any private university.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:13 PM

227 posts, read 385,947 times
Tech and Houston are now tier 1 schools. Baylor is overrated. Education is no different to Tech or Houston in the professional schools but the price is much higher. Baylor probably has better liberal arts but given those programs are dying everywhere, that's not saying much.

UT Dallas is a commuter school with no true college experience. Trinity is great for liberal arts but like Baylor, a bad investment these days.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:56 PM

693 posts, read 1,108,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
Tech and Houston are now tier 1 schools. Baylor is overrated. Education is no different to Tech or Houston in the professional schools but the price is much higher. Baylor probably has better liberal arts but given those programs are dying everywhere, that's not saying much.

UT Dallas is a commuter school with no true college experience. Trinity is great for liberal arts but like Baylor, a bad investment these days.
Rice, Texas and A&M are the ONLY members of the prestigious Association of American Universities in the state. It is universally acknowledged AAU schools are the only truly "Tier 1" out there. The possible exception might be a school like the University of Nebraska. NU lost their AAU status in the last decade or so. I'd rather go to NU or send my kids to NU than any of the other schools in Texas.

The misleading Tier 1 status that UH has is PURELY for “very high research activity.” This Tier 1 baloney that UH throws around does not have anything to do with the rest of a school's academic prowess. It is nothing more than a marketing ploy.

"Tier 1" does not tell the full tale and serves to trick people into thinking that UH academics have miraculously improved across the board.

In reality, if you aren't going to Rice, Texas or A&M, the majority of college-bound folks should probably go out of state to schools better than the rest of Texas universities.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
^^^ True the Tier 1 status is often misleading. And yes there is a big gap between UH and the big 3. But if you stop and take off your burnt orange or maroon sunglasses, you would see that gap is slowly closing. A lot of change is happening at UH right now. Besides, Tech is not a bad school either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas