Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 05:09 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
John Stewart mentioned Rice University in an episode of the Daily Show last week and ribbed on the school a bit, I believe by saying something like what a strange name for a school or something. Point is, I grew up thinking Rice was the be all, end all. I, like a lot of other Texans grew up believing it was an Ivy League school or just as good as Harvard. The hype around Rice is HUGE in Texas. To some extent, I can see why. It's a small school shrouded in mystery, fenced in by large gates and a hedge. It's not an open campus to just go walking around on like Harvard where tourists and townsfolk go all the time.

But after leaving Texas do you realize how little people know of Rice unless you're really in the know. The most I've ever gotten from people was, "yeah, good school".

Of course Rice still is a top school, no doubt, and you can land a sweet gig after graduating but I don't see quite like I used to after leaving Texas, or Houston for that matter. I see like I see Harvey Mudd College here in Los Angeles, a great, small nerdy school that will get you a prime job in the state.

Any thoughts from people that thought the same? (or am I gonna get a sarcastic quip about how wrong I really am).
Your post got me to do a little digging online to look into what makes Rice so special and they actually have a pretty incredible history. It also looks like their research is pretty important around the world. It's easy to dump on Rice for being just another small private university but from someone who went to a different small private university also in Houston for my master's degree I can tell you that the university I went to doesn't even come close to what Rice has to offer their students. All universities are not created equally and Rice rises above the rest of the schools in Texas for a reason. Not just because some list says so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 07:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Your post got me to do a little digging online to look into what makes Rice so special and they actually have a pretty incredible history. It also looks like their research is pretty important around the world. It's easy to dump on Rice for being just another small private university but from someone who went to a different small private university also in Houston for my master's degree I can tell you that the university I went to doesn't even come close to what Rice has to offer their students. All universities are not created equally and Rice rises above the rest of the schools in Texas for a reason. Not just because some list says so.
Rice doesn't factor into the general public because its super elite in that way. Ever go into the Baker Institute? Its a top notch public policy think tank. To go to Rice is to write your ticket into the Texas elite, no doubt.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:39 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:

Not too many Rice students though go on to do really big things like the grads of other top schools. I am surprised there are hardly any Presidents, Governors, big tycoons, tech giants, or even Hollywood stars. Astronauts, yes. Alberto Gonzalez, check.

UT Austin seems to have more adventurous grads.
Oh yeah, that does seem weird being that they are the same size and graduate the same numbers....oh wait nevermind. I guess it is expected and not surprising at all.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 PM

7 posts, read 7,464 times
The Top 10 Colleges in Texas – Best Ranked Schools in the Lone Star State | USA TODAY College

Rice and Trinity come out on top

Old 10-24-2014, 05:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
John Stewart mentioned Rice University in an episode of the Daily Show last week and ribbed on the school a bit, I believe by saying something like what a strange name for a school or something. Point is, I grew up thinking Rice was the be all, end all. I, like a lot of other Texans grew up believing it was an Ivy League school or just as good as Harvard. The hype around Rice is HUGE in Texas. To some extent, I can see why. It's a small school shrouded in mystery, fenced in by large gates and a hedge. It's not an open campus to just go walking around on like Harvard where tourists and townsfolk go all the time.

But after leaving Texas do you realize how little people know of Rice unless you're really in the know. The most I've ever gotten from people was, "yeah, good school".

Of course Rice still is a top school, no doubt, and you can land a sweet gig after graduating but I don't see quite like I used to after leaving Texas, or Houston for that matter. I see like I see Harvey Mudd College here in Los Angeles, a great, small nerdy school that will get you a prime job in the state.

Any thoughts from people that thought the same? (or am I gonna get a sarcastic quip about how wrong I really am).
Rice is better than you think it is; the masses are simply not equipped to perceive the differences that matter in academia.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:

Personally, if i had a son/daughter, i would recommend Texas A&M despite being a UT grad myself. The alumni are a very close knit group and i've seen many managers(A&M grads) at the big oil/gas companies hire alot of A&M grads. UT and A&M grads probably have a better chance of getting a job out of state than a Rice grad. Outsiders know more about those schools than Rice...then again it will come down to your qualifications, interviews, personality, etc.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex1 View Post
Lmao, where did they get those rankings?

I didn't realize this was up for debate.. I thought it was pretty much always

Rice
UT
Baylor/smu/a&m
Tcu
Ect..

Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Lmao, where did they get those rankings?

I didn't realize this was up for debate.. I thought it was pretty much always

Rice
UT
Baylor/smu/a&m
Tcu
Ect..
Lol yup no way SMU is better than UT although I hear they have a beautiful campus.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:08 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
SMU is better than TCU also. Its more like

Rice
UT Austin
TAMU
Texas Tech
SMU
UH
UTD
TCU
UTSA
UTPB
Texas State University
Ect.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:04 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
SMU is better than TCU also. Its more like

Rice
UT Austin
TAMU
Texas Tech
SMU
UH
UTD
TCU
UTSA
UTPB
Texas State University
Ect.

Err, what? Texas tech ranked above smu? Where's Baylor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas