Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,505,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
SMU is better than TCU also. Its more like

Rice
UT Austin
TAMU
Baylor
Texas Tech
SMU
UH
UTD
TCU
UTSA
UTPB
Texas State University
Ect.
...ok....I did forget Baylor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,590,529 times
Quote:
...ok....I did forget Baylor.
Is Texas tech even in the top 100? How are they higher than smu?? Smu, Baylor, and a&m are all ranked almost the same.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,505,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Is Texas tech even in the top 100? How are they higher than smu?? Smu, Baylor, and a&m are all ranked almost the same.
This was MY preception....

Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,590,529 times
Quote:
This was MY preception....
Ahh.. YOUR perception

Old 10-27-2014, 11:46 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,556,449 times
The list is simplistic by someone who only comprehends the service but wants to start a thread anyway.

It depends on what a person wants to Study. Sam Houston State is only average but if you are studying Criminal Justice its by far #1 in the state and region.

UNT is great in Music and Public Administration.

In general Texas and Rice are good schools but they are not on the same level as Cal , Michigan or Virginia.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,084,467 times
I agree. Rice is touted as any Ivy in the state but outside of it, it's just seen as a good school. Its proly no different than going to Vandy or Emory. UT Austin is on par with Florida and Oregon, maybe UW-Seattle.

People and employers recognize schools like Cal Berekely, Michigan and Stanford as being way better.

But that's neither here nor there, in the end it matters more what you majored in and actually did in school.

The only reason why Ivy leaguers make any money with a liberal arts degree is because they go into banking or consulting, where they don't care what you majored in as long as you went to an Ivy and had a high GPA. Other times it's bog or government where they work with kids who graduated from a local state school.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,957,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I agree. Rice is touted as any Ivy in the state but outside of it, it's just seen as a good school. Its proly no different than going to Vandy or Emory.
True. If anything, Vandy carries more national prestige.

Quote:
UT Austin is on par with Florida and Oregon, maybe UW-Seattle.
Uh, no. Just no.

UT is right up there with UW-Madison, UNC-Chapel Hill, UVa, and the like. Among that group, the specific ranking will depend on the major. As a whole, UT is definitely above Oregon, Florida, etc.

Quote:
People and employers recognize schools like Cal Berekely, Michigan and Stanford as being way better.
Stanford and Berkeley? Not big news there. I'd argue UT is in the same ballpark as Michigan. Maybe UMich is slightly better, but not way better.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM

On what planet is UT-Austin in the same ball park with Michigan? UNC and UVA are way above UT Austin.

Are you a UT grad? Because UVA is a top school, an Ivy caliber school with a prestigious alumni base that includes two Kennedys. Its history alone surpasses that of UT and alumni of the school have reciprocal membership into the Yale Club of NYC. Only one Texas school has that privilege of being a part of an Ivy club; Rice, with the Princeton Club.

So no UT is not on par with UVA or UNC or Michigan.

I'll give you UW Madison and I still think its on evenly paired with UW-Seattle. But man, you're over reaching and acting as though UT Austin is that prestigious. Berkeley is the premier state university and UT is no where near it.

Heck, UCLA >>>UT Austin. Any day, any week.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:59 AM

766 posts, read 1,263,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
On what planet is UT-Austin in the same ball park with Michigan? UNC and UVA are way above UT Austin.

Are you a UT grad? Because UVA is a top school, an Ivy caliber school with a prestigious alumni base that includes two Kennedys. Its history alone surpasses that of UT and alumni of the school have reciprocal membership into the Yale Club of NYC. Only one Texas school has that privilege of being a part of an Ivy club; Rice, with the Princeton Club.

So no UT is not on par with UVA or UNC or Michigan.

I'll give you UW Madison and I still think its on evenly paired with UW-Seattle. But man, you're over reaching and acting as though UT Austin is that prestigious. Berkeley is the premier state university and UT is no where near it.

Heck, UCLA >>>UT Austin. Any day, any week.
Agreed on the UVA and Michigan rebuttals. UT is not anywhere near as strong as those schools but it's actually a very strong school in many fields. UT Law for example outranks UCLA, UNC, and UW Madison. UT business and UT engineering are also very strong programs outranking even some ivy league schools. Rice is overrated. The only thing that it has to offer is a strong undergrad program but as an overall university, UT takes dumps on it.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:24 AM

UT >>Rice, of course. Rice is just seen as prestigious because it's highly selective and its private. But it's really just a glorified liberal arts school. Its on par with Emory in Atlanta. I'm sure people in Georgia overstate Emory's prestige too.

I was going to mention that UT Law is highly rated and just a notch below UVA and Michigan law which are tops. So yes in that field UT is the best. Business and engineering too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas