Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,391,839 times

Advertisements

i MAY add Lamesa to the trip, for another interview.

so, though i am sure i will have my answer for myself after next week, which place would YALL choose?

Lampasas/Ft Hood area
Amarillo area (small towns outside e.g. Canyon, Claude, Groom, Panhandle)
Colorado City
Lamesa

give me your vote and why?
(i am willing to bet that Amarillo will come tops on my list with a close tie of Colorado City, with Lamesa at the very bottom)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 12:33 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,230,922 times
I really can't give you my opinion because I'm not familiar with any of those areas except for driving through Amarillo a time or two and Lampasas as well. I would probably choose Lampasas even though I don't care much for the Fort Hood area.

I work for a school district, and we just hired a teacher who had lived in Lamesa all his life. He said it was very barren and unattractive and the terrain in Central Texas is so much nicer. Of course, I was taken aback as I don't feel this part of Texas is all that great but obviously, it is nicer than Lamesa if you're looking for pretty. I'm always looking for that!!

According to City Data, there are more Hispanics there than Whites and I know how you have often spoken of that in south Texas with your blonde hair and blue eyes.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,724,564 times
Well, I have never been to any of those areas, Belle. But, my guess is that Amarillo area is the most stereotypical Texas city of them all --ten gallon hats and boots and heavy belt buckles. When Hollywood wants to shoot Texas movies, they do them in the Amarillo area cause you got those canyons and lonely windmills out there. But you can get them in West Texas too.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:43 PM

KewGee.......yep i think i will have to drop Lamesa out of the running.......
TexasNick.....i think you may be right....i think Amarillo might just win...

Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 14,189 times
Belle

I'm a native Texan, and pretty much been to all corners of Texas. Fort Hood is not too far from Austin, which is beautiful country, hill country and green with trees. Extreme West Texas is burnt dessert, South Texas is border, flat, and few trees, Gulf Coast is flat, some trees esp inland some distance. North Texas is green rolling hills, ranch and horse country, East Texas is tall trees, lakes and rolling hills in some areas...Central Texas, pretty much rolling hills, green grass and trees, although not as tall as East Texas. If you are looking for a job as an RN with the military, there is a major military hospital in San Antonio. A short distance North of San Antonio is a little community named Wimberly that is beautiful...wouldn't be a bad drive into San Antonio. North of San Antonio and North San Antonio is a nice area. South San Antonio can be kind of rough. Good Luck

Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 PM

63 posts, read 328,177 times
Bellestar - Sending good luck wishes on your interviews! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Amarillo, and the areas outside of Amarillo (Canyon etc) as this area is on my short list to check out for possible relocation.
Safe travels!
TNGal

Old 08-25-2007, 09:56 PM

yes i am very familiar with all the parts of Texas, though have only lived in North and South Texas. and i worked for the army for the past 3 years, so i know where all the military installations are. i am aware of Wilford Hall Medical Center Lackland AFB and Brooke Army Medical Center, but have chosen to look at Darnall Army in Ft Hood instead because I have simply had enough of South Texas, and San Antonio is just too much like what I have down here. the only good thing about San Antonio for me, is this is where i board my dogs (at a doggy dude ranch)...they are staying there next week while I take my long road trip through Hill Country/West Texas/Panhandle to decide where I will hang my hat. will keep yall updated, and will take pics with my new camera which i bought just for this trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txlady615 View Post
Belle

I'm a native Texan, and pretty much been to all corners of Texas. Fort Hood is not too far from Austin, which is beautiful country, hill country and green with trees. Extreme West Texas is burnt dessert, South Texas is border, flat, and few trees, Gulf Coast is flat, some trees esp inland some distance. North Texas is green rolling hills, ranch and horse country, East Texas is tall trees, lakes and rolling hills in some areas...Central Texas, pretty much rolling hills, green grass and trees, although not as tall as East Texas. If you are looking for a job as an RN with the military, there is a major military hospital in San Antonio. A short distance North of San Antonio is a little community named Wimberly that is beautiful...wouldn't be a bad drive into San Antonio. North of San Antonio and North San Antonio is a nice area. South San Antonio can be kind of rough. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas