Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 09:57 AM

6 posts, read 5,350 times

Advertisements

Hey Ya'll. My buddy and I finally got some time together to do a road trip through Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana, three states neither of us have ever been to. The only thing we've booked so far are a one way ticket to San Antonio (arrive April 17th) and a cheap car rental, so we're open to suggestions and ideas. Particularly interested in incorporating more scenic drives, and suggestions for things/places to see on the way

Tentative Itinerary

1) 2-3 days in San Antonio
2) 1 day scenic drive through Texas Hill Country to Austin
3) 2-3 days in Austin (Drive highway 281 to Fort Worth)
4) 1 day in Fort Worth
5) 2 days in Dallas
6) Drive to Shreveport (Not sure if we should spend more than one night or drive straight to Vicksburg
7) 1 day Vicksburg
8) 1 day Emerald Mound and Natchez (Sleep in Baton Rouge)
9) 1-2 Days in Baton Rouge
10) 3-4 Days New Orleans
11) 1 Day in Lafayette
12) 1-2 Days in Houston

Thank you

Last edited by TimTo; 04-11-2015 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,730 times
The only thing I would change is your route, going to Houston after Austin, and finishing out in DFW. You'd miss the 281 drive but coming into Houston from the West side for the first time is awe inspiring (if you appreciate development). Also, I would spend 2-3 days in Houston, and only 1-2 in Dallas (assuming you still spend a day in Ft Worth). Both metros are about equal size, and Houston arguably has more to do than DFW.

Other than that, have a great trip and drive safe! Need any suggestions for things to do? I get the impression you are into nature and history?

Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,790,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTo View Post
Hey Ya'll. My buddy and I finally got some time together to do a road trip through Texas, Mississippi and Louisiana, three states neither of us have ever been to. The only thing we've booked so far are a one way ticket to San Antonio (arrive April 17th) and a cheap car rental, so we're open to suggestions and ideas. Particularly interested in incorporating more scenic drives, and suggestions for things/places to see on the way

Tentative Itinerary

1) 2-3 days in San Antonio
2) 1 day scenic drive through Texas Hill Country to Austin
3) 2-3 days in Austin (Drive highway 281 to Fort Worth)
4) 1 day in Fort Worth
5) 2 days in Dallas
6) Drive to Shreveport (Not sure if we should spend more than one night or drive straight to Vicksburg
7) 1 day Vicksburg
8) 1 day Emerald Mound and Natchez (Sleep in Baton Rouge)
9) 1-2 Days in Baton Rouge
10) 3-4 Days New Orleans
11) 1 Day in Lafayette
12) 1-2 Days in Houston

Thank you
Tell us what you like to do & what you like to eat. Party at night? or no. Hike? BTW, you'll find great BBQ in about 37 of the towns you'll be driving thru.

1) Go to the SA forum & get lots of info (it's a great city).
2) Spend one full day & a night in New Braunfels. Search New Braunfels here on CD & also "Gruene" & google "Gruene", Gruene Hall, tubing the Comal or Guadalupe Rivers. Also visit the downtown NB area (several good restaurants & a beautiful park)
3) Visit the Austin Forum for LOTS of activities. Consider a side trip as you head out to 281 to Fburg/Llano & a hike up Enchanted Rock. Stop in Stephenville, nice little college town.
4) & 5) I'd do 1.5 days in Ft. Worth & 1.5 days in Dallas. (visit the CD board)

I'll let others pipe in on the rest. Consider adding a day to Lafayette. Great town. (dropping a 1/2 day each from BR & NO)

Have fun.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Tell us what you like to do & what you like to eat. Party at night? or no. Hike? BTW, you'll find great BBQ in about 37 of the towns you'll be driving thru.

1) Go to the SA forum & get lots of info (it's a great city).
2) Spend one full day & a night in New Braunfels. Search New Braunfels here on CD & also "Gruene" & google "Gruene", Gruene Hall, tubing the Comal or Guadalupe Rivers. Also visit the downtown NB area (several good restaurants & a beautiful park)
3) Visit the Austin Forum for LOTS of activities. Consider a side trip as you head out to 281 to Fburg/Llano & a hike up Enchanted Rock. Stop in Stephenville, nice little college town.
4) & 5) I'd do 1.5 days in Ft. Worth & 1.5 days in Dallas. (visit the CD board)

I'll let others pipe in on the rest. Consider adding a day to Lafayette. Great town. (dropping a 1/2 day each from BR & NO)

Have fun.
I just realized they gave a full day for the hour drive from SA to Austin. They could easily make a side trip to Fredricksburg/Enchanted Rock, get the sights and a nice hike, and still make it to Austin in the same day.

And yeah, I might go so far as to say drop a full day from Baton Rouge and NOLA.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 5,350 times
Thanks Guys. Definitely going to make some adjustments to the itinerary based on your suggestions. Can you guys recommend some restaurants/places to eat/things to try. I'm a HUGE FOODIE.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:55 AM

11,871 posts, read 26,928,733 times
In Fort Worth, you need to try Reata in downtown, and Angelo's BBQ on White Settlement Rd.

If you like wineries, Fredericksburg is the second largest wine destination in the USA (behind Napa/Sonoma). The 4.0 Cellars is a great stop because it has several wineries under one roof! Sadly, there are a bunch of just mediocre restaurants in Fredericksburg. I have yet to find one that's "foodie" quality.

In San Antonio, Mi Tierra is legendary for their atmosphere and tex-mex food. Personally, I think the bakery's Mexican pastries are better than the food!

Old 04-11-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I just realized they gave a full day for the hour drive from SA to Austin. They could easily make a side trip to Fredricksburg/Enchanted Rock, get the sights and a nice hike, and still make it to Austin in the same day.

And yeah, I might go so far as to say drop a full day from Baton Rouge and NOLA.
100% agree. But they still need to spend a full day and a night in New Braunfels/Gruene. (So whether they travel to Fburg/Enchanted Rock/Llano on a day trip before or after Austin....don't let it prevent them from also spending a day (& night) in NB/Gruene.

Prediction - This thread is going to blow up with food/BBQ/Tex Mex recommendations.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
In Fort Worth, you need to try Reata in downtown, and Angelo's BBQ on White Settlement Rd.

If you like wineries, Fredericksburg is the second largest wine destination in the USA (behind Napa/Sonoma). The 4.0 Cellars is a great stop because it has several wineries under one roof! Sadly, there are a bunch of just mediocre restaurants in Fredericksburg. I have yet to find one that's "foodie" quality.

In San Antonio, Mi Tierra is legendary for their atmosphere and tex-mex food. Personally, I think the bakery's Mexican pastries are better than the food!
Agree with this post. & Mi Tierra's Pralines are otherworldly.

Other SA landmarks - Alamo, the Incredibly historic Menger Hotel (next to the Alamo) - have a dish of mango ice cream there, obviously tour/visit the Riverwalk (across the street & down the stairs from the Alamo), I'm not a foodie, but for good/cheap/fish - I like Sea Island (the lemon/pepper fish is a guilty pleasure), Chris Madrid's Hamburgers, Henry's Puffy Taco, & ask the SA board for 30-40 Tex-Mex dives that will all be keepers.

NB - Gruene Hall, Gristmill, (next to each other & both a must - check their schedule & menu); check out Landa Park, have a float down the Comal, eat at Huisache & Granzin's BBQ.

Marble Falls - Pie at Bluebonnet Café.

Llano - Coopers or Inman BBQ.

Stephenville - Hard 8 BBQ.

Austin - go to the board for dozens of foodie choices & dozens of activity recommendations. Also check out Texas Chili Parlor, Hula Hut, Dirty's & 3-4 BBQ joints that are state (which means world) renowned. Walk up to Mt. Bonnel, drive across the 360 bridge, check out downtown & Zilker park.

Have fun.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:21 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,914,734 times
Add a day to Lafayette and subtract it from Baton Rouge.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,663,169 times
If you are driving close to Slidell LA, you really should stop at Kenney's Seafood ( Kenney Seafood - Slidell, LA | Yelp ) and have a shrimp poboy sandwich. Oh my goodness, it is so amazingly good.

If you pass through Lafayette, stop at Billy's just outside of Lafayette in Scott (it's like one or two exits west of Lafayette). Go there and try the Boudin Balls. Billy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas