Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 74,760 times

Advertisements

This December, Im going to be moving from Michigan to Queretaro, Mexico, where my boyfriend lives. Im planning on driving, and he told me I should cross the border in Laredo, TX. My question is, once I get to Laredo, how do I know where to go to cross the border? I rely on mapquest to get pretty much everywhere, but I dont know if it will help me in this case.

Any info or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM

114 posts, read 511,016 times
Its pretty obvious, I did it a couple of weeks ago. Just go down 35 and there will be signs directing you directly to the pointe international. Be careful I was almost killed two summers ago crossing the boarder in Laredo.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Oh my gosh...almost killed?? Is there anything I should know? Also, it seems like there is soo much conflicting information on crossing the border..is there anything i should know about what's allowed and what's not?

Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,959,660 times
definitely take no guns or ammunition.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM

791 posts, read 2,224,361 times
AlmaGem, are you sure you're going to be driving? Alone? If moving, will you have a car packed with personal goods or a UHaul? Alone? You may want to check into auto ownership and insurances in Mexico before taking that car across the border. Make sure any personal or ownership papers are up to date.

Most people I know walk across to Nuevo Laredo. And like hellpaso says, no guns or ammo or contraband. If you have drugs be able to prove your right to have them and the prescript bottle probly alone won't suffice.

Good luck.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 PM

Wellll I'm not positive about anything yet...but if I were to drive, I would be driving with one other person, so it would probably be 2 females in an SUV. And I am moving, so my vehicle would be packed with all of my personal stuff. Would it be better to fly and get my things shipped..?

Old 08-23-2007, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 63,026 times
I too will be moving to Mexico. I will be leaving in November. Personally I will be crossing at the Reynosa crossing or either Nuevo Progreso. Those are safer from what I understand. I will be driving and probably alone as well with our son. I am meeting my husband over the bridge.
I have crossed before by vehicle and never had a problem. Just be sure to know what you have in your vehicle. Like everyone said, no contraband.
You should be fine. Best of luck on your move.

Kim

Old 08-23-2007, 09:28 AM

26 posts, read 154,690 times
You also need a permit to get your car past the mexican immigration. It costs around $35 dollars that can only be paid with a credit card. Make sure you have the title to you car and an ID.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,223,351 times
Quote:
2 females in an SUV

No, you don't want to do that. Think hard before you do something silly like that.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,389,846 times
um yeah i agree. i work with a HISPANIC male from the RGV who went down past Progreso in his brand new SUV and the Mexican Police just about confiscated his vehicle until they found out that this hispanic male's partner was "someone of importance in the government". From what i have heard, there is lots of LAWLESSNESS there. two females in an SUV, esp Anglo, are like sitting targets....sheesh. you'd have to be pretty dang brave and tough or crazy to drive into interior Mexico by yourselves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV View Post
No, you don't want to do that. Think hard before you do something silly like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas