Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,778 times

Advertisements

Pending on your job field, San Antonio or close to it would be ideal. I retired from the military out of Los Angeles. Though I also did a few stints in the entertainment industry while there, I love the fresh air of south central Texas.

Medical and IT professions are hugh here. Microsoft is creating Silicon South on the west side of San Antonio, while there are hundreds of medical research facilites and medical facility throughout the city and surronding area. CNAs, LVNs, and RNs are in demand. Toyota is also expanding their newest plant to build their Tundra series trucks on the south side.

Seems like every other week, some type of festival or convention is kicking off and the shopping is heavenly. With the outlet stores just 40 minutes north of the Alamo city metro area. Same distance as if you were travelling from San Pedro to Pasadena, but with way less traffic congestion. You're actually moving on the highway (60-70 mph).

San Antonio is expanding, so there is a little bit of congestion, but not 2-3 hours like that of the 110 or I-5. 15-20 minutes slowness up to during he morning rush till 8:30am and evening till 6:30pm

Housing is reasonable rather renting or buying, no matter what city you choose. My wife and I chose a little community called New Braunfels (zip: 78130, 78132, 78133). Rent here runs from $425 for a 2 bd/2 ba apartment. But you can also purchase for the same or little higher for a 2/2 house in the $60-$80 range. Just depend on how much land you want with it. Being greedy, we went for a full acre.

Property tax may seem high if you purchase, but there no state tax. And most of that can be absorbed under federal tax when you file.

We are between Austin and San Antonio and enjoy the best of three worlds. San Anontio has the Alamo, Riverwalk and plenty of shopping. Austin has the best in entertainment, especially in March, and the Austin City Limit series. Being the state capitol, rich in history. Dallas, Houston, and Corpus Christi are also within a few hours drive of San Antonio. So weekends are never boring. You can even drop down to Lake Charles, Lousiana for gumbo.

Other cities we liked around Austin are Round Rock, Pflugerville, Georgetown, West Hill Lake, Manor, Garfield, Buda and Creedmoor. 45 minutes to an hour and we're there!

Recommend you come out and visit Austin and San Antonio for a week, then take time to decide what fits you best. We did three days each in Austin, San Antonio and Dallas before chosing New Braunfels a year in advance before I retired. Orignally, my heart was to settle down in Atlanta, but we got more house and yard for the price. To compare: ATL 4 bd/2 ba, 1/2 acre @ $220k / NB 5 bd with option 6th/3ba, 1 acre @ $175k.

If you're big on Wal-Mart, Costco, or Sam Club like my wife, you'll really enjoy any of he areas I've mentioned.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM

119 posts, read 457,047 times
Ok..so I've lived in Texas my whole life and love it a bunch. When I moved to Colorado for a year though, I realized I must've been a mountain girl in my previous life because I loved, loved, loved being up in the mountains sooo much and I miss it still. I would move there in a heartbeat...particularly Breckenridge...if it was possible. So that being said, I'd choose Colorado if I was from another state and was able to choose.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,750 times
Default leaving san diego for killeen?

i have a great job offer in killeen, but not sure if i would be happy living there after living in san diego. would it be better to live in austin and make the commute? or is that not realistic? any comments please?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 AM

167 posts, read 557,950 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have to confess, now that I'm set on relocating I feel incredibly fickle and indecisive at times but that's the process of decision making I suppose. Anyway, I'm glad I discovered this board... it has helped me a great deal.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoguy View Post
i have a great job offer in killeen, but not sure if i would be happy living there after living in san diego. would it be better to live in austin and make the commute? or is that not realistic? any comments please?
Hm, I don't think that you might be, either! Have you visited yet? Maybe you can make the drive yourself to see what it's all about? Of course, rush hour would be a whole 'nuther animal. Or maybe you can find work in Austin so that you would have a better commute. I lived in Killeen many, many years ago , and live in the DFW area. I like the city, I wouldn't want to live in a smaller town again.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoguy View Post
In Killeen you'll be fairly out in the countryside. The nearest town of any consequence is Temple, then Waco. But Austin on only about an hour away, Dallas two hours and Houston three hours. There are some nice lakes around there.

Depending on what you're looking for in living style will determine your satisfaction. If I can answer any specifics for you then you can DM me with inquiries. I'd imagine that in about five or ten years, Temple/Killeen will be like being halfway between San Diego and LA, commuter wise.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,386,808 times
i didnt think there was anything "countryside" about Killeen! i am moving to Copperas Cove in two weeks, and that is still too "suburbia" for my taste, but luckily i found a rental home waaaaaaaaaaaay out in southwestern Copperas Cove, almost in Lampasas County and my backyard overlooks nothing but some brushy top "mountains" (hey, they ARE mountains to me, after living in the flatlands of South Texas for the past year!)

Old 09-29-2007, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 21,282 times
I agree with bellestaroftexas, I don't think there is anything "countryside" about Killeen either. I live in Copperas Cove which is on the other side of Killeen. My husband is military and has been stationed here 3 times in the past. This is my first time living in this area. I'm from St. Louis and I truly am the typical city girl. However, I really love this area as does my husband. My husband is also from San Diego. As much as this area is different from San Diego, I think most people like it. I seem to hear a lot of negative talk about Killeen, honestly I don't understand why. There are some parts you wouldn't want to live as is the case anywhere. There are a lot of young military people who live there maybe that's why. I think more of the older or more affluent live on the outskirts of Killeen like in Harker Heights, Belton, and Temple. I think Copperas Cove is pretty nice too. We're about an hour from Austin and an hour from Waco.

So, diegoguy, I say take the job in Killeen and maybe find a house in one of the surrounding towns. Although, I don't think Killeen is all that bad. You probably should come visit first. You can find almost any retail store that you would find in a big city, so no, it is not country. Also Ft. Hood is the largest Army base in the world so there has to be stuff to do in this area for all these soldiers and families. I think you'll like it. We plan to retire here.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:54 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,386,808 times
i am SO glad to hear that you like living in the Cove! i am moving there in two weeks-i rented a house almost near the Lampasas County line, in extreme southwestern edge of the Cove. i will be working on Ft Hood at Darnall Army.
would love to hear your recommendations for things like:
best pizza
best take-out Chinese
best bbq
best country chicken fried steak and plate lunches type places
best breakfasts
best Mexican (though it will be a LONG LONG time before i eat Mexican-i have had enough to last a lifetime down here lol)
best restaurants
bars
phone/internet/tv companies
and anything you would like to share with me about living in the Cove!
i love the area my house is in-i am going to put salt licks and deer corn out so me and my dogs can watch deer from my backyard-i have a beautiful view of hill country and brushy top "mountains" (yes they are mountains to me after being stuck down in south texas for a year!)
btw, i am not new to military culture-was married to a soldier and we lived in Ft Stewart, and i worked for the Army for 3 years just recently! HOOAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessjuju3 View Post
I agree with bellestaroftexas, I don't think there is anything "countryside" about Killeen either. I live in Copperas Cove which is on the other side of Killeen. My husband is military and has been stationed here 3 times in the past. This is my first time living in this area. I'm from St. Louis and I truly am the typical city girl. However, I really love this area as does my husband. My husband is also from San Diego. As much as this area is different from San Diego, I think most people like it. I seem to hear a lot of negative talk about Killeen, honestly I don't understand why. There are some parts you wouldn't want to live as is the case anywhere. There are a lot of young military people who live there maybe that's why. I think more of the older or more affluent live on the outskirts of Killeen like in Harker Heights, Belton, and Temple. I think Copperas Cove is pretty nice too. We're about an hour from Austin and an hour from Waco.

So, diegoguy, I say take the job in Killeen and maybe find a house in one of the surrounding towns. Although, I don't think Killeen is all that bad. You probably should come visit first. You can find almost any retail store that you would find in a big city, so no, it is not country. Also Ft. Hood is the largest Army base in the world so there has to be stuff to do in this area for all these soldiers and families. I think you'll like it. We plan to retire here.

Last edited by NOTAM; 09-29-2007 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas