Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,460,210 times

Advertisements

Why move here to this dump? Los Angeles is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I still can't get over the drive through West L.A. Wow!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why move here to this dump? Los Angeles is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Your dump aside, I think she pretty much answered your question in her OP... you should try reading it.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 AM

167 posts, read 557,987 times
Thanks for your replies everyone....and thanks Txcio. ;-) I should mention that if I could afford a home in West LA (a million plus!) I would probably stay here. However, the more I begin looking at relocating somewhere else the more I understand it's not entirely about economics......L.A. is not what everyone thinks.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarewellLA View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and not sure where to begin so I'll just jump in... I have decided to LEAVE LOS ANGELES. I've lived here for 23 years and have had my fill of working hard only to maintain the same relative lifestyle I had 23 years ago. I'm in my early 40s, divorced, female, no children and rent an apartment! I desperately want to own a home but can't seem to afford one here. I want to move to Texas and would like input on what city would most likely suit me best in terms of cost of living, lifestyle, employment opportunities, etc. Thank you!
I'm very happy for you, for leaving L.A. I've lived in Arizona for 7 years now and I really hate it and miss home very much. I'm originally from Texas (outside the Houston area, in Beaumont) and I miss the people, the food, the weather (when there isn't a hurricane threat), and the "it's okay to stay home on a Friday night" attitude. I really miss it very much. Hopefully, in 6 months or so I'll be back to live there for good and get to know my family again.

I think you'll be happy there. What part of Texas are you thinking about moving to?? Good luck to you. It will be a little slower than L.A., but it's peaceful and you can get around traffic better too (Hahaha!!).

Old 09-05-2007, 10:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,714,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Why move here to this dump? Los Angeles is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I still can't get over the drive through West L.A. Wow!!
Actually my wife and I took a very cool road trip to Cali this spring. We found that LA was easily the dirtiest city we've ever been. Maybe it was the time of year/day or whatever, but this pollution I wasn't even used to and the scattered filth (in trash and loiterers) makes Houston look clean!! OC was quite clean but easily the most superficial. However Santa Monica, Malibu, and Santa Barbara were very cool. Yet they are still untouchable with our measly 6 digit household income.

In SoCal, LA/OC has nothing on San Diego!

Old 09-16-2007, 09:31 PM

167 posts, read 557,987 times
Hello everyone; now I'm taking a look at Colorado.......Texas is still a possibility but I want to look at all possibilities before settling in on one place. Other considerations are: Seattle, Portland, or possibly Sacramento. If anyone has any input please send me your input. I'll post on the other forums as well. Relocating is a tough decision so I could use all the feedback I can get. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:16 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,386,808 times
absolutely look at all possibilities...but i just cant give objective input...my heart belongs to Texas and am loyal to this state. Colorado is beautiful but there are too many transplants there (from California!! sorry! if i were to choose a western state, maybe Wyoming or some parts of Montana, still untouched and unaffected........
Seattle and Portland? i am sure the Pacific Northwest has a beauty of its own and Oregon has got to be special because it is one of the TOP states that residents of Hawaii move to, when they are outplaced due to cost of living....i just dont think i could deal with the overcast rain....i fear i would get seasonal affective disorder. i need clear blue skies and sun! good luck in finding the place that makes you happy and please let us know what you decide! just remember, the friendliest folks are in all parts of rural Texas, and even in the not-so-rural parts

Quote:
Hello everyone; now I'm taking a look at Colorado.......Texas is still a possibility but I want to look at all possibilities before settling in on one place. Other considerations are: Seattle, Portland, or possibly Sacramento. If anyone has any input please send me your input. I'll post on the other forums as well. Relocating is a tough decision so I could use all the feedback I can get. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:41 PM

875 posts, read 1,094,312 times
Quote:
Sacramento is very expensive, and extremely HOT in the summer. The smog in Sacto is as bad, if not worse than LA. Both Seattle and Portland have funky weather.

Oregon on the whole is the pits because the state economy is in shambles. They "need" a state sales tax because they have no decent source of revenue. That means they squeeze their underpaid citizens so tight they can't breathe at income tax time. Example: I moved from northern CA to Oregon in 2003. I got a $1500 income tax refund from CA for 2003 and owed Oregon $240.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:55 PM

44 posts, read 246,473 times
Farewell, you sound a lot like me but I am in my teens. To everyone else who thinks SoCal in general is nice.... try living here for 17 years. It sucks. It may be nice to visit for a week, and see the sights, but really, the quality of life is what matters the most.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:51 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 1 day ago)

52,704 posts, read 47,996,677 times
Smile Come On Over

Come to Texas. I promise you that you will not want to leave this place. It has something for everyone no matter where you go. You'll love our large cities, but you'll also love our rural countrysides, too. There's a place for you right here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas