Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
JH6 JH6 started this thread

1,435 posts, read 3,228,560 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to check out a few cities in Texas, and don't know where to start. I have about 9 days, and want to check out at least 2-3 major Texas cities, to plan a move in late 2012.

My background is computer science, with emphasis on computer technician type jobs. My fiance will have her MSW (Master's degree in Social Work), and will be looking for gainful employment.

We are coming from Buffalo, NY. We are very active people who like to travel, looking to rent a house at first for around $800-$900 per month, then we want to buy a ranch in the suburbs for $150k-$200k in a nice safe area.

We have done a lot of research on Houston, Dallas, and Austin. Any of them seemed like they would fit us. Is there any place else I should be looking at?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM

11,898 posts, read 27,024,867 times
AUSTIN, definitely. That is the epicenter of computer activity in Texas.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,078,785 times
Magazine articles (and people) are quick to suggest Austin, but be wary. I'm extremely concerned about Austin's sustainability and being very drought-prone. I know several people who lost homes in the recent wildfires just east of Austin. Traffic was also rated as 3rd worst in the US for another consecutive year.

I think a computer technician and social worker could work in any of the major Texas metros.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,594,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
We are coming from Buffalo, NY. We are very active people who like to travel, looking to rent a house at first for around $800-$900 per month, then we want to buy a ranch in the suburbs for $150k-$200k in a nice safe area.
Some of your requirements match with Austin, but you're way off on price and may need to look at Dallas, which is cheaper. Also, since Austin is considerably smaller than the other metros, be sure one of you has a job before coming. With the massive government cutbacks, your GF may not have the easiest time finding anything.

Austin has the highest COL in the state. You're not going to find houses in a nice area for that price range, though you could get a nice one-bedroom or a decent 2-bedroom apartment. If you kicked it up a few hundred dollars per month, you would start to get some older, smaller houses in your range, though again, they're not going to be in the most desirable neighborhoods.

"Ranch in the suburbs for $150-200K in a nice safe area" isn't realistic either. Even suburbs like Leander and Cedar Park are going to be a long commute from downtown--45 minutes to an hour each way depending where you live. You could definitely find a house in that range there, but if you're looking for a true "ranch" chances are you'll need to go further out and be prepared to pay more. Austin has grown at an amazing rate in the last decade and property within an hour's commute of downtown is getting pricey.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,293,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinH View Post
This is unrealistic goal in my opinion. Depending on where you look, 150-200k may get you a nice home on a .50-.75 acre lot. Open desirable land can range 1,000-5,000 an acre andthats minus a home and live stock. It all depends on what you're raising and the land as to how much you will need. Example, here in West Texas, especially with the drought, we're factoring 60 acres per head of cows. So if you wanted to raise a pair of cows here, you would want a minimum of 120 acres...X 1,500 an acre = 180,000. now some place like East Texas probably only factors in 10-25 acres a head under normal conditions since they get about 40 " of rain a year but the cost of land is probably higher as well. Starting a ranch is very costly, I would figure starting a very small one around 500,000 minus a home but that is just my guess.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,255,511 times
I would add the Tyler and Longview areas to your search. Smaller to be sure, but they have industry which will need computer techs. and I am sure there are social workers as well. Those areas will also be more in your price range.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,646,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This is unrealistic goal in my opinion. Depending on where you look, 150-200k may get you a nice home on a .50-.75 acre lot. Open desirable land can range 1,000-5,000 an acre andthats minus a home and live stock. It all depends on what you're raising and the land as to how much you will need. Example, here in West Texas, especially with the drought, we're factoring 60 acres per head of cows. So if you wanted to raise a pair of cows here, you would want a minimum of 120 acres...X 1,500 an acre = 180,000. now some place like East Texas probably only factors in 10-25 acres a head under normal conditions since they get about 40 " of rain a year but the cost of land is probably higher as well. Starting a ranch is very costly, I would figure starting a very small one around 500,000 minus a home but that is just my guess.
I read the OP as wanting a ranch-style house, not an actual ranch.
For Dallas, your budget for a ranch-style house in the suburbs would still be pretty low without a big commute.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:59 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,293,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
I read the OP as wanting a ranch-style house, not an actual ranch.
For Dallas, your budget for a ranch-style house in the suburbs would still be pretty low without a big commute.

Good luck.
It's subject to inturpitation I guess but they said buy a ranch and not buy a ranch style house.

Quote:
then we want to buy a ranch in the suburbs for $150k-$200k

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,203,925 times
There are PLENTY of single family homes in the Austin area for under $200k.

Do this for any city or town to find prices and number of homes within a certain price range.

In the GOOGLE subject window, type: mls austin tx

Then enter your search criteria in the boxes provided.
There were nearly 900 homes listed for under $200k in various neighborhoods and suburbs around Austin. Not going to find anything very new though. Most older than 1980s construction.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,763,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
AUSTIN, definitely. That is the epicenter of computer activity in Texas.
LOL.

DFW has four times more data center space than Austin. And most of the new space planned is in the DFW area. Almost all the bioscience and nanotechnology and fabs are in the DFW area as well.

As far as population goes, DFW has 4+ times that of Austin.

List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas