Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 26,211 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I want to relocate to Texas..We are currently in Upstate New York (i've read all about the yankee, snowbird bla bla bla nonsense. im not worried about it!...i'm looking all over the US for half way descent job markets)
Anyway, He's a certified math teacher k-12.. How is the job market look for Teachers in Texas? is the cost of living pretty descent? We were looking in the Austin area but open to any suggestions in any area.. thank you for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Austin sounds good. It's a great school district if they have any openings. You might want to also look into San Antonio and school districts in between like San Marcus and New Braunfels. I have a friend from Syracuse who lives in Houston now. She hate's it here and really wishes she could move back upstate New York. So, if you get a job in Houston, I would recommend visiting before moving here.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:28 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coteman212 View Post
My fiance and I want to relocate to Texas..We are currently in Upstate New York (i've read all about the yankee, snowbird bla bla bla nonsense. im not worried about it!...i'm looking all over the US for half way descent job markets)
Anyway, He's a certified math teacher k-12.. How is the job market look for Teachers in Texas? is the cost of living pretty descent? We were looking in the Austin area but open to any suggestions in any area.. thank you for any help you can give!

You can do well in just about any Texas metro, but if your heart is set on the Austin area, then come on over. They've still got growing suburbs and some fantastic suburban school districts with new schools opening each year. And new schools usually mean plentiful hires, so that may be something you can look into.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM

5,452 posts, read 7,746,787 times
Austin is the toughest job market for teachers because UT pumps out so many grads who want to stay in Austin. But math and science at the HS level are the easiest jobs to find.

In addition to Austin you should look at Fort Worth and San Antonio. Fort Worth is very much an up and coming city with a beautiful downtown....probably the nicest in Texas. You have all of Dallas next door but Fort Worth itself is more the size of Austin...big enough to have everything but not overwhelming.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Austin is pretty competitive, but with such a broad spectrum of grades he's able to teach, it will probably make the search a bit easier.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 PM

252 posts, read 724,654 times
Quote:
Austin is the toughest job market for teachers because UT pumps out so many grads who want to stay in Austin.
Austin also attracts graduates from Texas State, which is probably the biggest school for teachers in the state.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Austin also attracts graduates from Texas State, which is probably the biggest school for teachers in the state.
We need health care workers in San Antonio. We are closing and consolidating schools down here.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM

96 posts, read 209,702 times
Check out Ft. Worth. I think you'll find everything you need and want there. Nice area.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,417 times
I have lived in central Texas in the past and am now looking at relocating--I have visited San Antona and wanted to stay! The market is good for registered nurses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas